Events

Frei & Stigger march on during Stage 4 of Absa Cape Epic

Supplied by Absa Cape Epic.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Sina Frei and Laura Stigger (NinetyOne-songo-Specialized) won their fifth consecutive Absa Cape Epic stage in the Slanghoek Valley today. It means they now hold a near-unassailable 17 minute lead over Robyn de Groot and Ariane Luthi (Salusmed) with three stages to go.

ACE21_S4_IMG_1951_Photo Sam Clark.jpeg
Sina Frei and Laura Stigger during stage 4. Photo credit: Sam Clark.

Early on the stage, it looked like their 2021 Cape Epic domination might be broken. The Computer Mania MTB duo of Cherie Redecker and Adelheid Morath burst into life right from the start. Seemingly startled by the early pace-setters, Salusmed responded, as did the overall leaders NinetyOne-songo-Specialized. The three teams formed the lead bunch, with Luthi and De Groot looking in great form. 

After a sluggish start, Faces CST’s Candice Lill and Mariske Strauss then hauled in the leading riders – not long after the racing led to a bad crash for Luthi. At the finish, she made her way straight to the medics.

ACE21_S4_IMG_1990_Photo Sam Clark.jpeg
Candice Lill and Mariske Strauss during stage 4 of the 2021 Absa Cape Epic. Photo credit: Sam Clark.

“We were going really well and feeling good,” said Luthi. “Candice and Mariske were putting the pressure on – then I am not sure what actually happened. I hit something, went down, and landed on a rock. It was incredibly painful. I gathered my bottle, but I think I was in a bit of shock from the crash and it took me a while to get going again.” 

By now, Frei and Stigger had pulled away but Faces CST was able to claim second place on the day. “After four crashes on four stages of the race my body was kind of in survival mode today,” said Mariske Strauss. “But we pushed through to the end and were glad to take second.”

Lill added, “It wasn’t the perfect day for us and we had some struggles early on but we came back strongly and had a solid finish.”

ACE21_S4_IMG_1805_Photo Sam Clark.jpeg
Ariane Lüthi and Robyn De Groot during stage 4. Photo credit: Sam Clark.

For Stigger and Frei, the comfortable lead meant they could take the time to enjoy the trails – even if the toll of five days of racing is starting to tell. “Every day is a little bit tougher,” said Stigger. “The body is definitely feeling it. But there were amazing trails today and we really enjoyed riding them; that makes it easy to get up in the morning when you know you are going to ride good trails.”

Stigger added that teamwork has been crucial to their successful ride so far. “We’ve had good teamwork. We race together in Europe, we are friends, so that makes it easier to ride and race together.”

Stage 4 Results:

1. NinetyOne-songo-Specialized, Sina FREI, Laura STIGGER 03:19:44.7
  2. Faces CST, Candice LILL, Mariske STRAUSS 03:23:54.4 | +00:04:09.7
  3. Salusmed, Ariane LÜTHI, Robyn DE GROOT 03:25:53.0 | +00:06:08.3

General classification after Stage 4:

1. NinetyOne-songo-Specialized, Sina FREI, Laura STIGGER 18:12:32.2 | 21.9 km/h ave.
  2. Salusmed, Ariane LÜTHI, Robyn DE GROOT 18:29:56.1 | +00:17:23.9 | 21.3 km/h ave.
  3. Faces CST, Candice LILL, Mariske STRAUSS 18:41:01.1 | +00:28:28.9 | 21.5 km/h ave.
Tags:

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment