Events

JUCA to launch first ever Johannesburg commuter cycling map

· By Press Office · 11 comments

On Saturday 14 March 2015, the Johannesburg Urban Cyclists Association (JUCA) will celebrate a first for the city: the launch of the first ever Johannesburg Commuter Bicycle Map.

The map shows safer, quieter and least hilly cycling routes through the City. Showing the new bicycle lanes built by the City, as well as those that will be built over the next year, the map also includes sites of interest, such as public swimming pools, markets and parks, and key public transport nodes (such as train stations). The aim of the map is to show that it is possible to cycle around Johannesburg, and to encourage people to try cycling as a transport option.

ccs-62657-0-67182200-1425981995.jpg

The map will be distributed for free at tourism agencies, cycling shops, universities, public offices and elsewhere. People can also request a copy of the map through the JUCA website.

The launch of the commuter map is a significant achievement and testimony to the power of partnership. First conceived of by a JUCA, the 100 kilometers of routes on the map were voluntarily tested by a number of experienced commuter cyclists, who gave of their time and energy to test-ride all the routes.

The map also includes journey time estimates. For example, to cycle from Westbury to the CBD, it takes 40 minutes there and 45 minutes back for a cyclist of average fitness and experience.

The production and printing of the map was made possible by sponsors, the University of the Witwatersrand and Levi Commuter, as well as the in-kind input of mapping and design expertise from Esri South Africa and The Content Bar respectively.

“For a community based organization this is a significant milestone”, said David Du Preez, Chairperson of JUCA. “We are very proud of this achievement, and believe that many commuter cyclists – existing and future – will find our map very useful. In the future we hope to develop an mobile digital app based on this map, in order to make it even more accessible.”

Anyone who has an interest in building a more liveable, sustainable and inclusive city through the promotion of commuter cycling is welcome to join JUCA at 300 Commissioner Street, at 16h00 on 14 March 2015 for the map launch.

Copies of the map will be distributed widely at the Cycle Jozi Week from 16-21 March.

Launch Details:

Date: Saturday 14 March

Time: 16h00 – 17h30

Venue: 300 Commissioner Street, Johannesburg (outside Whippet Cycling Company, Maboneng)

All are welcome.

Comments

Joe Low

Mar 10, 2015, 10:13 AM

Looking forward to seeing the on-line version.

scotty

Mar 10, 2015, 12:14 PM

Sounds great in theory, but the special cycle lanes built are been abused. I drive through Braamfontein everyday and see the vehicles parked and driving in the green "cyclists" lane. Yesterday there was even a metro car parked there. 

Not to start a helmit helmut helmet debate but i would expect someone who heads an organization that encourages others to use cycling he is noticeably without one.

http://www.iolproperty.co.za/roller/news/entry/joburg_wants_to_encourage_more

nonky

Mar 11, 2015, 7:50 AM

JUCA's heart may be in the right place but "profiles of commuter cyclists" like this won't endear them to ANYBODY:

"3. Do you feel cycling is dangerous? Why or why not? 

I usually jump red lights, and take nasty gaps – that’s sometimes dangerous!  It could be considered relatively safe because you know the road, the routes (ie, where to get on the shoulder etc) and you know your bike but then it’s really unsafe because sometimes there are open manholes, road construction or bad drivers.  The worst are aggressive drivers, sometimes on Jan Smuts going down hill, when cars have a whole 2 lanes to over take me they still want to get nasty because I’m playing it safe and taking up a whole lane."

OBicycleTouring

May 8, 2016, 8:13 AM

Great idea! But how soooooooon?

kosmonooit

May 8, 2016, 12:37 PM

Whatever cycle lanes in Jhb there are   ... /rant deleted

Zeffer

May 11, 2022, 5:56 AM

How is this for an old topic!

Anybody have one of these maps?

Or any contact with JUCA still?

mecheng89

May 11, 2022, 6:11 AM

Commuting by bike in Johannesburg is like living with a tiger. It may attack you at any moment. 

No thanks. 

dave303e

May 11, 2022, 6:49 AM

cheaper for all to just contribute to opencycle map and make that usable...

kosmonooit

May 11, 2022, 10:23 AM

Riding a bicycle on Joburg roads is a suicide mission, now more than ever. Even in a car its stressful. Every day I am shocked to see how little most drivers care for the rules of the road and other users.

Occasionally I see those pathetic attempts at cycle lanes here, and reminded what a total waste of public money they are, by naive fools who quite frankly had no clue whatsoever.

Danger Dassie

May 11, 2022, 4:49 PM

10 hours ago, Zeffer said:

How is this for an old topic!

Anybody have one of these maps?

Or any contact with JUCA still?

I have a few somewhere. I haven’t any activity or engagement on JUCA channels in ages. 

Pity, I think unfortunately it was mostly driven by tertiary students who a) ended up pursuing careers and b) got worn down by the politics and bureaucracy with the powers that be.

Danger Dassie

May 11, 2022, 5:02 PM

6 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

Riding a bicycle on Joburg roads is a suicide mission, now more than ever. Even in a car its stressful. Every day I am shocked to see how little most drivers care for the rules of the road and other users.

Occasionally I see those pathetic attempts at cycle lanes here, and reminded what a total waste of public money they are, by naive fools who quite frankly had no clue whatsoever.

Riding in any city is a challenge, Joburg certainly presents some unique ones and cycling/commuting here does require grit. Certainly someone starting out riding is going to have a hard time of it.. But to call it suicidal is way over the top.

Even the cycle lanes, while a large portions fell way short, they did have an effect in a short time span of only seven years. It took Holland 40 years. The corridor between Alex and Sandton City is an incredible example of how they can work. Wits through Sophiatown and Auckland Park also provides a decent safety barrier for fair portion of commutable routes. The problem comes in with a lack of impetus for the long term and consistency. The naive fools are those who turned it into a political football. They are the culprits who have wasted public funds and pushed out people who had real vision and talent. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment