Events

Hunter retains overall lead as Richeze sprints to stage victory at Mzansi Tour

· By Matt · 0 comments

Argentina’s Mauro Richeze (Nippo – De Rosa) outsmarted South Africa’s foremost sprinters to win the third stage of the UCI 2.2 Mzansi Tour powered by CATHSSETA.

The day really belonged to the international riders who made the most of the tricky technical last few hundred metres to the finish line.

Richeze’s winning time for the stage from Witbank to Mamelodi (147km) was 3 hours 19 minutes and 51 seconds. Germany’s Lucas Liss (Rad – Net Rosa) finished second with South Africa’s Nolan Hoffman (Tasol – GT) being the third rider to cross the line. The top 55 on the stage came within 20 seconds of the winner, which made an exciting finish for the spectators.

The Argentine rider was quite relieved to have a stage victory under his belt. “I owed it to my team to get a good result and today everything played out exactly as it should. I knew that I would be in with a chance to win the stage if there was a bunch sprint.”

Hoffman was content with his third place finish, but hoped for more. “The last few months my main focus was to be at my best for the World Track Championship, so my preparation for Mzansi Tour was far from satisfying.

I was hoping, but did not really expect to, to get at least one podium finish in the tour. Finishing third is certainly a good confidence booster.”

The main break of the day was launched by Nippo’s Fukushima and then joined by three others, South Africa’s Neil MacDonald (FedGroup – Itec), Portugal’s Jose Goncalves (La Pomme Marseille) and Japan’s Shinichi Fukushima (Nippo – De Rosa).

Goncalves decided to attack just before Cullinan proving too strong for Fukushima that left him out on his own over the last 25 kilometres.

It took serious organized effort from the chasing teams to make the catch of a flying Goncalves. He was caught with approximately five kilometres to go when the sprinters took over the dash to the finish line.

Robert Hunter (South African National Team) retains the overall lead of 5 minutes and 50 seconds on Julien Antomarchi (La Pomme Marseille) on second, Fortunato Baliani (Nippo-De Rosa) is in third a further six seconds back.

Results

Stage 3 Results

1. Mauro Richeze, Team Nippo – De Rosa (ARG) 03:19’51”

2. Lucas Liss, Rad-Net Rose Team (GER) ST

3. Nolan Hoffman, Tasol – GT (RSA) ST

4. Theo Reinhardt, Rad-Net Rose Team (GER) ST

5. Herman Fouche, Team Bonitas (RSA) ST

6. Jason Bakke, La Pomme Marseille (RSA) ST

7. Fortunato Baliani, Team Nippo – De Rosa (ITA) ST

8. Leonardo Pinizzotto, Team Nippo – De Rosa (ITA) ST

9. Julien Antomarchi, La Pomme Marseille (FRA) ST

General Classification after Stage 3

1. Robert Hunter, SA National Team (RSA) 12:46’56”

2. Julien Antomarchi, La Pomme Marseille (FRA) +5’50”

3. Fortunato Baliani, Team Nippo – De Rosa (ITA) +5’56”

4. Ian McLeod, FedGroup Itec (RSA) +5’59”

5. Paul Van Zweel, EuropcarSA (RSA) +6’05”

6. David Maree, Tasol – GT (RSA) +7’45”

7. Neil MacDonald, FedGroup Itec (RSA) +8’43”

8. Dylan Girdlestone, Westvaal BMC (RSA) +13’33”

9. Antoine Lavieu, La Pomme Marseille (FRA) +13’49”

10. Dan Craven, WCCA Mixted Team (NAM) +14’40”

Jersey Winners

Cathsseta General Classification Yellow Jersey: Robert Hunter, South African National Team (RSA)

Hollard King of The Mountain Jersey: David Maree, Tasol GT (RSA)

Europcar Young Rider Jersey: JC Nel Team MTN Qhubeka Feeder (RSA)

Cathsseta African Rider Jersey: Robert Hunter, South African National Team (RSA)

Echelon Events Points Classification Green Jersey: Robert Hunter, South African National Team (RSA)

General Classification

1. Robert Hunter, SA National Team (RSA) 12:46’56”

2. Julien Antomarchi, La Pomme Marseille (FRA) +5’50”

3. Fortunato Baliani, Team Nippo – De Rosa (ITA) +5’56”

4. Ian McLeod, FedGroup Itec (RSA) +5’59”

5. Paul Van Zweel, EuropcarSA (RSA) +6’05”

6. David Maree, Tasol – GT (RSA) +7’45”

7. Neil MacDonald, FedGroup Itec (RSA) +8’43”

8. Dylan Girdlestone, Westvaal BMC (RSA) +13’33”

9. Antoine Lavieu, La Pomme Marseille (FRA) +13’49”

10. Dan Craven, WCCA Mixted Team (NAM) +14’40”

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment