Events

Hoffman seizes yellow at Tour of Good Hope

· By Press Office · 26 comments

South Africa’s top road sprinter Nolan Hoffman emerged from the pack to win the first stage of the Bestmed Tour of Good Hope in sweltering conditions at La Paris Estate outside Paarl today.

ccs-62657-0-00553400-1456760909.jpgNolan Hoffman of Team Telkom won the first stage of the Bestmed Tour of Good Hope at La Paris Estate outside Paarl today. Photo: Capcha

After 98km of racing, the Team Telkom rider crossed the line in 2:17:55 to grab the first yellow jersey ahead of RoadCover’s Clint Hendricks and Dimension Data’s Jayde Julius.

In the women’s race, Time Freight’s Lise Olivier also won in a sprint, crossing the line in 2:44:26 to beat former British road champion Sharon Laws and Ariane Kleinhans of Team Spur-Specialized.

“My lead-out was quite solid today,” said Hoffman. “I had HB (Kruger) pulling for me and Reynard (Butler) delivering me with about 300m to go.

“We misjudged where the line was and I had to sprint about 100m further, but Reynard did such a great job.

“When I came off his wheel I was already about five metres ahead. I just had to put my head down and keep powering.

“I think today is confirmation that the legs are good. I hope we can keep building this week.”

ccs-62657-0-82947300-1456760917.jpgDimension Data’s Jayde Julius (left), Team Telkom’s Nolan Hoffman (centre) and RoadCover’s Clint Hendricks were the top three finishers in the first stage of the Bestmed Tour of Good Hope today. Photo: Capcha

The 30-year-old from the West Rand, who will be gunning for a hat-trick in the Cape Town Cycle Tour on Sunday, said they immediately identified it as a stage to go for when the route was changed a few days prior to the event.

“We have two really fast guys in Reynard and myself and we knew the more rolling profile would suit us.”

Hoffman said it was a nervous start and they had to make sure that no big splits went up the road.

After several failed attempts, a group of four – consisting of Konny Looser and Sam Gaze of Songo.info and Chris Jooste and Kevin Patten of ProTouch – got away before the second sprint prime.

“I think we lost a bit of concentration halfway through the stage and let the break slip to about two minutes,” said Hoffman. “I panicked a bit.”

He said they were only able to reel in the last escapee – New Zealand’s Gaze –two kilometres from the end.

“We definitely had our work cut out for us, but my guys delivered me perfectly. So I’m happy with how things panned out.”

ccs-62657-0-55376500-1456760926.jpgAriane Kleinhans (left) of Team Spur-Specialized and Lise Olivier of Time Freight in action during the first stage of the Bestmed Tour of Good Hope today. Photo: Capcha

Olivier, who represented the national team at last week’s African Continental Championships, said it wasn’t a stage that they thought they could win.

“It was quite flat and I figured it would be a bit of a bunch kick.”

But, after winning both sprint primes en route, the 32-year-old, who is hoping for Olympic selection, said she had confidence going into the finish in the nine-man breakaway group.

“I figured there was a slight chance, yes.”

Apart from the professionals and elites, the Tour of Good Hope also caters for the country’s best category racing and open seeded riders. Full results were not available at the time of going to press.

ccs-62657-0-82090200-1456760935.jpgSharon Laws (second from left) in the points jersey and Lise Olivier (second from right) in yellow after the first stage of the Bestmed Tour of Good Hope. Photo: Capcha

Stage 1 Results

Elite men – Stage 1 results

1. Nolan Hoffman 2:17:55
2. Clint Hendricks 2:17:55
3. Jayde Julius 2:17:55

Men elite – Overall after stage 1

1. Nolan Hoffman 2:17:45
2. Clint Hendricks 2:17:49
3. Jayde Julius 2:17:51
4. Rohan du Plooy 2:17:55

Elite woman – Stage 1 results

1. Lise Olivier 2:44:26
2. Sharon Laws 2:44:26
3. Ariane Kleinhans 2:44:26

Elite woman – Overall after stage 1

1. Lise Olivier 2:44:13
2. Sharon Laws 2:44:18
3. Ariane Kleinhans 2:44:22

Comments

intern

Mar 1, 2016, 12:11 AM

Gee Nolan is better off the juice than he was on the juice!

Dicky DQ

Mar 1, 2016, 5:54 AM

Gee Nolan is better off the juice than he was on the juice!

Wait for it, wait for it, it is coming..........

GLuvsMtb

Mar 1, 2016, 6:45 AM

Did someone say "Spanish beef!" ?

Jakkals.

Mar 1, 2016, 7:17 AM

Friday! 

intern

Mar 1, 2016, 7:26 AM

Hot sauce! Hot sauce!

Long Wheel Base

Mar 1, 2016, 8:17 AM

Friday!

We need to move Friday. I'm going to be too busy getting on a plane and hiring car and registering and and and for the CTCT to miss all the good stuff.
Andrew Steer

Mar 1, 2016, 8:41 AM

He's from track cycling... it's the mountain bikers that dope  :ph34r:  :whistling:

Mongoose!

Mar 1, 2016, 8:49 AM

He's from track cycling... it's the mountain bikers that dope  :ph34r:  :whistling:

well said

GLuvsMtb

Mar 1, 2016, 9:06 AM

Every time I look at your profile pic, I want to straighten your helmet ;)

Andrew Steer

Mar 1, 2016, 9:23 AM

Every time I look at your profile pic, I want to straighten your helmet ;)

Twas long ago... and helmet wasn't actually strapped on, just propped on.

I'll get a new pic just for you  :D

Long Wheel Base

Mar 1, 2016, 10:34 AM

Twas long ago... and helmet wasn't actually strapped on, just propped on.

I'll get a new pic just for you :D

Now I want to straighten the shirt in your new pic[emoji1]
bolt67

Mar 1, 2016, 4:35 PM

Once a doper always a doper !

intern

Mar 1, 2016, 7:23 PM

Once a doper always a doper !

Being busted once does point to a certain moral flexibility. And, because it is so easy to evade being caught, it also points to a certain carelessness, too.

Raf

Mar 2, 2016, 5:20 AM

Being busted once does point to a certain moral flexibility. And, because it is so easy to evade being caught, it also points to a certain carelessness, too.

So what your saying is that if not caught, continue to do so...

Logic at it best right there

Tumbleweed

Mar 2, 2016, 5:37 AM

We need to move Friday. I'm going to be too busy getting on a plane and hiring car and registering and and and for the CTCT to miss all the good stuff.

Maybe the hub will have a stand at the expo, and you can catch up there?

SwissVan

Mar 2, 2016, 6:33 AM

For me its Friday every day...or Saturday depends how i feel

SwissVan

Mar 2, 2016, 6:36 AM

It must feel strange for a former doper to stand in yellow / on the podium again.... how do they ignore those thoughts or silent questions they can see in the eyes of everyone watching

CharlesZ

Mar 2, 2016, 6:39 AM

ag Oom saw your dad already booked you guys in at Fishoek. So sort out registration quickly, assembel the bikes and go ride. All sorted and just make sure you are at Taal Monument on Friday

Guest notmyname

Mar 2, 2016, 6:39 AM

It must feel strange for a former doper to stand in yellow / on the podium again.... how do they ignore those thoughts or silent questions they can see in the eyes of everyone watching

They feel nothing. Doing is not immoral in their eyes....

Guest notmyname

Mar 2, 2016, 6:40 AM

Do you think he'd try give me a klap if he wizzed by me in the cradle and I shouted DOPER!

Sparki 1

Mar 2, 2016, 7:43 AM

What's with all the haters? with all the previous doping threads on this hub, we already established that all the top seeded guys dope :whistling: :ph34r:

intern

Mar 2, 2016, 7:48 AM

So what your saying is that if not caught, continue to do so...

Logic at it best right there

You may have an issue with my logic, but I have a problem with your syntax. I have no idea what you're saying - what does 'So what your saying is that if not caught, continue to do so...' even mean?

What I am saying is this: 'Being busted once does point to a certain moral flexibility. And, because it is so easy to evade being caught, it also points to a certain carelessness, too.'

I do believe that is pretty clear; QED, son.

andydude

Mar 2, 2016, 8:58 AM

Do you think he'd try give me a klap if he wizzed by me in the cradle and I shouted DOPER!

Honestly, he's actually a nice guy so he would probably smile and wave.

I hope you have the same attitude to all your friends breaking any laws, by-laws and traffic rules :devil:

pe3nguin

Mar 2, 2016, 9:02 AM

I hope you have the same attitude to all your friends breaking any laws, by-laws and traffic rules :devil:

"Guidelines"

Add a comment

You must log in to comment