Events

GoPro captures gunpoint mountain bike robbery in Somerset West

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 272 comments

Malcolm Fox was bikejacked at gunpoint during a ride in Somerset West on Saturday, 31 May 2014. Unbeknownst to the thieves the events were all captured on his GoPro and the footage used as evidence against them.

From Malcolm Fox’s YouTube video:

MTB ride on Saturday 31st May 2014 from Ongegund, last few km’s before end of session. Armed gunman and 2 others stopped myself and took cellphone, car keys, oakleys and bike.

Fortunately they did not have a clue what a GOPRO was and this is the evidence that will assist in their prosecution!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs8ZrmH8D8

Related posts

Comments

Wyatt Earp

Jun 4, 2014, 9:16 AM

Bump !!!!!!!!!!!

koukie

Jun 4, 2014, 9:17 AM

Die bliksems! I use to ride that road a lot. Crazy! Glad he is okay. Robbers did not look very agressive?

Wyatt Earp

Jun 4, 2014, 9:18 AM

Die bliksems! I use to ride that road a lot. Crazy! Glad he is okay. Robbers did not look very agressive?

Nope, just too much like bullies.

rouxtjie

Wetterse Tikkoppe.....

:thumbdown:

Butterbean

I don't have enough expletives for scumbags like these... The brazen Bastard.

Glad he got the bike back and these douchebags are in some trouble...

GrantRH

Jun 4, 2014, 9:20 AM

the guy had a kinda confused look on his face when he looked up at the GoPro. Wasn't sure whether he wanted to steal it as well or not.

This is a good reason to ride in groups.

Pieterg

Jun 4, 2014, 9:23 AM

Glad you're OK

whattingh

Jun 4, 2014, 9:26 AM

do any one know more specific were was this? Looks more like sir lowry's?

Pants Boy

Jun 4, 2014, 9:28 AM

Mmmm ... Glad he's ok, those tikkoppe obviously had no clue what'swhat.

Rider had a very good chance to ride away right at the start.

Had a very, very clear shot for a left hook as the tikkop grabbed his handlebar with his gun hand, the TK in white was far enough away to not pose an immediate threat ... but I see he was armed as well.

koukie

Jun 4, 2014, 9:29 AM

do any one know more specific were was this? Looks more like sir lowry's?

It looks like the road next to the railway that goes up to bizweni lodge.

jcza

Jun 4, 2014, 9:30 AM

Sub human scum

Jakkals.

Jun 4, 2014, 9:34 AM

4kit

rock

Jun 4, 2014, 9:38 AM

fark me......

deanbean

Jun 4, 2014, 9:40 AM

On Schaapenberg where you cross to go back to the bottom, I enjoy that ride, bliksems

Look at his eyes, tik koppe

BpRlgyFCMAArrTa.png

Scotticus

Jun 4, 2014, 9:41 AM

Yaaaaasis. Glad he's ok.

Scumbags!....grrrrrrrrrrrr

flyluis

Jun 4, 2014, 9:42 AM

Yoh yoh yoh!! i would have sh@t myself!!!

Glad he's okay.

whattingh

Jun 4, 2014, 9:43 AM

glad he is ok but not to be insensitive but that area is known by now as dangerous after a number of incidents. Why is people still riding there? Even more riding there alone? Not trying to be an ass just trying to understand....

gummibear

Jun 4, 2014, 9:48 AM

Not the first time that he is doing this.

Glad that Malcolm wasn't hurt in the robbery.

Cassie

Jun 4, 2014, 9:49 AM

Mmmm ... Glad he's ok, those tikkoppe obviously had no clue what'swhat.

Rider had a very good chance to ride away right at the start.

Had a very, very clear shot for a left hook as the tikkop grabbed his handlebar with his gun hand, the TK in white was far enough away to not pose an immediate threat ... but I see he was armed as well.

I at first also thought so...try and accelerate and gte away...

BUT if you look closely - that dude would have been able to bump him off the bike ...the raod narrows to a gate of some sorts.

#fokkers!!!

Please tell me more about thsi phone tracking app? I thought GPS had to be enable to track a phone? apparently not...

how does it work? do you pay a monthly subscription? All phones or only "new" ones?

I want to get that feature...I always ride alone...

Christopher Brunsdon

Jun 4, 2014, 9:52 AM

I at first also thought so...try and accelerate and gte away...

BUT if you look closely - that dude would have been able to bump him off the bike ...the raod narrows to a gate of some sorts.

#fokkers!!!

Please tell me more about thsi phone tracking app? I thought GPS had to be enable to track a phone? apparently not...

how does it work? do you pay a monthly subscription? All phones or only "new" ones?

I want to get that feature...I always ride alone...

Any new Android phone will allow you to enable tracking. Problem is that it will only work until the battery dies as they guys will have it factory reset and new custom ROM installed.

Also the guys will wrap it in tin foil to prevent any signal coming from the phone.

Rata Del Spruit

Jun 4, 2014, 9:52 AM

He did a great job staying calm. Well handled, Malcolm.

Stretch

Jun 4, 2014, 9:54 AM

stayed calm - did everything right...did I hear him say "its not on"? so maybe tikhead knew it was a camera

edit - just listened loud - no mention of the camera...but damn..as expected the heartrate is clearly hitting 200+

Cassie

Jun 4, 2014, 9:57 AM

Any new Android phone will allow you to enable tracking. Problem is that it will only work until the battery dies as they guys will have it factory reset and new custom ROM installed.

Also the guys will wrap it in tin foil to prevent any signal coming from the phone.

That is IF they are aware of thsi?

My take would be (1) to use an old MTB specific phone...seems this might not be possible?

(2) superglue the SIM card in place!! (for that matter also the battery?)

(3) just hand over said phone if confronted...

optional (4) get a posse together and lynch the muddaF.

Gen

Jun 4, 2014, 9:58 AM

Jissie.. glad he's okay.. but jissie.. makes one so angry

Add a comment

You must log in to comment