Events

Hollard Jozi Urban MTB Adventure to make the Spruit sexy and safe

· By Press Office · 14 comments

Revive and transform Johannesburg’s favourite riding, running and relaxing spot? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

ccs-62657-0-84549300-1408437590.jpg

We are proud to announce that the Hollard JUMA in partnership with City Parks and Johannesburg Water will be upgrading the Braamfontein Spruit in a big way so that whether you’re a birder, horse rider, trail runner, dog walker, Sunday rider or duck feeder you’ll be able to enjoy the beauty of the Spruit safely.

ccs-62657-0-17494200-1408437598.jpg

The Hollard JUMA will pump a whole lot of much needed funds into assisting City Parks, all of which will be used to upgrade park facilities and infrastructure from bridges to drainage. Familiar with the sewerage issues around Alberts Farm? As part of the Spruit upliftment Hollard JUMA will be highlighting and reporting all areas with water related issues to Johannesburg Water to be cleaned up and revamped.

Neil Evans, Master course builder, comments on some of the infrastructure plans:

“Our main focus is on improving the safety of the Spruit for all users and using it as an opportunity to uplift the local community. For the entire project we will be employing the displaced persons living along the Spruit to assist in the build and general clean up of the Spruit. (Goodbye glass!)

On the build side we’re implementing features that will prevent erosion and improve drainage (just in time for summer!) we’re performing maintenance on the existing trails and creating nice new berms for the corners and most importantly creating under road access for major roads like Jan Smuts, Rustenburg Road and Bryanston Drive. All the work being done is in conjunction with the bylaws of City Parks.”

Many local community forums lend their support for the project Iam Tumiel from the Bryanston East Community Forum expands: “It’s great that for a change we have an event that is taking place in the middle of Joburg so we can enjoy everything the city has to offer! The Spruit has recently become a bit of a crime and vagrant hotspot. Getting the community involved, cleaning it up and making it safe again will not only benefit the Mountain Bikers, but all others that want to enjoy this space.

The Hollard JUMA is a great first step and we’d like to reach out to the residents associations in the area to get involved, we can make the Spruit safe and beautiful again, together!”

Whether it’s on two legs, four legs or two wheels we can once again enjoy the natural wonders of the Spruit safely. Want to get involved or have any ideas for the Spruit project? Get in Touch! Email: info@bam.co.za

ccs-62657-0-01481100-1408437610.jpg

The Hollard JUMA is taking place on the 12th October 2014 in Johannesburg and was created in partnership with City Parks and Joburg Zoo. The Urban Hollard JUMA is a race through Johannesburg, turning the worlds’ biggest urban forest into the ultimate mountain biker’s playground with a course build worth over R1.5 million.

Entries opened on the 12 July 2014, to enter visit www.MTBassault.co.za or www.cycleevents.co.za. Entry fees are R220 for the 22km and R350 for the 52km. We challenge you to enter NOW….

Comments

Pusher

Aug 19, 2014, 8:14 PM

Hats off the Hollard for committing the kind money required for this project.

Runbikeswim

Aug 20, 2014, 4:09 PM

So cool to see this!!!

Kerbouchard

Aug 20, 2014, 4:19 PM

Already entered, cant wait

kosmonooit

Aug 20, 2014, 4:31 PM

Maybe next year it can take a loop up and along the Linksfield Ridge, that would take it up to 70 k's, and some decent climbing and 'technicals'

GrantRH

Aug 20, 2014, 9:37 PM

Revive and transform Johannesburg’s favourite riding, running and relaxing spot? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Click here to view the article

So impressed with this!

Really upset that I'm going to miss the race, but will be doing the Berg & Bush that weekend. At least I can come home to it whenever I want. I just hope the trail stays save.

Markdeep

Aug 22, 2014, 1:11 PM

This is really excellent news, I hope they look at the Bryanston section as well which is rapidly turning into a squatter camp.

Ashy

Sep 2, 2014, 2:14 PM

Great stuff. Well done to Hollard for backing this project. I would've entered, if I was in Jozi :)

HollardJUMA

Sep 17, 2014, 5:06 AM

Excited to be hosting you guys and gals!

Nayr

Sep 17, 2014, 5:49 AM

Awesome stuff!!! really looking forward to this initiative and the race...

Pusher

Sep 17, 2014, 7:08 AM

I see that new bridges along the Spruit have been installed and existing ones upgraded. Well done guys. :clap:

Bobbo_SA

Sep 17, 2014, 7:28 AM

@Admin, remove the "mailto:" from the www.mtbassault.co.za link, or link direct to the new name http://www.juma.co.za/

HollardJUMA

Sep 22, 2014, 3:29 PM

I see that new bridges along the Spruit have been installed and existing ones upgraded. Well done guys. :clap:

The lesser spotted Spruit Goblin at work :)

hansiemyburgh

Sep 23, 2014, 6:59 AM

Entered, can't wait to swim with the divers.... :clap:

HollardJUMA

Oct 9, 2014, 3:56 PM

Entered, can't wait to swim with the divers.... :clap:

And the divers can't wait to share their air with you.

And rescue your bike from the bottom of the dam.

Unless you have air shocks.

--Andy

Add a comment

You must log in to comment