Events

Kiwi junior prodigy Anton Cooper romps to World Cup victory

· By Matt · 0 comments

Pietermaritzburg – New Zealand cross country prodigy Anton Cooper confirmed his status as the hottest property in junior mountain biking with a single-handed demolition of the classy field racing in difficult muddy conditions at the cascades MTB Park.

Cooper hit the front early on in the first lap of the four lap course, which was altered on the day, cutting out some of the tougher obstacles after heavy overnight rains. he quickly put space between himself and reigning French world champ Victor Koretzky.

2012D3CooperWins.jpg

Kiwi ace Anton Cooper romped to a lopsoded win in the junior cross country final at the 2012 RockyRoads UCI MTB World Cup Pietermaritzburg at the Cascades MTB Park.

Darren Goddard (cycho.co.za)/Gameplan Media

The 17 year old Christchurch schoolboy, racing in the colours of Trek World racing, didn’t make a mistake as he romped home to a lopsided four and a half minute victory.

Cooper finished second to Koretsky in the junior world champs in Champery last year after bagging two wins on the UCI MTB World Cup circuit last year.

“I had a good start and I got onto the single track first and started to push it from there,” said Cooper. “It was kind of greasy, but I came good and I got used to those downhills soon after. I gradually pulled time each lap, I think, so I finished really strongly in the end.”

2012D3Koretsky.jpg

Junior world champion Victor Koretsky had to settle for the runner-up berth in the junior cross country final at the 2012 RockyRoads UCI MTB World Cup Pietermaritzburg at the Cascades MTB Park.

Cooper was pleased at how well the course raced after the heavy rains the night before. “It was actually better than I thought it might be, it was slippery more in the trees and some of the corners. We weren’t allowed to ride some of the wooden log rollovers and the drop, but that’s all right.”

“I’m really happy with this and it’s great to be part of the Trek World Racing team. I’m really looking forward to the other World Cups and World Champs later in the year,” he added.

Koretsky conceded that Copper was just too good for him on the day. “Cooper was very strong, but it was not that important because during winter I did a lot of cyclo-cross and then had a month’s break. This is my first race of the year, so I’m not in top form at the moment,” said Koretksy.

“The track was very slippery and wet,” he added. “It was difficult to ride. Where there was a lot of sun, it was perfect. It was okay, but there was some difficulty.”

More info can be found at www.mtbworldcupsa.co.za

2012D3Andrews.jpg

South African rider Gareth Andrews racing in the junior cross country final at the 2012 RockyRoads UCI MTB World Cup Pietermaritzburg at the Cascades MTB Park.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS

2012 ROCKYROADS UCI MTB WORLD CUP PIETERMARITZBURG

JUNIOR MEN

1.Anton Cooper 1:09:48

2.Victor Koretsky +4:29

3.Nicolas Sessler +5:54

4.Manuel Fasnacht +6:50

5.Boris Cara +6:59

6.Enea Vetsch +7:49

7.Fredrik Fang Liland +8:00

8.Edvard Vea Iversen +9:06

9.Patrick Belton +9:52

10.Connor Bell +10:42

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment