Events

Ferreira ready for the full XTERRA challenge

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Reigning Cross Triathlon Junior Elite Men’s World Champion, Michael Ferreira will make his XTERRA “long course” debut on Saturday, 21 January 2017 when he takes on the Fedhealth XTERRA at Buffelspoort Dam.

ccs-58780-0-63252800-1484123178.jpgMichael Ferreira in action during the mountain bike leg of the 2016 Fedhealth XTERRA Lite at Buffelspoort Dam. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg

“I took part in my first XTERRA Lite at Buffelspoort in 2014,” says Ferreira. “Although I tried my hand at a couple of road triathlons, I was always a mountain biker at heart. I was able to make a name for myself in the XTERRA Lite Series. In 2017, however, I will be turning 20, which makes me old enough to move on to the long distance XTERRA. XTERRA Buffelspoort will be my first long distance triathlon. I plan to take part in all three XTERRA SA races: Buffelspoort, Nelson Mandela Bay and Grabouw.”

“The XTERRA Buffelspoort route is definitely world class,” continues Ferreira. “The swim is always pleasant. The bike course is challenging, but also fun with a lot of single track. The run is slow going and tough, exactly what a trail run should be like. The trick is to pace well so that you aren’t over extended going into the run. The XTERRA Lite is a good introduction to the sport of XTERRA. The course is of such a nature that the faster you go the harder it gets. Newcomers to the sport can take it slow and it will be a fun, easy race to participate in. My goal at the 2017 Fedhealth XTERRA will be to achieve an overall top ten position.”

Event Information: Fedhealth XTERRA Buffelspoort

The world’s premier off-road triathlon, XTERRA combines an open water swim, with a challenging mountain bike course and an adrenaline pumping trail run. Each event highlights the true beauty of the area in which it is hosted.

Dates: Event:
Friday, 20 January 2017 Fedhealth XTERRA Kids:
6-8 years (50m Swim, 1,5km Cycle, 1km Run)
9-11 years (100m Swim, 5km Cycle, 2km Run)
12-15 years (200m Swim, 10km Cycle, 3km Run)
Saturday, 21 January 2017 Fedhealth XTERRA: 1.5km swim, 26km MTB, 12km trail run
Sunday, 22 January 2017 XTERRA Trail Run: 12km and/or 6km
Sunday, 22 January 2017 Fedhealth XTERRA Lite: 400m swim, 19km MTB, 6km trail run

Next Up:
Fedhealth XTERRA Nelson Mandela Bay / Eastern Cape 10 – 12 February 2017
Fedhealth XTERRA Grabouw / Western Cape 24 – 26 February 2017

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment