Events

Frost to challenge for Karkloof Enduro spoils

· By Press Office · 2 comments

2015 KZN Enduro Series champion Hilton Frost is looking forward to getting back on his bike and being part of the Sappi Karkloof MTB Festival’s action once more when he takes on the descends of the Karkloof region during Saturday 9 May’s STIHL Karkloof Enduro.

With the three-leg KZN series having wrapped up two weeks ago, the PYGA Industries flyer has enjoyed some time off of late but is relishing a return to the saddle this weekend as he looks to start his preparations for the upcoming KZN Championships which take place on 6 June.

ccs-62657-0-26355900-1430750178.jpg

PYGA Industries’ Hilton Frost seeks to add the STIHL Karkloof Enduro title to the KZN Enduro Series crown when he takes on this weekend’s Sappi Karkloof MTB Festival at the Karkloof Country Club. // Nick Ferreira/ Gameplan Media.

“It was great to walk away from the KZN Series with the title this year and hopefully things can go well for me at Karkloof this weekend too as I look to get the ball rolling ahead of KZN Champs,” says Frost.

“Karkloof is always such a great event and usually attracts all the big names so I’m sure it will be another super-hot race on Saturday.

“While I don’t look to put too much pressure on myself ahead of a race, it would be great to get onto the podium or possibly even a win,” he adds.

While being a lesser known discipline of mountain biking, enduro has enjoyed tremendous growth throughout KZN and beyond recently and Frost is enjoying being a part of the upward spiral.

“Enduro has been growing so fast and it’s great to see things going so well for the sport!” says Frost.

“A lot of people are now starting to realise that it isn’t nearly as crazy as downhill is while sponsors are also starting to get on board which is really helping with enduro’s growth.”

The KZN Enduro Series visited the trails of the Karkloof in early February whereby Frost clinched second place, something he believes will be to his advantage ahead of this weekend’s clash.

“Having taken part in the KZN Series race at Karkloof I’m sure will help ahead of Saturday.

ccs-62657-0-37533400-1430750183.jpgPYGA Industries’ Hilton Frost is looking forward to Saturday’s STIHL Karkloof Enduro that forms part of the 2015 Sappi Karkloof MTB Festival which takes place at the Karkloof Country Club from 8-10 May. // Nick Ferreira/ Gameplan Media.

“The organisers do however look to make sure that the two races have a different feel and so they usually change the route quite a bit which obviously changes things up.

“Being in the same area, the trails will still be quite similar however this weekend’s race will probably involve a bit more climbing and the individual stages will also be a bit longer than the KZN Series race.

“Riding at Karkloof is always really fun! There will be the odd rock garden on the route but these usually aren’t all that technical and so the racing is usually really fast as the trails are hard and well-manicured!”

While seeking a victory himself, Frost warns that Tiaan Odendaal, Tim Bentley, Jedson Tooms, Craig Paul and the likes are also set to feature prominently in the men’s clash.

Saturday’s STIHL Karkloof Enduro is preceded by Friday’s 20km Karkloof Night Race while Sunday 10 May’s 60km Sappi Karkloof Marathon, 40km aQuellé Half Marathon, 20km aQuellé Family Ride and 10km aQuellé Kids Ride rounds out a thrilling weekend’s cycling adventure for the whole family.

Riders and spectators can follow news and developments via the event’s Facebook page (Karkloof Mountain Bike Club) or on Twitter (@KarkloofMTB) while more information can also be found at www.karkloofmtb.co.za and entries can be submitted via www.roag.co.za.

Comments

May 4, 2015, 5:33 PM

Going to be eventful

vinylguy

May 4, 2015, 5:39 PM

Will be my wife and I first enduro event

Add a comment

You must log in to comment