Events

Karkloof festival deepens Sappi’s MTB ties

· By Press Office · 26 comments

Back for a second consecutive year as title sponsors of the Karkloof Classic MTB Festival in 2014, forestry giants Sappi are eagerly awaiting the opportunity to reaffirm their commitment not only to the event, but the sport of mountain biking as a whole, when this year’s annual three day trail adventure takes place at Karkloof Country Club in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands from 9-11 May.

ccs-2-0-60865300-1399025819.jpg

The annual three day Sappi Karkloof Classic MTB Festival takes place at Karkloof Country Club in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands from 9-11 May.

Photo credit: Anthony Grote/Gameplan Media

With the vast majority of the event’s six races traversing the hills and valleys of Sappi’s plantations in the Karkloof region, the organisers of the event – one of the largest and most popular mountain festivals in the country – are heavily reliant on the use of Sappi’s land and appreciative of the company’s endless support that has ballooned in recent years.

“While mountain biking has existed on Sappi property for over 20 years, Sappi recently decided to become more actively involved in the sport and has embarked on a strategic path to facilitate the development of safe and enjoyable trail networks across our plantations, which serve mountain bikers, trail runners, hikers and other non-motorised trail users,” explained Sappi Group Head: Corporate Affairs, Andre Oberholzer.

“Sappi assumed the official naming sponsor role for the Karkloof Classic MTB Festival last year as a logical expression of our increased engagement with, and commitment to, mountain biking, particularly in the Karkloof region.”

Without the support of one of the country’s key forestry role players, the popular three day affair would not have been able to establish the reputation that it has of offering some of the best trails in the country for participants to enjoy.

The relationship is however a mutually beneficial one as Sappi too enjoys tremendous value from their association with the event.

“In a world that has rightly become far more aware of society’s impact on our natural environment, it has become important for companies to help their stakeholders separate fact from fiction, misperceptions and myths,” said Oberholzer.

“Our role as a landowner, committed to the best global environmental management practices, is best showcased by inviting people to come and enjoy some time in our tree plantations and our conserved natural areas!

“We have therefore committed to supporting the trail custodians (clubs and bike parks) in their efforts to develop trails for competitive and recreational purposes by ensuring that internationally recognised best practices are also applied in this field and that trail networks are accessible to local communities and visitors alike; and also to support the development of competitive mountain biking in South Africa.

“In doing this we trust that our stakeholders will understand the fundamental commitment we make to being a responsible corporate citizen and that our products and our operations contribute to the building of a low carbon future,” he added.

The ever-present threat of fire is another issue Sappi believes that working together with off-road enthusiasts, can aid in minimising and controlling. “We believe that closer relationships with the mountain biking community will assist us in reducing risks related to fire and illegal activities as well.”

Both the organisers and sponsors of the 2014 Sappi Karkloof Classic MTB Festival are looking forward to yet another memorable mountain biking weekend as the wide array of events offers something unique to each of the MTB community.

Riders and spectators can follow news and developments via the event’s Facebook page (Karkloof Mountain Bike Club) or on Twitter (@KarkloofMTB). More info can also be found at www.karkloofmtb.co.za

Comments

Sidewinder.

May 2, 2014, 11:47 AM

Can't freakin wait! 6 sleeps:)

Robodog

May 5, 2014, 5:03 AM

3 days. 3 events. Gonna be dead on Sunday but in a good way of course. :D

Ryanpmb

May 5, 2014, 5:09 AM

Rode the trails yesterday and I'll be back on them on Wednesday... Good old Karkloof trails plus some great new stuff!

Li Mu Bai

May 5, 2014, 5:55 AM

looking forward to sunday.

blondeonabike

May 5, 2014, 6:08 AM

me too.... :thumbup:

Rotiringer

May 5, 2014, 7:25 AM

Well done to the folk working with sappi to make this happen

aka ninja

May 6, 2014, 6:08 AM

best trails in the country thanks guys!!!

Sephton

May 7, 2014, 6:42 AM

So I entered for my first ever Enduro, hope I don't break a leg with my marathon bike...still have the 60km to do on Sunday! :w00t:

Robodog

May 7, 2014, 9:15 AM

So I entered for my first ever Enduro, hope I don't break a leg with my marathon bike...still have the 60km to do on Sunday! :w00t:

Nothing too technical but there are some steep sections. So just drop your post to half mast for all the down stages... See you there.

garrethk

May 7, 2014, 3:03 PM

Can't wait for Sunday

NOFEAR-ZN

May 10, 2014, 6:55 AM

How's the weather up there today Saturday any rain ?

Stretch

May 10, 2014, 7:35 AM

Very very light and very very intermittent rain here in pmb...I am talking half a mm light

NOFEAR-ZN

May 10, 2014, 7:58 AM

Thanx

Griffin

May 10, 2014, 8:08 AM

Light drizzle here in Howick too. I was out marking the Enduro trails yesterday and it was quite dusty..so a little rain isnt a bad thing (although fine line between just enough and too much!)

Heading out to the staging area around 11ish.

NOFEAR-ZN

May 10, 2014, 8:14 AM

Thanks keep us informed please

Dbnpoizn

May 10, 2014, 9:31 AM

Anyone know how long the main climbs are and hows the race in general? Looking forward to the 60km tomorrow

Stretch

May 10, 2014, 10:34 AM

Climbs aren't too bad... But it is quite a hard race.... if you give it all you'll be glad to see the finish

May 10, 2014, 11:07 AM

Anyone know how long the main climbs are and hows the race in general? Looking forward to the 60km tomorrow

The first climb is not too bad. The real baddy is Libanon climb. It goes on for k's. Save a bit for the last climbof the ride called Pressure cooker. its not steep but the legs are tired and the going is not smooth.

post-40998-0-50430200-1399719900_thumb.jpg

Stretch

May 11, 2014, 1:56 PM

had an absolute blast on the 40km - we were sweeping and basically had empty, ridden in track all the way except for the last 10 ks...not a very technical route...but what a lot of fun with all those berms and mini camel humps

blondeonabike

May 11, 2014, 4:03 PM

Had major tyre problems last night with a tear at the base of my valve...Jimmycool did a macgyver job with a valve cut from a tube and insulation tape( rim tape was stuffed too!). Jimmycool you're the best :clap:

So glad I could ride today

Had a blast on the 40.km. :thumbup: ....What a jol.

jimmycool

May 11, 2014, 5:43 PM

Had major tyre problems last night with a tear at the base of my valve...Jimmycool did a macgyver job with a valve cut from a tube and insulation tape( rim tape was stuffed too!). Jimmycool you're the best :clap:

So glad I could ride today

Had a blast on the 40.km. :thumbup: ....What a jol.

That's good news! Glad it all held together and you were able to enjoy the ride.

Ryan

May 12, 2014, 12:40 PM

Awesome ride! Really enjoyed the single track. Hope the chap with the grey Silverback that fell off near the drop offs is okay.

Stretch

May 12, 2014, 1:57 PM

Awesome ride! Really enjoyed the single track. Hope the chap with the grey Silverback that fell off near the drop offs is okay.

he is fine..we stopped and made sure he was ok. He had a lovely lady rider attending to his needs. they got hold of the organisers and I let them know exactly where he was on the course. I also got the ROAG ladies to phone in and make sure when we got to their water table.......there really should have been a warning about those steep inclines

Robodog

May 13, 2014, 6:19 AM

Any news on the guy who was injured during the night race? He was down on the first lap and they were still putting him on a back board 50 minutes later when we passed hat spot again.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment