Events

FNB Wines2Whales MTB ride entry auctioned off at Jonkershoek Trail Building Evening

· By Matt · 3 comments

The Jonkershoek MTB Trail upgrade fundraising evening recently held in Stellenbosch was well supported by community members, mountain bikers and lovers of sport alike.

Sarah-Bobby-and-Chris.jpg

Seen here (from left to right): Sarah Harrop, Bobby Behan and Chris Norton (Co-Owner of Stellenbosch based BMT Bike Shop). Photo Credit ~ Cherie Vale / NEWSPORT MEDIA

Sarah Harrop, Media Manager Cape Epic, successfully secured herself one of the key items on auction the evening which was a team entry into the coveted FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Ride. “I attended the 2012 event to support a colleague and friend,” says Harrop. “I’m really stoked with my entry and plan to get on my bike immediately and start training. I’m going to try to be as fit as possible to allow myself to enjoy some wine each evening and still complete the stage the next day. I don’t have a riding partner as yet, but all I need to do is mention on Facebook that I have a W2W entry and need a partner. The position will be filled immediately”.

According to Chris Norton, Co-Owner of Stellenbosch based BMT Bike Shop, the FNB Wines2Whales entry was a highlight for the auction items. “Receiving an entry into the FNB W2W MTB Ride was a generous offer from the organizers of this prestigious event. I took part in my first W2W event in 2012 and can truly say that it is the most organized MTB event that I have taken part in. The fundraiser turnout was fantastic with some old faces that have been around the MTB scene and also youngsters who came out to support which shows that everyone has an interest in improving the trails. The goal of the function was most definitely achieved as we raised close on 70k which will really go a long way to improving the Jonkershoek trails. This sort of fundraising helps for the upkeep of the existing routes and ensures that we can create new and challenging trails which all riders can utilize”.

Items that went on auction the evening included a selection of artwork complements of Paula van Coller Louw, Portchie, Richard Scott, Frans Groenewald and Mona Hauman, spectacular block mounted photographs by local photographers Cherie Vale of NEWSPORT MEDIA, Chris Hitchcock and Gary Perkin, a sculpture by Strijdom van der Merwe, an autographed Darly Impey Replica Yellow Jersey, entries into the Ride The Rhino, Slanghoek Triathlon, New Balance IMPI Challenge and more.

The proceeds raised will go towards the Jonkershoek MTB Trail project. This project was started by a group of local mountain bikers that frequent the trail.

Related posts

Comments

Francois Pienaar

Jul 15, 2013, 8:31 PM

Why is there so little chatter about this event?

Francois Pienaar

Jul 15, 2013, 8:38 PM

Thanks, I actually just saw the topic I started has a couple of ppl discussing it. Cool, can't wait. It's my first time.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment