Events

Gauteng to host SA XCO and DHI Championships in July

· By Press Office · 4 comments

Gauteng will be hosting the once-off 2014 South African National MTB Championships, which incorporates the cross-country and downhill disciplines, at Thaba Trails near Alberton from 19-20 July.

ccs-41808-0-56811500-1400671354.jpg

Track builders at the rock garden and drop-off dubbed “number six”, which is nearing completion.

Race organiser Wendell Bole has hosted several National Cup races over the past few years, and is tweaking the routes ahead of the prestigious championship event this winter.

The cross-country (XCO) track currently measures between 4-4.5km, and includes a few new rock gardens to bring the total to seven. Each technical section also offers a “B-line” for the less technical riders.

More rocks have been added to the downhill (DHI) track, which has also been revamped since the 2013 National Cup Series event. Bole estimates that the re-worked track adds approximately 15-20 seconds to the descent.

Route maps and route profiles are not yet finalised and will be disseminated in due course, as will entry details and a list of recommended accommodation options in the area.

Comments

DieVlieg

May 21, 2014, 1:01 PM

I could only dream.

RussT

May 22, 2014, 7:47 AM

Great to have some Cross Country to watch in good old JHB

milky4130

Jun 17, 2014, 12:43 PM

Guys i want to come up for this where about is the best place to book accommodation, Protea Hotels / City Lodges at the airport perhaps, is it any good & will i get sleep?

Warren911

Jun 17, 2014, 12:46 PM

Brilliant, Wendell has really made some great tracks. Can't wait for this

Add a comment

You must log in to comment