Events

John-Lee Augustyn joins Team MTN-Qhubeka

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 15 comments

John-Lee Augustyn will return to professional cycling next year with Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung. The South African returns to the sport after spending time off the bike to recover from a hip injury he sustained while racing as a professional.

ccs-41808-0-42907600-1382362187.jpg

Image credit: www.teammtnqhubeka.com

Augustyn turned professional with Team Barloworld in 2007 and remained there until 2009 before joining Team Sky at its inception. However, he never fully recovered from a crash in 2007 in which he damaged the head of his femur.

He eventually underwent a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing in 2011 and last year decided to take time off the bike to allow his body to recover. After itching to get back to racing, Augustyn has spent time training in Italy and has undergone several medical tests with Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung.

“I’m really happy and motivated,” said Augustyn. “My family and I have made tough choices and sacrifices in the last few years and now they are paying off. I feel I am back where I belong. To be a professional bike rider is a privilege and I’m very proud to be a member of a team from my own country.”

Team Principal, Douglas Ryder welcomed the news: “John-Lee is a super talented South African rider that has seen the absolute highs and lows of cycling. He has ridden every Grand Tour including a top 50 general classification in the Tour de France. We have done a thorough check on his health and he is ready and motivated to get back to the highest levels of world cycling again and we are happy we can give him this chance. He is very positive for next year and his experience will go a long way in supporting and mentoring our team as we make our bid to race in the grand tours of world cycling.”

Brian Gouldie, MTN SA Chief Marketing Officer says: “MTN is very honored to have John-Lee Augustyn choose to sign with the team. There is no doubt that his talent as well as his vast experience will come in handy in the many international races we’ll participate in the next season.”

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung prides itself in being a high performance race team, providing world class coaching and support to the athletes, something Augustyn says he is looking forward to.

“I’ve followed the team’s progress this year and I find it very interested. When I joined Sky as a start up team, they were very innovative and did new things in cycling. I see Team MTN-Qhubeka as the same with taking African riders and giving them the best scientific support in all departments to become the best in the world. I’ve seen the support all the back up staff give and can see the riders really appreciate it as it is world class,” Augustyn concluded.

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung will have 25 riders for the 2014 season. All the riders from 2013 remain and with the new additions, the team will comprise eighteen from the African continent and seven international riders.

Complete 2014 Roster: Gerald Ciolek (GER)
, Ignatas Konovalovas (LTU), Sergio Pardilla (SPA), Jay Thomson (RSA), Louis Meintjes (RSA), Johann van Zyl (RSA), Andreas Stauff (GER), Martin Reimer (GER), Youcef Reguigui (ALG), Kristian Sbaragli (ITA), Ferekalsi Debesay (ERI), Tsgabu Grmay (ETH), Adrien Niyonshuti (RWA), Meron Russom (ERI), Jani Tewelde (ERI), Songezo Jim (RSA), Bradley Potgieter (RSA), Dennis van Niekerk (RSA), Jacques Janse van Rensburg (RSA)
, Jaco Venter (RSA), Martin Wesemann (RSA), Linus Gerdemann (GER), Merhawi Kudus (ERI), Daniel Teklhaimanot (ERI), John-Lee Augustyn (RSA)

Comments

andydude

Oct 21, 2013, 1:37 PM

Great to hear! Whoop whoop!

Chro Mo

Oct 21, 2013, 1:48 PM

Great news!

I think he may have as much talent as Froomey!

Bateleur1

Oct 21, 2013, 1:54 PM

Great news!!

Jaco-fiets

Oct 21, 2013, 1:54 PM

:thumbup:
Andrew Steer

Oct 21, 2013, 2:08 PM

Awesome news, he's a flippin special talent :thumbup:

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

Oct 21, 2013, 2:08 PM

• I know John-Lee and he had told me a couple of months back that he had had complications after his op and would probably never do multi day races again- the pain gets too severe.

I really hope he is now over the worst and it all works out for him.It is possible that he only does the "shorter" races.

lucmccann

Oct 21, 2013, 2:35 PM

Awesome news for both him and Team MTN Qhubeka

BeegMig

Oct 21, 2013, 5:08 PM

Great news. Everyone loves a comeback. Hope he makes it a big one.

'Dale

Oct 21, 2013, 5:28 PM

We'll done , MTN Q for calling up this talent

Cav'

Oct 21, 2013, 5:33 PM

Good news.

Mr X

Oct 21, 2013, 5:40 PM

I hope he does the Epic also, there is a big hole in SA MTBiking after Burry, but I understand that the Tour is much bigger and it will be great to see him in the Tour again. It really looked like he was not going to come back but here he is now out riding the Cape Pioneer Trek.

Mackem

Oct 21, 2013, 8:27 PM

Fantastic news. JLA back where he belongs - in a team with ambition to match his own!

rock

Oct 22, 2013, 7:40 AM

crazy to think how much experience this 26 year old has who basically hasn't been racing for 3 years......he will fit in so well in the MTN camp I reckon, with his new Italy being his home and roots in SA.

Daideron

Oct 22, 2013, 8:53 AM

Linus Gerderman? Was he on MTN for 2013? Nice for the team to have a former TDF yellow jersey wearer. Wishing the team a brilliant 2014 season, and I am sure we will see JLA back at the top (mountains and podiums) very very soon.

Wez-O

Oct 22, 2013, 8:55 AM

Fantastic news indeed! I was just thinking that MTN-Quebeka deserve a sticky thread for such news.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment