Events

Janse van Rensburg and De Bod celebrate team victory at SA Road Champs

· By Press Office · 16 comments

Crowds and supporters of the Mens Road Races could not have asked for more glorious weather on the last day of the South African National Road Championships. The riders did face some wind on the course, but that came as no surprise to the Cape Town conditions, and those at the finish line witnessed Dimension Data for Qhubeka’s Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg alongside teammate and under-23 Winner Stefan de Bod to claim the Elite Men’s race on Sunday 12 February.

ccs-62657-0-66042900-1486968755.jpgRenhardt Janse van Rensburg (left) and Stefan de Bod demonstrated excellent team work at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Sunday 12 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct.

The 14-lap, 179.5-kilometre race began with the usual early tactics and attempts at breaks from the bunch, but the first real move of the day was that of Jacques Janse van Rensburg, Willie Smit, Carl Pasio, Ed Greene, Calvin Beneke and David Maree who formed the “leading six” just 20km in.

Missing in action today was Daryl Impey, who was attending his brother’s wedding, as well as Louis Meintjes and 2016 Road Race Champion Jaco Venter, who withdrew due to illness.

Long into the race was when de Bod took off and was soon joined by Janse van Rensburg.

Another hot topic on the day was Willie Smit, who not only was part of the initial breakaway group of six riders, but also came across the line in third place to claim the bronze medal and his second podium at the championship.

“The team was phenomenal today. We had a plan in the morning and I think the race pretty much went to plan,” said Janse van Rensburg

ccs-62657-0-88908700-1486968754.jpgThe Elite Men’s podium (from left to right) Willie Smit, Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg and Stefan de Bod at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Sunday 12 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct

“Everything worked out really well. Guys like Willie Smit were very impressive today, it’s good to see the local guys coming through. But I’m very very happy to take this jersey to Europe,” he concluded.

The u23 title was claimed by De Bod, with Nicholas Dlamini grabbing the silver medal and Morne van Niekerk coming over the line in third. “It was amazing team work out there today,” said De Bod. “It was windy and it’s not exactly a route that suits me, so I’m pretty happy to have pulled it off. I knew I just had to go full gas and see who follows me. In the end it worked out very well.”

In the 128.7km U19 Men’s race, Jason Oosthuizen finished in first place ahead of Devin Shortt in second and third placed Ryan Terry.

“It was tough at the beginning of the race, because having won the time trial, and having defending champion Devin Shortt there – the guys know that we were strong so they weren’t letting us get away,” said Oosthuizen.

With three laps to go after catching the main break Oosthuizen said that it was just a defending game until the end. “With 150m to go I just put my head down and did what I needed to do,” he said.

ccs-62657-0-64924500-1486968756.jpgThe U23 Men’s podium (from left to right) Morne van Niekerk, Stefan de Bod and Nicholas Dlamini at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Sunday 12 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct

Click here to view your finish line photo and results on Mobii: http://mobii.com/sarc2017/

For more information about the SA National Road Champs and full race results, click here: https://www.cyclingsa.com/2017-sa-road-champs/

SUMMARY OF RESULTS FROM SA NATIONAL ROAD CHAMPS – DAY 6 – 12 February 2017

Road Race

Elite Men

1. Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg 4:33:11:272
2. Stefan de Bod 4:33:11.668
3. Willie Smit 4:34:35.151

U23 Men

1. Stefan de Bod 4:33:11.668
2. Nicholas Dlamini 4:43:36.649
3. Morne van Niekerk 4:43:36.715

U19 Men

1. Jason Oosthuizen 3:56:05.301
2. Devin Shortt 3:56:05.466
3. Ryan Terry 3:56:05.697

Comments

Shebeen

Feb 13, 2017, 10:48 AM

um WTF was that finish?! 

https://youtu.be/7hGXS8CUcFw?t=147

Patchelicious

Feb 13, 2017, 11:37 AM

um WTF was that finish?! 

https://youtu.be/7hGXS8CUcFw?t=147

What do you mean?

Escapee..

Feb 13, 2017, 11:40 AM

What do you mean?

Better side step before the line than most SA Rugby players

Patchelicious

Feb 13, 2017, 12:06 PM

SA rugby players couldn't side step the goal posts if they tried.

Bos

Feb 13, 2017, 1:07 PM

Stefan de Bod is developing into a great young prospect. Hope he is looked after well and some of the international DI Data riders takes him under their wing when in SA.

Shebeen

Feb 13, 2017, 1:50 PM

What do you mean?

I mean...a) they chose the order to finish...both get gold. teammates and all I understand, but not exactly a true 'win'.

b)the whoopsie on the line. ha ha ha!

ps. and i really digged the branding sponsor they got for the finish arch. awesome stuff!

Gen

Feb 13, 2017, 2:13 PM

Stefan de Bod is developing into a great young prospect. Hope he is looked after well and some of the international DI Data riders takes him under their wing when in SA.

He had quite a ride yesterday out on his own for very long and still did the work for JVR once he bridged the gap..quality stuff.

DDD rode a perfect race..

Send one up the road to help later on and secure both titles[emoji106]

Patchelicious

Feb 13, 2017, 2:19 PM

I mean...a) they chose the order to finish...both get gold. teammates and all I understand, but not exactly a true 'win'.

ps. and i really digged the branding sponsor they got for the finish arch. awesome stuff!

No sure, I hear you. But this way DD has 2 jerseys not just the one, and they definitely want the national champs one in their WT team.

However, I think in a head to head JvR would have had him anyways.

Pure Savage

Feb 13, 2017, 2:53 PM

We had zero branding on the finish arch.

City Cycling Athletic Club

Feb 13, 2017, 3:32 PM

not used to the wind with thoose deep sections

Bos

Feb 13, 2017, 6:45 PM

No sure, I hear you. But this way DD has 2 jerseys not just the one, and they definitely want the national champs one in their WT team.

However, I think in a head to head JvR would have had him anyways.

I'm pretty sure the call was made from the car, just to keep an "upset"off the cards. Must have been pretty awkward out there when it was said.

JvR might have had him all the way I agree but it wouldn't have tasted nice. It will leave him hungry though.

Patchelicious

Feb 13, 2017, 6:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the call was made from the car, just to keep an "upset"off the cards. Must have been pretty awkward out there when it was said.

JvR might have had him all the way I agree but it wouldn't have tasted nice. It will leave him hungry though.

Exactly, DeBod must be licking his lips at the opportunity to go fullgas against the WT guys now.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

DeBod is a monster though, for a 20 year old.... jaysus!

'Dale

Feb 13, 2017, 7:21 PM

Exactly, DeBod must be licking his lips at the opportunity to go fullgas against the WT guys now.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

DeBod is a monster though, for a 20 year old.... jaysus!

He's still growing...

Incredulous ????

kosmonooit

Feb 13, 2017, 7:43 PM

We had zero branding on the finish arch.

According the oketjie on the live stream it was taken down due to the Cape Doctor

City Cycling Athletic Club

Feb 13, 2017, 8:04 PM

According the oketjie on the live stream it was taken down due to the Cape Doctor

the engineer who signed off that gantry would have been in trouble if the bunting wasnt taken down. it was a few seconds from being blown flat.

z@z@

Feb 14, 2017, 8:16 AM

Replay link:

http://www.streamit360.tv/Portal/1#804

It was planned for Reinhardt , Debod was beautiful but I wouldn't say stronger to win overall..kudos to his bro for working his ass off ...riding with these guys are on another level!

Regardless of mother nature. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment