Events

High praise for 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek Route

· By Matt · 24 comments

The route for the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek has been revealed and met with high praise from professional riders as well as the committed amateurs that will tackle the fifth edition of the international mountain bike stage race in South Africa’s Western Cape Province this October.

BellCombrinckCPT2013launchweb.jpg

Team Westvaal BMC’s Gawie Combrinck (left) and Nico Bell, the 2012 champions, at the Johannesburg launch of the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek.

Photo credit: Zoon Cronje

The total distance of 549 kilometers over seven days is very reasonable and in line with the organizers’ quest to deliver quality distance, not quantity distance. The ratio of vertical ascent isn’t excessive, but it’s relatively high and indicative of the gradient the route will cover. There’s a total of 11 657 meters of vertical ascent, which is spread very evenly throughout the event.

As with 2012, the 2013 edition incorporates a mountain-top stage finish that’s once again sure to be the main talking point of the race. Day 3, Stage 2 covers a distance of 92km but includes a total ascent of 2760 meters. This averages out to 30 meters of ascent per kilometer, much of which comes in the final 30km.

The final climb up the Swartberg Pass is 12km in distance and climbs 1100 meters, giving it a HC (out of category) rating, unique in South Africa. Also unique is the R100 000 (US $10 000) prize for the first team to cross the finish line.

GeralddeKockCPT2013routelaunchweb.jpg

Master of Ceremonies, Gerald de Kock, addresses the guests at the Johannesburg launch of the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek.

“It’s a relatively short stage, but we have added some tough sections before the riders reach the final climb to the finish. This will ensure that the stage winning team really has to be good allround mountain bikers and not just strong climbers,” said Henco Rademeyer of Dryland Event Management, the organizers.

“We’re constantly looking to add more soul to the Cape Pioneer Trek and with our adjustment in making the route shorter, we’ve been able to spend time creating great riding experiences in some of the most dramatic and varied terrain of any race anywhere,” explained Rademeyer.

“I wouldn’t miss this race for anything. It’s an awesome event with a challenging route” said SCOTT Factory Racing’s Matthys Beukes, who along with teammate Philip Buys, were the top South African team in sixth place overall at the 2013 ABSA Cape Epic.

“We are spoiled for choice in South Africa with great stage races. After having done it previously and seeing the route for 2013, I think this year’s route looks more manageable for the majority of riders, but still very race-able for the top guys,” said Andrew McLean, top veteran racer and Supercycling TV show presenter.

EmileCPT2013launchweb.jpg

Bridge CEO, Emile Aldum (right) at the Johannesburg launch of the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek.

“If the vibe at this route launch is anything to go by, we are in for a great tour of the Klein Karoo in October. I’m amped!” said Oliver Munnik, a top racer for GT bicycles whose Bicycling.co.za blog is based on the quest for hard, but fun racing experiences.

“We had some mechanical issues at the 2012 race, with about a 15 minute delay on the Swartberg Pass stage. I’m chuffed to see that stage is back again in 2013. Hopefully it will be without any delays for us this year. It’s certainly motivating to chase such a big prize, but it’s a tough stage and fitting to be part of a world class race,” said Nico Bell, who along with Gawie Combrinck, won the 2012 edition of the race.

“On paper, it looks easier than it be will to ride,” said Sean Badenhorst, editor of TREAD magazine. “You have to remember that much of the Cape Pioneer Trek takes place in the Karoo region and the terrain is rough and unforgiving. That saps more energy from you than you realize and contributes to the onset of fatigue. This route is not to be underestimated.”

For Bridge CEO, Emile Aldum, the association with the Cape Pioneer Trek has been a positive one on various levels:

“Being involved with Dryland Event Management for the second year running has been rewarding. The value we gained as title sponsor of the 2012 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek was remarkable,” said Aldum.

“Not only does this sponsorship add value to our brand but it also gives Bridge the opportunity to change people’s lives. Bridge is an unsecured lender and credit provider with branches nationwide and feels privileged to have been involved in the communities and towns along the trek (route).”

Once again, the Cape Pioneer Trek incorporates the local communities through which the race passes. This ensures the event receives optimal support and acceptance.

“Securing the community involvement is one of the keys to the ongoing success of the Cape Pioneer Trek. Nobody is as passionate or as proud to be involved as the people of the towns that the race touches. And we are just as pleased to be able to bring a world class sports event to their region and through which they can raise funds needed for important community projects,” added Rademeyer.

The stages for the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek:

20 October: Prologue, 14.8km, 354m ascent – Buffelsdrift Game Lodge, Oudtshoorn

21 October: Stage 1, 105km, 1 768m ascent – Buffelsdrift Game Lodge to Calitzdorp

22 October: Stage 2, 92km, 2 760m ascent – Calitzdorp to Swartberg Pass Summit

23 October: Stage 3, 107km, 1 543m ascent – Prince Albert to De Rust

24 October: Stage 4, 70km, 1 950m ascent – De Rust to Herold

25 October: Stage 5, 70km, 1 698m ascent – Herold to George

26 October: Stage 6, 91km, 1 584m ascent – George to Oudtshoorn

Total distance: 549.8km

Total ascent: 11 657m

There are limited entries still available for the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek. The main focus is on two-rider teams, but there is also a solo category. For detailed 2013 route information and to enter, visit www.capepioneer.co.za

Comments

rattlesnake

Jun 13, 2013, 5:58 AM

Entry sorted, can't wait!

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 22, 2013, 11:15 AM

Entry sorted, can't wait!
Great! Looking forward to seeing you in action!
rpedro

Aug 22, 2013, 11:18 AM

I'm still hoping to win that free entry

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 22, 2013, 11:21 AM

I'm still hoping to win that free entry

Free Entry from Tread Magazine?

rpedro

Aug 22, 2013, 12:59 PM

:o please don't tell me its already over......

1: What is the primary business focus of Bridge?

To provide unsecured small and short-term loans to the mass retail market.

2: What edition of the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek will be held in October 2013?

The fifth edition.

Ranga

Aug 22, 2013, 1:09 PM

Already been won by a lucky person

rpedro

Aug 22, 2013, 1:15 PM

Already been won by a lucky person

#8nooit

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 22, 2013, 1:38 PM

#8nooit

Yes - Sorry... Maybe next year we'll have more sponsored positions available for the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek. We'll still look into that, as we know there's a big demand for sponsored race positions.

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 22, 2013, 1:48 PM

Pick me pick me!!!

Lol - Be sure to send us your Rider Profile / CV if you want to become a sponsored rider.

Next year is still far away - So should give you some time to build on your Rider Profile / CV.

Vinnydabutcher

Aug 22, 2013, 1:55 PM

Going to see if the training/planning/paining over the last few months have paid off.

Heard the boys have no shortage of uphills in that valley - gonna be a gas.

Go till you blow - I guess

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 6:20 AM

Going to see if the training/planning/paining over the last few months have paid off.

Heard the boys have no shortage of uphills in that valley - gonna be a gas.

Go till you blow - I guess

Yip - This year, same as last year, has some challenging sections in the race route, including the hills.

Have a look let us know what you think.

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/race/route/the-route

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 6:22 AM

Certainly will. Hope this year's race goes well.

The event organizers are always prepared - and we trust that all will go well, and that the event will produce lots of memorable moments and relationships.

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 6:37 AM

Among the top South African racers to have already confirmed their intention to compete in the 2013 edition, are Matthys Beukes, Nico Bell, Max Knox, Gawie Combrinck, Lourens Luus, Waylon Woolcock, Erik Kleinhans, Ariane Kleinhans, Kevin Evans, Charles Keey, Darren Lill, Yolande Speedy and Yolande de Villiers.

Source: SuperSport

jcza

Aug 23, 2013, 7:03 AM

Thinking about entering.....

G-Unit

Aug 23, 2013, 7:06 AM

Do it JC, you won't regret it. Just watch out for the fkn bees...

jcza

Aug 23, 2013, 7:09 AM

Only thing that is holding me back is leave, might have to do some unpaid. Should all be sorted in next week or 2. Are you in again G?

G-Unit

Aug 23, 2013, 7:11 AM

Nah, doing 3 towers with wifey. Budget and leave issues.

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

Awesome! Hope that you'll enter - Sure you wont regret it.

You can register here:

Looking forward to seeing you in action!

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 11:27 AM

Lol - Yes, Who can forget the bee incident.

Unfortunately none of us have control over mother nature...

But be sure that the even organizers are always there and on top of their game - as was the case last year with the bee incident. They reacted with tremendous speed and all riders influenced by the incident was taken care of.

Here's to hoping the bees will keep their distance his time...

Mats

Aug 23, 2013, 11:33 AM

One day when I have won the national lottery I will enter.

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 11:44 AM

One day when I have won the national lottery I will enter.

Be sure to send us a message with your Rider Profile / CV attached as we do have sponsored cyclists.

http://blog.capepioneer.co.za/wp-content/gallery/stage-1/dsc_1368.jpg

Mats

Aug 23, 2013, 11:51 AM

Be sure to send us a message with your Rider Profile / CV attached as we do have sponsored cyclists.

http://blog.capepioneer.co.za/wp-content/gallery/stage-1/dsc_1368.jpg

Sorry but I'm a pleb and no race machine.

I just enjoy riding my bike.

So no rider CV for me.

Guest Bridge SA

Aug 23, 2013, 11:54 AM

Sorry but I'm a pleb and no race machine.

I just enjoy riding my bike.

So no rider CV for me.

No Problem - But be sure to Remember the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek in case that lottery ticket pays off... :thumbup:

Guest Bridge SA

Oct 11, 2013, 9:04 AM

Just in case you haven't seen the new Leaders Jerseys for this years Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek, Here they are:

What do you think?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment