Events

Hugo claims gold at Totalsports Challenge Kleinmond

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 0 comments

Just under 700 multi-sport athletes gathered at Gordon’s Bay Beach Front on Saturday, 11 January 2014 to partake in the action of the 12th annual Totalsports Challenge presented by Liberty Medical Scheme and REHIDRAT® SPORT.

ccs-41808-0-63434600-1389598461.jpg

Image credit: Jetline Action Photo

Hugo reclaimed the Totalsports Challenge Champion title completing the 7-disciplined event, which is a combined distance of 123.5km of racing, in an impressive time of 07 hours 06 minutes 53 seconds.

“Finishing second to Stuart Marais in 2013 and crossing the finish line first today were two great experiences for different reasons,” said Hugo. “The 2013 event was an emotional struggle where I was forced to race till I had nothing left, scraping the barrel. Today I didn’t have to do that, which is great as I have another race in two weeks time. Totalsports has invested a lot in multi sport. As a Totalsports Ambassador I am stoked to bring it home for them today and am very happy to have their label on my chest,” says Hugo. Brett Van Coller came in second, while Simon Oosthuizen finished third.

Heleen Rossouw was the athlete to beat in the individual women’s category of the Totalsports Challenge presented by Liberty Medical Scheme and REHIDRAT® SPORT crossing the finish line first in a time of 08 hours 59 minutes 09 seconds. Kim Rew came in second.

The title of Totalsports Terra Firma Challenge Individual Men’s Champion was hotly contested by reigning champion Bradley Weiss and former two time champion Nico Pfitzenmaier. According to Weiss the Totalsports Terra Firma Challenge is a great event to test your body. “Going into the event I was anxious to see where my fitness was at, but I was pleasantly surprised. I felt great and knew that I had a few gears to play with. With Conrad Stoltz not taking part this year the road bike was more tactical with riders taking a reactive approach rather than a proactive approach. I ran steady on the road run focussing on nutrition.

“I had a good lead going onto the mountain bike discipline. I saw Nico catching me, but the event is won by minutes and not seconds, so I took it easy as I knew I had the legs for the run. We entered the beach run together, with Nico dropping early in the stage. I just kept going and didn’t see him again. It was great winning the title in 2013 and I was determined to do it again this year. I am very happy to have done it in the same fashion,” says Weiss who completed the 4-disciplined event in a deserving time of 03 hours 49 minutes 18 seconds. Nico Pfitzenmaier came in second, while Matthew Daneel finished third.

The title of Totalsports Terra Firma Challenge Individual Women’s Champion was claimed by top Bermudantriathlete, Flora Duffy in a time of 04 hours 24 minutes 32 seconds. “Coming into the event I didn’t know what to expect,” says a very happy Duffy. “I was a little worried at the beginning, but soon started to feel fine even though I had a mechanical on the road bike. I ran great on the road, handled my mountain bike well and survived the beach run. The event is fantastic, really well organised. The entire course is gorgeous, picturesque and fun, a unique combination”. Kathrin Walther came in second, while Marilyn Fischer finished third.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment