Events

Incident at Cycling SA Road Champs

· By Press Office · 56 comments

Cycling South Africa regrets to report on the unfortunate incident involving a cyclist and heavy motor vehicle on during the SA National Road Championships on Wednesday 8 February 2017.

Paul Meinking was taking part in the Men’s 60-64 Time Trial event on Wednesday afternoon when the incident took place.

The driver of the heavy vehicle turned across the path of the rider into a nearby property, but then attempted to reverse back out of the driveway. It was here where Meinking (head down and focused on his race) did not notice the vehicle reversing ahead of him and collided into it.

Meinking was assisted immediately by race emergency personal and taken to the nearest hospital. He is in a stable condition.

Thank you to ThinkBike and the BMW Club Marshalls for keeping our riders safe, and to the swift response of the Helivac crew.

Cycling South Africa wishes him a speedy recovery.

Comments

Meezo

Feb 9, 2017, 7:53 AM

wow, really unexpected, strongs to the rider, but damn this is a wake up call for cycling awareness(or lack there of)

shaper

Feb 9, 2017, 7:55 AM

Speedy recovery!!

'Dale

Feb 9, 2017, 8:06 AM

Eina

Sterkte ????????????????

Napalm

Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 AM

Was there no road closure?

Tubehunter

Feb 9, 2017, 8:22 AM

Speedy recovery to the cyclist. With it being South African champs you would think that the organisers would know the riders are going to race head down time trialling. Not too clever to have this on open roads....

Skubarra

Feb 9, 2017, 8:29 AM

Terrible accident, really gutted for Paul - he was hurt badly. Just an update, his knee was operated on last night and this morning they are operating on his back.

OemD

Feb 9, 2017, 8:30 AM

the road is closed for traffic...however the farms on the inside still has access to the route. So, it must have been a farming heavy vehicle. 

All the best to Paul.

varkie2

Feb 9, 2017, 8:34 AM

I also drove past a high school kid on monday just opposite soneike mall where he rode into the back of a stationary car that was parked in the yellow lane. Dont know how he did it. Broke his arm and was pretty bloody in the face and mouth.Its chaos on the roads. I have scaled down my riding a bit during this time and doing more chores around the house and gym/swim. I have a 2 month old at home and it freaks me the hell out to think that it could be me.

rattlesnake

Feb 9, 2017, 8:40 AM

This is just unacceptable. Race organisers really need to start taking responsibility for route safety..... ESPECIALLY at national champs. I place the blame squarely on CSA's shoulders here.

EmptyB

Feb 9, 2017, 8:46 AM

Speedy recovery to the rider.

Still ridiculous during SA road champs that this even happened....

Ttocs

Feb 9, 2017, 8:46 AM

This is just unacceptable. Race organisers really need to start taking responsibility for route safety..... ESPECIALLY at national champs. I place the blame squarely on CSA's shoulders here.

Second this comment. Nice they put out a notice on this, but come on, this is the Nationals

gogo@

Feb 9, 2017, 8:51 AM

Details of how the vehicle landed up on the course?

Slowbee

Feb 9, 2017, 8:53 AM

There be alot of questions here that need answering.

'Dale

Feb 9, 2017, 11:27 AM

Terrible accident, really gutted for Paul - he was hurt badly. Just an update, his knee was operated on last night and this morning they are operating on his back.

Ai ????

RocknRolla

Feb 9, 2017, 11:37 AM

I thought this is exactly the reason for CSA sanctioning an event, Rider safety.

This is competently unacceptable.

CSA is a complete farce, typical of a SA "governing" body.

Speedy recovery to Paul, I hope he lawyers up and takes CSA to book.

Headshot

Feb 9, 2017, 11:42 AM

I heard about this last night from someone doing timing at the event. She didn't know how the rider was so its good to get an official release. You have to wonder how this could happen at a national event...

Patchelicious

Feb 9, 2017, 11:49 AM

I've been on their case about this since yesterday.

Mike Bradleys only response was:

"we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

Rider3000

Feb 9, 2017, 11:50 AM

We im still surprised that this happened but now I can say im not surprised ! This should NEVER have happened.... im gutted to hear that someone will have back surgery and on that age .....? This could affect his life (I hope it doesn't and I hope hes back soon).

it just shows you how FAAAAAAR behind we are in Cycling and in the world overall when it comes to respect for cyclists on the roads!

I too ride on those roads and the farm owners and workers (driver) have total disregard for us... if I had to count the number of times I nearly got ran over by them ill never stop counting... its shocking !!!

Same thing when we had tour of SA (think it was 2011) when drivers threatened to drive into the cyclists lanes and run them over... "wat de *&^* soek hulle op die pad" is what I saw !!!

I totally agree with what everyone said here so far....

Bateleur1

Feb 9, 2017, 11:53 AM

I've been on their case about this since yesterday.

Mike Bradleys only response was:

"we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

Now this is a good time for the CSA to do what they must.  CSA should now lay a charge of Driver negligence and Assault against the driver and get a conviction, then they can say they have done what they can. 

andydude

Feb 9, 2017, 3:10 PM

Guys, apparently the truck ignored marshals and went on the course wherafter the incident happened. Can't really blame CSA on this one, except if you expect them to literally jump in front of the truck?!

Edit: Here is the tweet I saw " @GenOrnsby @AndreSymes @Cycling_SA we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

Bateleur1

Feb 9, 2017, 3:29 PM

Guys, apparently the truck ignored marshals and went on the course wherafter the incident happened. Can't really blame CSA on this one, except if you expect them to literally jump in front of the truck?!

Edit: Here is the tweet I saw " @GenOrnsby @AndreSymes @Cycling_SA we did every possible effort to keep cyclists safe. Driver of truck ignored marshalls & blocked road."

I fully understand that and accept that they have not caused the accident.  I would like to see CSA as the official body of the sport, to be our voice and take on the matter to have people that ignore marshals at events get dealt with.

This is not the first time that people ignore marshals at events and just drive as the like and causing accidents, yet nothing is done about it.  CSA officials are at events and enforce all kind of little rules wrt to licenses and sponsors and clothing and you name it.  As I have said many times before in the last couple of days, we need a body to take on the road safety issue and I am of the opinion that this should be the CSA.

Blackheart

Feb 9, 2017, 3:36 PM

For a National event why are volunteer marshals being used, instead of traffic officials with the correct authority to make the idiot truck driver stop?

Patchelicious

Feb 9, 2017, 3:39 PM

I fully understand that and accept that they have not caused the accident. I would like to see CSA as the official body of the sport, to be our voice and take on the matter to have people that ignore marshals at events get dealt with.

This is not the first time that people ignore marshals at events and just drive as the like and causing accidents, yet nothing is done about it. CSA officials are at events and enforce all kind of little rules wrt to licenses and sponsors and clothing and you name it. As I have said many times before in the last couple of days, we need a body to take on the road safety issue and I am of the opinion that this should be the CSA.

Agreed. But not just CSA, all bodies are needed to address the current road carnage.

We need a voice, and these bodies are our voice.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment