Events

Junior squad selected for 2016 European Tour

· By Press Office · 31 comments

Cycling South Africa’s Road Commission has selected a Junior squad that will tour Europe and participate in selected Junior European road races in preparation for the 2016 UCI Road World Championships in Doha, Qatar, from 9-16 October.

European Tour Squad plus Reserves:

Junior Men

Devin Shortt
Enno Albertus Swanepoel
Jason Oosthuizen
Gregory de Vink
Demarco Pillay
Daniyal Matthews
Louis Visser (Non-Traveling Reserve)

Junior Women

Danielle Strydom
Jessica Brown (Going to UCI WCC (SUI) for Track Camp)
Nicolene Marais
Lynette Benson
Anja Gerber (Because Jessica Brown will already be in Europe at the UCI WCC Track Camp, the opportunity presents itself to send an additional woman – Anja Gerber)

The riders were selected based on their local performances so far this year, particularly taking into account their results from the 2016 South African National Road Championships, as well as their performances at the recently hosted Junior Selection Races that were held in Pietermaritzburg from 6-8 May. The National Selectors were present and selections were made based on race performances and race results, with every aspect of the racing being monitored by the Selectors.

Dependent on the standard of the racing of the South African squad riders in the European races, a final team will be selected to compete in the 2016 UCI Road World Championships in Doha, Qatar, from 9-16 October. The number of team riders will be dependent on our Nation’s ranking prior to the World Championships.

Details of travel dates will be announced in due course.

Congratulations on your selection and we wish you every success!

Comments

gummibear

May 18, 2016, 9:37 AM

Congrats to all the riders.....any idea what races they are riding at while in Europe?

Cal Naughton Jr.

May 18, 2016, 10:11 AM

Seems like another selection farce. What's new?

The riders were selected based on their local performances so far this year, particularly taking into account their results from the 2016 South African National Road Championships, as well as their performances at the recently hosted Junior Selection Races that were held in Pietermaritzburg from 6-8 May. The National Selectors were present and selections were made based on race performances and race results, with every aspect of the racing being monitored by the Selectors.

Uhm, no?  :thumbdown:

Guest notmyname

May 18, 2016, 10:21 AM

And did MrDLR make the grade? Sure hope so.

Mongoose!

May 18, 2016, 10:37 AM

who's paying the travelling / accommodation etc.. ?

gummibear

May 18, 2016, 3:36 PM

Parents i guess??

gtr1

May 18, 2016, 4:27 PM

So they had selection races in Pietermaritzburg 2 weeks ago with the idea to select the teams. Then they almost ignore those results and say they mainly used SA's which were 3 months ago as the selection criteria. Then why hold selection races ???

So youngsters who has good results at the selection races don't get selected.

I think it's a cop out to select who you actually want and not based on form or the selection races as was the plan.

Someone who had form 3 months ago is irrelevant now !!

Cal Naughton Jr.

May 18, 2016, 7:16 PM

So they had selection races in Pietermaritzburg 2 weeks ago with the idea to select the teams. Then they almost ignore those results and say they mainly used SA's which were 3 months ago as the selection criteria. Then why hold selection races ???

I think it's a cop out to select who you actually want and not based on form or the selection races as was the plan.

They even selected someone who wasn't at the "selection" race.

Jimmy 2.0

May 18, 2016, 7:31 PM

Jimmy 2.0

May 18, 2016, 7:35 PM

Parents i guess??

Parents are expected to pay while CSA pay fo 0.
gtr1

May 19, 2016, 5:09 AM

They even selected someone who wasn't at the "selection" race.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind this. Why bother with selection race. Costs everyone money and CSA profits from entry fees.

gtr1

May 19, 2016, 6:03 AM

If like any other selection then the parents. You get a letter saying well done you are selected, and then are responsible for all your own costs, even SA kit !!

Bike 123

May 19, 2016, 7:06 AM

Would love to hear the reasoning behind this. Why bother with selection race. Costs everyone money and CSA profits from entry fees.

That's not the case, due to the event was held at a uci Paralympic World Cup, and was purely for selection purposes on how the riders race more than the podiums that they claimed. You can't choose riders purely on podiums if the case is that they sit in the bunch and win a sprint with a modest pace, while in the eu the pace will be much faster and the race will be harder and this rider will not finish as he another rider who knows how to race and is able to make the racing showing that he had the experience and expertise to do so. And they did not benefit from entries as the entries were R100 and there were only +- 40 riders at the event, do the math when you have to pay for 6 officials to fly over plus all other fees.

Another thing is that it was not purely done on selection race and local events. Other factors are taken into play as well as pdi riders

Mongoose!

May 19, 2016, 8:05 AM

Parents i guess??

Will be an expensive trip I guess.

Aurora

May 19, 2016, 8:24 AM

This is why we are loosing all of our top sporting athletes to other countries.

I know of a young guy who did these races and came in within the top 5 and has been in the top finishers for the last year in the U18 age group nationally, he did not get the call up. None of us know why... why bother to have a selection race when the results are irrelevant?

I would love to see him move on to greener pastures next year as he finishes school this year.

BeegMig

May 19, 2016, 8:38 AM

That's not new. SACF / CSA beeen doing it for decades.

I remember a kid finising 2nd on the Junior Tour after having a load of good results on inter-provincials and even some of the big timed races, not getting a call up.

Lots of talent that never got a crack to show the world what they're capable of.

Bike 123

May 19, 2016, 9:00 AM

That's not new. SACF / CSA beeen doing it for decades.

I remember a kid finising 2nd on the Junior Tour after having a load of good results on inter-provincials and even some of the big timed races, not getting a call up.

Lots of talent that never got a crack to show the world what they're capable of.

Had to be noted that the selections race dates were only given 3 weeks before the time so that the people were in form at that time would have an advantage.

Where as at national champs, all the riders knew when the events would be held months in advance and everyone had a fair advantage to prepare themselves for this event.

Meaning that the best rider would win and I'd it not fair that this should count more toward the criteria then the selection race.

Although the selection race was still my just about results but how the riders race taken into consideration as well. As anyone could do well if they have a team racing for them and they say at the back till the finish

Mongoose!

May 19, 2016, 6:46 PM

At the cost for sending a kid over, some parents must be relieved their kid was not selected...lol

gtr1

May 19, 2016, 7:07 PM

That's not the case, due to the event was held at a uci Paralympic World Cup, and was purely for selection purposes on how the riders race more than the podiums that they claimed. You can't choose riders purely on podiums if the case is that they sit in the bunch and win a sprint with a modest pace, while in the eu the pace will be much faster and the race will be harder and this rider will not finish as he another rider who knows how to race and is able to make the racing showing that he had the experience and expertise to do so. And they did not benefit from entries as the entries were R100 and there were only +- 40 riders at the event, do the math when you have to pay for 6 officials to fly over plus all other fees.

Another thing is that it was not purely done on selection race and local events. Other factors are taken into play as well as pdi riders

So if it's about how they race, why have a time trial ?

Bike 123

May 20, 2016, 6:02 AM

So if it's about how they race, why have a time trial ?

To see who can time trial? Why any other reason.

But just because a rider can TT doesn't mean they're going overseas when they can only TT and can't race 120km rr stages

Pure Savage

May 20, 2016, 7:17 AM

This is why we are loosing all of our top sporting athletes to other countries.

I know of a young guy who did these races and came in within the top 5 and has been in the top finishers for the last year in the U18 age group nationally, he did not get the call up. None of us know why... why bother to have a selection race when the results are irrelevant?

I would love to see him move on to greener pastures next year as he finishes school this year.

Drop his name then, at least get him some exposure on the hub.

gtr1

May 20, 2016, 10:03 PM

To see who can time trial? Why any other reason.

But just because a rider can TT doesn't mean they're going overseas when they can only TT and can't race 120km rr stages

So your result in the races isn't important, it's actually about how you raced. TT isn't importent, coz they not selecting to ride a TT.

But wondering, if someone rides a good TT and try's good results in kermesse and road race, why are they not selected.

So in other words it is all subjective, and if so, no need to have a selection race.

With your 3 posts on the hub, you are either a selector defending CSA's position, or a parent who's child got selected regardless of their reults.

Julian

May 20, 2016, 10:24 PM

Can anybody explain why Damean Oosthuizen wasn't selected? I haven't seen or heard more from anyone else in the junior road racing scene than him. Saw an article on facebook about him, he's gotten podium at every race he's entered and on national level as well. If i remember correctly his argus time was 2:39. It doesnt make sense to me how somebody with that talent isn't there? Maybe writing matric exams in that time period, but other than that it's ridiculous to not have him there while there are other names that aren't even heard of.

gtr1

May 21, 2016, 6:03 AM

Can anybody explain why Damean Oosthuizen wasn't selected? I haven't seen or heard more from anyone else in the junior road racing scene than him. Saw an article on facebook about him, he's gotten podium at every race he's entered and on national level as well. If i remember correctly his argus time was 2:39. It doesnt make sense to me how somebody with that talent isn't there? Maybe writing matric exams in that time period, but other than that it's ridiculous to not have him there while there are other names that aren't even heard of.

According to Bike 123 it must be that he does not race well enough :-(

Not just results that are considered. But how they race !!

City Cycling Athletic Club

May 21, 2016, 8:19 AM

So your result in the races isn't important, it's actually about how you raced. TT isn't importent, coz they not selecting to ride a TT.

But wondering, if someone rides a good TT and try's good results in kermesse and road race, why are they not selected.

So in other words it is all subjective, and if so, no need to have a selection race.

With your 3 posts on the hub, you are either a selector defending CSA's position, or a parent who's child got selected regardless of their reults.

Worlds consists of a road race and time trial. this is a squad that will race in europe to prepare for worlds champs. i think only 1 rider will race in the TT and 2 in the RR. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment