Events

FedGroup Itec signs Knox

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 93 comments

The FedGroup Itec professional mountain bike racing team announced on Monday the signing of Max Knox, one of South Africa’s most accomplished marathon mountain bike racers.

ccs-2-0-76449600-1395066326.jpgMax Knox has been signed to the FedGroup Itec team and will join Kevin Evans in the team’s quest for a place on the overall podium at the 2014 ABSA Cape Epic which starts on Sunday.

ccs-2-0-22571900-1395066325.jpgFour-time podium finisher, Kevin Evans, is looking forward to challenging for the ABSA Cape Epic title with new teammate, Max Knox. The 2014 ABSA Cape Epic starts on Sunday.

The announcement comes just six days before the start of 2014 ABSA Cape Epic, where Knox will be paired with compatriot Kevin Evans, giving FedGroup Itec – and South Africa – a very real chance of an overall podium finish in the world’s most prestigious mountain bike stage race.

“No South African team has ever won the Cape Epic and we’re excited about the potential of this new FedGroup Itec pairing of Max and Kevin,” said Scott Field, FedGroup Chief Financial Officer. “Both are in very good form right now and both have substantial stage racing and Cape Epic experience.”

“Max has ridden as a back-up rider to the eventual winners in the Cape Epic for a couple of years, but now he will get the chance to go for success himself. He’s a great marathon talent and we’re very pleased to add him to our team, not only for the Cape Epic, but on a permanent basis,” said Gavin Meyer, Itec Managing Director.

Twenty-six-year-old Knox has started six and finished five Cape Epics. The 2012 South African marathon champion switched his focus to Olympic Cross-Country racing in 2013 and is looking forward to returning to endurance events with FedGroup Itec.

“I’ve never had a problem with endurance. My early season training hasn’t changed really this year. If anything, I’ve got more speed and power now combined with my endurance and I’ve not raced much this year, so am very fresh,” said Knox. “I’m looking forward to combining with Kevin for the Cape Epic. You can’t get a more experienced South African to race with. I’m done with being a back-up rider in the Epic. I’m very keen to go for the win for my new team.

“For a decade Kevin and I have been rivals. I think we can learn a lot from each other. I certainly want to win a Cape Epic title my career and I know it’s the one major race title Kevin is missing from his impressive career. It’s the most open Epic in ages and anything can happen in those eight days. But if you’re not in the race with some form, you can’t be in with a shot at the podium. We’re aiming for an overall podium finish for sure,” added Knox.

“Max is a great marathon and stage racer and his pedigree and record are among the best in South African mountain biking. It’s good to see him refocusing on the endurance events,” said Kevin Evans. “It’s a late change to our team for Cape Epic and it took me a bit by surprise. It’s taking a while to sink in that I have gone from African leader jersey contender to overall title contender, which is quite a nice adjustment to have to make.”

In his eight completed Cape Epics, Evans has finished second once, third three times and fourth once. He missed last year’s edition due to illness but is showing good form in the build-up events to the 2014 edition. He was originally paired with Neil MacDonald, a two-time Cape Epic top-20 finisher.

“Neil remains an integral member of the FedGroup Itec team and will be key to our title defence plans at the upcoming joBerg2c and sani2c stage races. The Cape Epic is obviously a high profile goal for us, but we’re committed to success at many other races throughout the year too.

“We’ve secured another top South African racer, Johann Rabie, to race the Cape Epic with Neil. This will be the FedGroup Itec back-up team. Having a back-up team has become the norm for teams that are aiming at the overall title. We are just awaiting confirmation from the Cape Epic organisers on this second team entry,” explained Field.

Related posts

Comments

Rudi Pollard

Mar 17, 2014, 9:26 AM

This is something I did not expect as Max signed with Ghost in December. I would love to hear from Max as to why he changed his mind again...

Wilbies05

Mar 17, 2014, 9:30 AM

Go give it horns and bring it home for South Africa, its going to be a fight but im darn sure you guys will have alot of SA support,

:thumbup:

Grondpad

Mar 17, 2014, 9:35 AM

Good luck chaps!! Two of my favourite riders teeming up. Gonna be cheering big time!

G-Unit

Mar 17, 2014, 9:40 AM

Just checked my calendar to see if it's April 1st...

GLuvsMtb

Mar 17, 2014, 9:45 AM

Didn't Knox and Stewart have a fall out when they raced for DCM Chrome?

rouxtjie

Mar 17, 2014, 9:45 AM

:huh:
flat29

Mar 17, 2014, 9:47 AM

this is going to be EPIC :whistling:

Mousea

Mar 17, 2014, 9:51 AM

Over the Moon this is brilliant news.

Max is back in the fold.

Need to get him his own FedGroup Itec colour ;)

Mousea

Mar 17, 2014, 9:51 AM

Didn't Knox and Stewart have a fall out when they raced for DCM Chrome?

No DCM dropped them

jcza

Mar 17, 2014, 9:53 AM

Waylon Woolcock@WaylonWoolcock 22m

@Cycle_Nation and just like that @neiltchmil gets kicked to the proverbial curb.

Shebeen

Mar 17, 2014, 9:54 AM

where's the welcome max knox to thehub thread, remember him being pretty happy to give it a skip this year.

must have taken some convincing, can one just sommer switch your training so late in the game for this?

Tumbleweed

Mar 17, 2014, 9:56 AM

No DCM dropped them

DCM dropped a lot of people.

rouxtjie

Over the Moon this is brilliant news.

Max is back in the fold.

Need to get him his own FedGroup Itec colour ;)

Hi Bridgie :ph34r:

Rudi Pollard

So fedgroup just replied to me on Twitter...

@RudiPollard @MaxKnoxcycling switched his focus from cross-country. He was looking for an opportunity to return to endurance events.

Isnt this exactly what he did in December when he signed with Ghost for XCO? Something seems fishy to me

rouxtjie

Mar 17, 2014, 9:57 AM

Waylon Woolcock@WaylonWoolcock 22m

@Cycle_Nation and just like that @neiltchmil gets kicked to the proverbial curb.

oooo eh eh... :eek: monday is off to a great start

awesme

Mar 17, 2014, 10:04 AM

awesome awesome

My fav team :)

G

awesme

Mar 17, 2014, 10:14 AM

MR Know will have to change his FB profile picture quick quick.

G

Clinton H

Mar 17, 2014, 10:21 AM

Go boys , leave the politics and race hard !

Grondpad

Mar 17, 2014, 10:23 AM

Cant help to feel this was planned a bit. Getting Max in shape for the Epic is very different from his apparent focus on XCO in 2014. And getting Johan Rabie (a roadie) ready as a backup cyclist with Neil must have been planned in advance.

Anyway, if Max & Kevin is not on the podium they will surely be in Red at the end?

rouxtjie

Mar 17, 2014, 10:24 AM

Cant help to feel this was planned a bit. Getting Max in shape for the Epic is very different from his apparent focus on XCO in 2014. And getting Johan Rabie (a roadie) ready as a backup cyclist with Neil must have been planned in advance.

Anyway, if Max & Kevin is not on the podium they will surely be in Red at the end?

Why is this a given?

Grondpad

Mar 17, 2014, 10:26 AM

Why is this a given?

Please dont misunderstand me. Its not a given. Its just what I am hoping for. I really like both of them and in a team I think they will gooi mielies

Sworks20

Mar 17, 2014, 10:33 AM

So fedgroup just replied to me on Twitter...

@RudiPollard @MaxKnoxcycling switched his focus from cross-country. He was looking for an opportunity to return to endurance events.

Isnt this exactly what he did in December when he signed with Ghost for XCO? Something seems fishy to me

You and many others are saying the same thing and its not good things. Waiting for a bomb to drop here.

amoryns

Mar 17, 2014, 10:47 AM

max is confused...

wil hy nou XC doen of marathons

he goes through sponsors like toilet paper

Jakkals.

Mar 17, 2014, 10:55 AM

I think Max was a bit of the pace over this weekend's xco at Cascades...

surely one bad run cant change your mind from one discipline to another?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment