Events

Introducing Bike Hub’s Stolen Bike Database

· By Matt · 52 comments

It’s an unfortunate reality that just about every day we see yet another stolen bike reported in our forums. In an effort to better track thefts, identify stolen bikes and the contact owners of recovered bikes we’ve put together a Stolen Bike database.

main_page_2.jpg

It’s a more organised means of keeping track of reported stolen bikes than the current forum provides.

Bikes are listed with some key information in a set structure (Make, Model, Year) to allow for more useful searching. Along with colour(s), serial number, photos and further details / special features to assist in identification.

The aim is to allow for quicker identification of a stolen bike and an easy means to contact the owner. Additionally, over time the data will give a picture of trends across geographies, brands, etc. to further assist in combating bike thefts.

Reporting a theft
Any registered Hub member can report a theft. The report will include sections for information about the bike along with the date, location and details of the incident.

Once a report is created a forum topic is automatically added to the existing Stolen Bikes forum. Any replies on the forum topic will also be visible as comments on the Incident Report page.

incident_page.jpg

Bike registration
We’ve also added a feature to allow you to privately register your bikes. We often see that people reporting bikes don’t have any or at least any clear pictures or haven’t noted the serial number. The registry allows you to store this info just in case you ever need it (although we sincerely hope you don’t).

Existing reports in the forum
If you’ve already reported a stolen bike in the forum we encourage you to please add it to the database. We will merge comments to ensure a single thread exists for the incident.

report_page.jpg

Take a look – we’d like to hear your feedback and suggestions on what we can do to improve to this going forward.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/

Comments

LOOK695

Dec 4, 2014, 8:38 AM

Great idea. Would all the info relating to serial no, bike description be available for public viewing or only registered hub members?

DIPSLICK

Dec 4, 2014, 8:43 AM

great idea,,,, :thumbup:  :thumbup:

LOOK695

Dec 4, 2014, 8:46 AM

I would suggest to have sub-forums/titles for each stolen bike so that it does not become one huge long thread which becomes difficult to follow

Matt

Dec 4, 2014, 8:46 AM

Great idea. Would all the info relating to serial no, bike description be available for public viewing or only registered hub members?

The details of any bikes you register (to store the info, not report as stolen) are not public. Only if reported as stolen with the details and description be made public. 

However, the serial number of a reported bike won't be displayed publicly at all. You will be able to search based on a serial number. So if you have a serial number of a suspected bike this can be entered in the search field and any matching reported stolen bikes are returned.

Matt

Dec 4, 2014, 8:48 AM

I would suggest to have sup forums/titles for each stolen bike so that it does not become one huge long thread which becomes difficult to follow

When a stolen bike is reported a new thread in the Stolen Bikes forum is created for that bike with a standard format, e.g. 'Stolen: Trek Madone 4.5C 2015 (Cape Town)' 

So all comments / replies will only relate to that incident.

LOOK695

Dec 4, 2014, 8:49 AM

The details of any bikes you register (to store the info, not report as stolen) are not public. Only if reported as stolen with the details and description be made public. 

However, the serial number of a reported bike won't be displayed publicly at all. You will be able to search based on a serial number. So if you have a serial number of a suspected bike this can be entered in the search field and any matching reported stolen bikes are returned.

Can only members search for serial no's or public browsers as well? Needs to be difficult for thieves to access this info
MTBc

Dec 4, 2014, 8:53 AM

very cool.

shaper

Dec 4, 2014, 9:06 AM

Good initiative and perhaps some success of recovering bike will occur.

Especially as there are so many stolen bike threads and the owners do not even have a pic or serial number of the bike... it is their pride and joy, yet they have no pics of the bike and as we know pics help a whole lot more than just a vague description.

Hopefully this will help/force people to take a pic of their bike as well as keep up to date relevant information on it 

BBN

Dec 4, 2014, 9:19 AM

Great idea.

I would like to see more specific fields to fill in when registering like you have done for the classifieds.

'Dale

Dec 4, 2014, 9:56 AM

Brilliant

It's about time.

Thanx, Admin.

Matt

Dec 4, 2014, 10:04 AM

Great idea.

I would like to see more specific fields to fill in when registering like you have done for the classifieds.

We can certainly add more fields. With the focus initially on reporting stolen bikes we didn't want to make the process too prohibitive so currently only ask for the basics. 

Can only members search for serial no's or public browsers as well? Needs to be difficult for thieves to access this info

Anyone who has a serial number can search to see if it matches a stolen bike. But serial numbers are not displayed - I'm not sure if that addresses your concern?

cadenceblur

Dec 4, 2014, 10:12 AM

Well done on this, have to concur with the above suggestions around more detail

Shebeen

Dec 8, 2014, 11:49 AM

I would like to see all LBS using this discreetly to check bikes that come through their shop. eventually all stolen bikes need to be serviced, no.

imagine if a small army of interns could check the argus finish bikepark too?!

Vlakvark T

Dec 8, 2014, 11:51 AM

Well done Brilliant - 

FondTF2

Dec 8, 2014, 12:02 PM

Fantastic Idea

Latent_Blue

Dec 8, 2014, 12:09 PM

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/kfmx.com/files/2013/11/i-approve-baby-with-pipe-meme-150x150.jpg

mazambaan

Dec 8, 2014, 12:12 PM

nice work; recording my serial numbers etc now.

BigBoy10

Dec 8, 2014, 1:10 PM

agree and tanks for setting it up, where do i find my bikes serial number? 

Matt

Dec 8, 2014, 1:20 PM

Most commonly you'll find it on the underside of the bottom bracket. Either stamped into the metal or on some carbon bikes it might just be a sticker.

We'll put together an FAQ section with the all the likely locations soon.

fanievb

Dec 8, 2014, 1:46 PM

Most commonly you'll find it on the underside of the bottom bracket. Either stamped into the metal or on some carbon bikes it might just be a sticker.

except if its a chinarello  :ph34r:

paul_ct

Dec 8, 2014, 7:18 PM

:thumbup:  Excellent. What better site than where cyclists already congregate. :clap:

wessie12

Dec 8, 2014, 7:58 PM

Great idea! We will be able to identify hotspots and patterns with in a few weeks.

Matt

Dec 9, 2014, 9:11 AM

I would like to see all LBS using this discreetly to check bikes that come through their shop. eventually all stolen bikes need to be serviced, no.

imagine if a small army of interns could check the argus finish bikepark too?!

As use of the database grows we plan to roll out easily accessible interfaces for the likes of shops, second hand stores and SAPS to quickly query any serial number or make / model to identify stolen bikes - and find their owner.

We're already regarded as a key platform to report stolen bikes (up until now just via the forum). With easy to use and effective search tools offered to these parties we can make the identification process more streamlined and hopefully, with time, help to tighten the net on bike thefts.

BigBoy10

Dec 9, 2014, 9:34 AM

thank you appreciate 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment