Events

Get ready for the 2015 Absa Cape Epic new route

· By Press Office · 25 comments

The annual highlight on the Absa Cape Epic calendar (besides the race of course) is just around the corner! The much-anticipated launch of the 2015 route will take place in the mother city for the very first time on 22 October.

ccs-62657-0-13186100-1409574668.jpg

Photo Credit: Stage01 Nick Muzik/Cape Epic

The Westin Cape Town, on the foreshore, will host this prestigious event, and promises to be a spectacular night for all guests. Everyone is welcome to join so don’t miss this opportunity. Mingle with sporting heroes, accomplished adventurers, artists and the entire Epic family. Internationally acclaimed artist Richard Scott is busy with a series of works inspired by each stage of the 2015 Absa Cape Epic, which will be on auction after the launch.

ccs-62657-0-62001500-1409574665.jpg

Photo credit: STG5 Sam Clark/Cape Epic

Those out of Cape Town will be able to see the new route announced on www.cape-epic.com at the comfort of their own homes.

The Absa Cape Epic takes place in the Western Cape in South Africa but the route changes every year and planning starts well before a year in advance, with a team of route designers constantly scouting out new trails across the Western Cape.

In August – seven months ahead of the event – a trial ride of all complete stages is carried out by staff and key crew members, including the route designers. The course is then signed off for the 1200 athletes who will take part in the 2015 event.

Chris Whitfield has completed four Absa Cape Epics in the past and was part of the trial ride team this year: “It was quite an eye-opener how much work goes into getting the course right. All sorts of factors are taken into account to design a route that challenges the pros but is not completely impossible for the amateurs.”

“It also involves a lot of local assistance, typically from destination partners, venues and farmers along the route, appreciated by riders and supporters alike. Riders will be relieved to hear that some of the worst hills on the trial ride have been removed … but only after we had to slog over them.”

By route launch the obstacles have largely been removed and the cycling community is ready for one of the most anticipated events of the year – the unveiling of the following year’s new route.

Don’t miss this special occasion!

Related posts

Comments

Cassie

Sep 1, 2014, 1:40 PM

A little birdie (actualy our local newspaper) told me the 2015 Epic finish at Lourensford will be no more!! Too much traffic problems apparently...

Carmichael

Sep 1, 2014, 1:43 PM

Also heard that!! Wonder where now?

arendoog

Sep 1, 2014, 1:45 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but i am not waiting in anticipation .Only in the Ladies & Bicycles thread that happens

milky4130

Sep 1, 2014, 10:08 PM

Little birdie told me the prologue will be somewhere on Table mountain in 2015?

Pieterg

Sep 1, 2014, 10:47 PM

Also want to see where they are going!!

Swart Kat

Sep 2, 2014, 5:21 AM

I know where they gonna be....

Cassie

Sep 2, 2014, 5:28 AM

Don't tell us!! we like the mystery!!

Pure Savage

Sep 2, 2014, 5:29 AM

Heard the prologue is up to the mast.

Headshot

Sep 2, 2014, 9:44 AM

Flippit, man I can hardly contain myself. The suspense! Where will those pampered pro's go to hammer more district roads into submission. Far more interested in the Munga route and race.

maddox

Sep 2, 2014, 10:35 AM

They will traversing some of the winefarms in constantia - apparently coming out somewhere near the Nek.

Sitting slip

Sep 2, 2014, 10:48 AM

greenpoint stadium finish

I FLY

Sep 2, 2014, 10:54 AM

I have not done this race for a few years now and have no intention of going to do it again. So I don't get excited about the route reveal and would certainly not attend the launch function.

I will look at the route profiles and destination towns closer to the race for interest sake in the same way that I look at other big stage races in RSA.

Is there still the hype and buzz for other riders?

Chris NewbyFraser

Sep 5, 2014, 9:18 AM

The Cape Epic is so very same old,same old and is likely to become boring and result in less repeat riders as the years roll by, over the same routes.

Time for Epic to start travelling, for the Epic Journey to hit the trails. Depart from Lourensford, say goodbye and start travelling up the coast to Durbs and then on to the Mpumalanga region. Make this a multi-year year Journey, ending in Cape Town for the 20th anniversary.

Mental Mamba

Sep 5, 2014, 9:58 AM

for some or other reason im doing it again......so for me the route launch will be an interesting one.....

arendoog

Sep 5, 2014, 10:03 AM

The Cape Epic is so very same old,same old and is likely to become boring and result in less repeat riders as the years roll by, over the same routes.

Time for Epic to start travelling, for the Epic Journey to hit the trails. Depart from Lourensford, say goodbye and start travelling up the coast to Durbs and then on to the Mpumalanga region. Make this a multi-year year Journey, ending in Cape Town for the 20th anniversary.

That will be way to expensive and difficult for the celebs and exarro .The entry fee will go to > R100k for the profits to remain the same .Maybe R95k then the riders have to make their own breakfast
Woofie

Sep 5, 2014, 11:16 AM

I also heard it is going to use the stadium...

Woofie

duplicate post somehow....

Woofie

and again...... bliksem :cursing:

Sean Faria

Sep 5, 2014, 11:20 AM

Woofie 3 times !

tubed

Oct 1, 2014, 10:45 AM

Prologue - Waterfront

Stages 1&2 - Elgin

Stages 3&4 - Worcester

Stages 5&5 ???? Upper Breede River Valley?

Final Stage - Meerendal

my guess

Marius

Oct 1, 2014, 10:52 AM

southern subs?? are they on drugs? those roads are tiny designed for one way donkey carts, good luck with traffic congestion, though they trying to prevent that from happening?

Tubehunter

Oct 1, 2014, 11:06 AM

I hope that whatever the new route is, it creates more public trail that is accessible to us down in the Cape. That will get me excited! Would be awesome to see CoCT step up.

Jaco-fiets

Oct 1, 2014, 8:14 PM

Hear it will be super tough. Makes last year's route look like a recovery ride

eraser

Oct 1, 2014, 8:35 PM

Can't wait!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment