ccs-58780-0-63252800-1484123178.jpgMichael Ferreira in action during the mountain bike leg of the 2016 Fedhealth XTERRA Lite at Buffelspoort Dam. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg

“I took part in my first XTERRA Lite at Buffelspoort in 2014,” says Ferreira. “Although I tried my hand at a couple of road triathlons, I was always a mountain biker at heart. I was able to make a name for myself in the XTERRA Lite Series. In 2017, however, I will be turning 20, which makes me old enough to move on to the long distance XTERRA. XTERRA Buffelspoort will be my first long distance triathlon. I plan to take part in all three XTERRA SA races: Buffelspoort, Nelson Mandela Bay and Grabouw.”

“The XTERRA Buffelspoort route is definitely world class,” continues Ferreira. “The swim is always pleasant. The bike course is challenging, but also fun with a lot of single track. The run is slow going and tough, exactly what a trail run should be like. The trick is to pace well so that you aren't over extended going into the run. The XTERRA Lite is a good introduction to the sport of XTERRA. The course is of such a nature that the faster you go the harder it gets. Newcomers to the sport can take it slow and it will be a fun, easy race to participate in. My goal at the 2017 Fedhealth XTERRA will be to achieve an overall top ten position.”