Events

Four years of dedication brings Murray first SA Triathlon title

· By Press Office · 1 comment

Richard Murray had to wait four years, but on Sunday he finally won his first South African Senior Triathlon title when he was victorious at the SA National Triathlon Championships in East London.

ccs-41808-0-21658400-1395647416.jpg Image credit: Kolesky/Nikon/Red Bull Content Pool

Wikus Weber and Travis Johnston joined Murray on the podium. “What a race! It’s been four years in the making and today it finally all came together for me,” said an ecstatic Murray.

Murray came out of the water in fourth place, but left transition in a group after bridging the gap because of the 400m uphill he had to sprint to transition. “Wian and myself attempted a breakaway, but decided to rather take it easy after the bunch started to catch us 5km into the bike leg.”

According to Murray humidity was big factor on the day. The bike course was also quite challenging because of the rolling hills. “We were a nice bunch together and everyone took their share of the work load. This was a great opportunity to simulate international racing for the guys.”

Murray has always been known for his incredibly fast run and Sunday was no different. He blitz the 10km. “I was feeling really good and pushed hard for first 5km and then kept a good pace till the end. It was a good feeling to run so hard, because I had an easy week of running with all the traveling from Australia.”

It was a big day for the 25-year-old Murray. “It is wonderful to finally win my first Elite South Africa Triathlon title after 4 years. I have been a professional since 2010. It was great to race against guys I have been lining up against for some years now. I can’t describe the feeling of hearing our national anthem on the winner’s podium in SA. Lets hope I hear it again at the ITU World Triathlon Series race in Cape Town on 27 April! It is such an honour and privilege.”

Regarding his swimming Murray is very positive. “My swimming is showing some good progress and I hope this continues for the rest of the season.”

Next up for Murray is the African Continental Championships in Harare, Zimbabwe on 13 April.

Comments

Red Zone

Mar 24, 2014, 8:02 AM

Well done to Murray, damn well deserved

Add a comment

You must log in to comment