Events

Knox, Evans to settle unfinished Cape Epic business

· By Press Office · 53 comments

Former South African marathon champions Max Knox and Kevin Evans will renew their stage racing partnership at next month’s ABSA Cape Epic as Team Biogen-Volcan. But they’re not going to the world’s most prestigious mountain bike stage race to make up the numbers; they’re aiming for podium places.

Evans is no stranger to the Cape Epic podium. He’s won four stages, finished second overall once and third overall three times. He’s completed nine of the 11 editions of the iconic race, with injury and illness keeping him from a full house of finishes.

ccs-62657-0-02039900-1424085160.jpg

Kevin Evans. // Photo credit: Zoon Cronje/Nikon.

“Ten a nice round number to aim for. But I’m more interested in competing for some podiums than just finishing my tenth,” said Evans.

“Max and I are focussing specifically on the Cape Epic this year and have set ourselves two goals – compete for the African team title and a top five finish overall. We feel that those are realistic goals.

In their first Cape Epic as teammates, Evans and Knox finished 15th overall last year. That included a one-hour time penalty given after Evans cut a corner on a crowded switchback climb.

“Last year wasn’t a great year for us. We were in a negative space from the start. Max was strong enough to compete for the overall win, but I was already over-raced when we arrived there. This year we’re out to regain some credibility and race with a positive mindset,” said Evans.

Evans and Knox will only do three events with a total of nine race days before they line up as the No. 10 seeds for the Cape Epic prologue on Table Mountain on Sunday 15 March.

“With the backing of Biogen, we have been able to follow our ideal preparation strategy. I have also been able to assemble what I call my ‘A Team’ as our support crew this year. Gary Stanley (manager), Roger Blewett (mechanic), Sandi Bryan (chef) and Martin Glinister (masseuse) will make sure that all we have to worry about is the race. You can’t be competitive at this race without an experienced crew like this.”

ccs-62657-0-35557600-1424085163.jpg

Max Knox. // Photo credit: Zoon Cronje/Nikon.

Knox, 26, is a decade younger than Evans and feels he still has much to achieve at the Cape Epic. He has started seven and completed six editions of the race, most of those as a back-up support rider to others who have gone on to win the race.

“I’ve still got a lot of Cape Epic racing left to do and I’m grateful for the opportunity that Biogen has given Kevin and I for a second shot as teammates at the Cape Epic. We were leading the African team competition last year and lying eighth overall when we were given a time penalty, which really wacked our motivation for the rest of the race. This year we’re focussed on completing some unfinished business,” smiled Knox.

“Biogen is committed to re-investing in sport through sponsorships of events, teams and individuals. We’re celebrating our 10th anniversary as a leading and tested sports supplement brand this year and are pleased to support Kevin and Max in their quest for Cape Epic success,” said Brandon Fairweather, Biogen Marketing Manager.

“As an exclusive seller of Biogen, Dis-Chem is passionate about sport and we’re excited to be involved in the backing of Team Biogen-Volcan for this year’s Cape Epic. It’s a premium level international sports event and we’re looking forward to seeing this all-South African team achieve their potential,” said Stan Goetsch of Dis-Chem.

Knox and Evans finished second and third respectively at the recent Trans Hajar, a five-day stage race in Oman. They will also compete at the Ashburton Investments Series Ultra-marathon at Sabie on Saturday and the Garden Route 300 stage race in Knysna later this month as their final preparation races for the Cape Epic.

They are riding Volcan bikes, a South African mountain bike brand that’s developed a range of models that are suited to marathons and stage races.

Related posts

Comments

EmptyB

Feb 16, 2015, 11:39 AM

Going to be super tough for them to get a podium....I really hope they do!!

nathrix

Feb 16, 2015, 11:52 AM

Some very strong SA teams in the epic this year who will be turning themselves inside out for the African jersey. Some of the SA teams have a very tight budget and the riders have to really put everything they got on the line for their sponsors. Good luck and may the best team win.

Pieterg

Feb 16, 2015, 12:01 PM

Die Suid Afrikaanse spanne ry agter ryers vir oorsese spanne hopelik kan Evans en Knox vir hulle self jaag

Go Julle

nathrix

Feb 16, 2015, 12:12 PM

Die Suid Afrikaanse spanne ry agter ryers vir oorsese spanne hopelik kan Evans en Knox vir hulle self jaag

Go Julle

Evans en Knox jaag vir hulself, was ook so laas jaar.

rock

Feb 16, 2015, 12:16 PM

I wanna see the bike they will be on. Oh wait this should be in the Chinese carbon thread :)

Seriously, lets see the new Volcan.

DIPSLICK

Feb 16, 2015, 12:17 PM

politics and name calling aside, and past hopefully staying the past i hope they perform,,,,sa needs to OWN the epic, it is after all ours(sorry for using the word epic MR VERMAAAK) please dont sue me i am only a blue collar worker :whistling:  :whistling:

rouxtjie

Feb 16, 2015, 12:18 PM

Evans en Knox jaag vir hulself, was ook so laas jaar.

Hulle moet net ophou koeksny, dan sal hulle dalk iewers kom  :ph34r:

Bloukrans

Feb 16, 2015, 12:20 PM

So this is where Max is - busy training while I'm waiting to read his post on the Hub! Who was taking "short cuts" last year? :whistling:

jcza

Feb 16, 2015, 12:24 PM

2 of my favourite riders but no chance of making the overall podium I'm afraid.

Maybe 3rd place in African jersey competition.

nathrix

Feb 16, 2015, 12:26 PM

I'm supporting these two lighties, they're new to the epic and they have the smallest budget of them all! Two youngster with plenty natural talent and very humble. Had the pleasure to meet and chat to them at this year's Tankwa. We need to get more sponsorship behind them so that they can be groomed as future epic winners.

https://www.cape-epic.com/teams/2015/8141/contego-swift-carbon

10858364_10153093526297863_6656363828578

Patchelicious

Feb 16, 2015, 12:28 PM

I'm supporting these two lighties, they're new to the epic and they have the smallest budget of them all! Two youngster with plenty natural talent and very humble. Had the pleasure to meet and chat to them at this year's Tankwa. We need to get more sponsorship behind them so that they can be groomed as future epic winners.

Will be cheering them on too. Much rather them than Knox/Evans...

R100 says these two will give the older two a little spanking :)

Pure Savage

Feb 16, 2015, 12:31 PM

What are there names?

They look the part, must just get them some black socks :P

nathrix

Feb 16, 2015, 12:37 PM

Will be cheering them on too. Much rather them than Knox/Evans...

R100 says these two will give the older two a little spanking :)

Maybe next year, remember Knox/Evans have plenty experience behind them. I just hope they get noticed and give the toppies a run for their money so to speak  :D

What are there names?

They look the part, must just get them some black socks :P

Check out the link I included in my previous post, made a screen shot just for you  :P

post-4329-0-58595700-1424090179_thumb.jpg

Pure Savage

Feb 16, 2015, 12:40 PM

Maybe next year, remember Knox/Evans have plenty experience behind them. I just hope they get noticed and give the toppies a run for their money so to speak  :D

Check out the link I included in my previous post, made a screen shot just for you  :P

That's what that blue writing was all about... :whistling:

GoLefty!!

Feb 16, 2015, 12:45 PM

politics and name calling aside, and past hopefully staying the past i hope they perform,,,,sa needs to OWN the epic, it is after all ours(sorry for using the word epic MR VERMAAAK) please dont sue me i am only a blue collar worker :whistling:  :whistling:

well you didn't try to name your doughnut shop Epic Doughnuts did you? so you're safe

jcza

Feb 16, 2015, 1:09 PM

Get James Reid a strong partner and watch him make a name for himself.

Patchelicious

Feb 16, 2015, 1:51 PM

+1 on that!

mrbaker

Feb 16, 2015, 2:41 PM

They won't show on any podium- old news in terms of pro riders IMO...

Especially if they have to ride the whole route and not whinge about being bust taking shortcuts...

Gen

Feb 16, 2015, 3:30 PM

Isn't he riding with Erik Kleinhans.. that means they will ride backup for Sauser and Kulharvy no?
Guest Karma

Feb 16, 2015, 3:40 PM

Pair him with Craig Boyes....

Cookie88

Feb 16, 2015, 3:45 PM

What do the international guys have that ours don't, apart from the moolah?

mrbaker

Feb 16, 2015, 4:18 PM

What do the international guys have that ours don't, apart from the moolah?

They have backing from proper cycling governing bodies, proper coaching and proper money behind them.

Other that that- not much...

Gen

Feb 16, 2015, 5:15 PM

They have backing from proper cycling governing bodies, proper coaching and proper money behind them.

Other that that- not much...

Yip and as many kids and people riding bikes as we have kids playing rugby. All about development.
rock

Feb 16, 2015, 5:30 PM

would rather see James Reid make a name for himself on the world XCO stage......

say what you like XCM is still plays 2nd fiddle internationally.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment