Events

James Reid sees the situation clearly with Prizm

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Prizm™ is a new Oakley technology that fine tunes vision for specific sports and environments. Emphasizing colors where the eye is most sensitive to detail. “These are the best lenses I’ve ever ridden with for tricky light,” says Team Spur’s James Reid, who’s riding his first Absa Cape Epic.

ccs-62657-0-38006900-1458016881.jpgCredit: Johan Badenhorst/Specialized

“They’re incredible in difficult lighting conditions, especially early in the morning where you are going from light to dark very quickly – as here at the Absa Cape Epic,” he says. Prizm™ improves performance and safety by enhancing vision without the compromises of conventional lens tints. Other features include: Sharpening of visual acuity to help riders see more clearly and react faster; and the way in which it enhances colour recognition to help riders spot what you need to see.

“It’s more of a lens that I use to see on singletrack and way better than a standard lens,” explains Reid. “When you’re descending down tricky singletrack with contrasting light, it really illuminates a lot more than what is expected.”

Reid’s teammate, Gert Heyns, unfortunately had to withdraw today after aggravated symptoms from a chest infection.

ccs-62657-0-39617900-1458016880.jpgCredit: Ewald Sadie/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

“Gert has got experience at the Epic and if he tells me that the signs aren’t good then they definitely aren’t. When he wasn’t good, he really wasn’t good,” Reid explains. “Health comes first you have one heart and if you push that you damage your heart. It could’ve been me and he made a very mature call. He’s done enough of these to know when it’s bad,” he said.

Reid will be allowed to continue solo, wearing the special Outcast Jersey for UCI registered riders. “I will definitely start tomorrow and maybe the next day,” he says. “We have Continental champs in two weeks, so that now becomes the main focus. There are some of the world’s fastest riders here so it is good training. I’m also learning – you know – for future years, what the compounded effect is.”

ccs-62657-0-30491500-1458016894.jpg

“I will see how far I can go and use it for good prep, I mean even the first two hours with some of those riders was intense. These guys are incredible, just so much power,” he said.

The race continues tomorrow with a 93-kilometre loop from Saronsberg including some 2200 metres of climbing. As today it promises to be hot and dusty. Stay tuned on http://www.cape-epic.com/livetracking/

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment