Events

Impey wins SA time trail champs, MTN-Qhubeka get silver and bronze

· By Press Office · 15 comments

With a bright and early start, the South African time trial championships took place around the Mbombela Stadium streets this morning. Defending champion Daryl Impey (Orica-Greenedge) was successfully able to defend his title from last year, clocking the fastest time of 53’23” on the day.

ccs-62657-0-13608700-1423120755.jpg

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung had Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Louis Meintjes and Jay Thomson all start in the race against the clock today. All 3 riders put in strong performances to claim the next 3 placing’s on the result sheet. Reinardt secured the silver medal while Louis took home the bronze.

The cool early morning conditions made for super-fast times, with Impey able to average 48km/h for the 42.7km course. Our attention now turns to Saturday’s road race where we will hope to defend our title over the 180km parcours.

“The time trial went alright today. Maybe I started out a little bit too fast because it really started to hurt near the end but I’m satisfied with the result. It was my first time competing in the TT Champs again after winning the title in 2012. Obviously you always want to win but Daryl was just super strong so I can’t complain.”
Reinardt Janse van Rensburg – Rider

Comments

Stiggy

Feb 5, 2015, 8:51 AM

Will the road champs be broadcast on tv?

Long Wheel Base

Feb 5, 2015, 8:55 AM

Will the road champs be broadcast on tv?

+1

Live though. Not later on supercycling in a highlights package.

Stiggy

Feb 5, 2015, 9:09 AM

:thumbdown:

There is surely a growing demand for cycling on tv!

It is sad to say, but will be another poorly attended event (I hope not) and we can't even watch it on tv if we can't make it to the event.

rock

Feb 5, 2015, 11:11 AM

joe public is  just interested in mass participation fun rides or this new thing called mountain biking.....

SwissVan

Feb 5, 2015, 11:31 AM

Soo what / where are the results with time splits

Surely this is something that should be included in the article

SwissVan

Feb 5, 2015, 11:41 AM

Pity u can only comment and cannot download pics, would post the top ten results

Nick

Feb 5, 2015, 11:48 AM

These results?

TT results.jpg

Andrew Steer

Feb 5, 2015, 12:06 PM

That's quite a decent margin to Daryl! 

Impressed as ever by Meintjies - that's seriously impressive for such a small guy. I'd be guessing, but he's probably about 12/15kgs lighter than Reinardt?

Live TV coverage? Surely not too much of a challenge in this day and age.

Is there the interest though? TV is a numbers game...  :blush:

Gandalf

Feb 5, 2015, 12:11 PM

Pity u can only comment and cannot download pics, would post the top ten results

I think you need to go to the forum topic and not the article page,then you can add pics.

I think this is what is happening?

topic:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/147400-impey-wins-sa-time-trail-champs-mtn-qhubeka-get-silver-and-bronze/

Article:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/road/sa-road-cycling/impey-wins-sa-time-trail-champs-mtn-qhubeka-get-silver-and-bronze-r2002

Gandalf

Feb 5, 2015, 12:14 PM

Nico Bell did super well. And that U23, joh, tops! 

SwissVan

Feb 5, 2015, 12:18 PM

These results?

Now you cooking

SwissVan

Feb 5, 2015, 12:24 PM

With the average speeds ;)

post-182-0-85992100-1423139041_thumb.png

HappyMartin

Feb 5, 2015, 1:18 PM

Great!! Hope he wins on the road as well

rock