Events

L’Etape South Africa secures Andy Schleck as official ambassador

· By Press Office · 11 comments

The Midlands, Kwa-Zulu Natal is set to host the first L’Etape South Africa by Le Tour de France event on 2 April 2017. Immersed in the unrivalled atmosphere of Le Tour de France, L’Etape South Africa will be operated under professional race conditions and will replicate a stage of Le Tour de France. Adding to this once in a lifetime experience, will be the participation of 2010 Tour de France winner as well as 2009 and 2011 TDF runner up, Andy Schleck.

ccs-62657-0-80561800-1489131766.jpg

Andy Schleck commented:

I am really proud and excited to announce that I am the official ambassador of L’Etape South Africa by Le Tour de France. Come and join me for the first edition of over 160km in the Midlands and enjoy the fair and fun of the village and expo. This is your chance to experience and ride like a Tour de France Legend.

L’Etape South Africa Managing Director, Bonga Sebesho said it’s an honour to have Andy as well as other ambassadors and influencers on board:

Hosting Andy will be our pleasure – it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for participants to ride alongside a Tour de France Champion. We’d also like to welcome Team Dimension Data Principal, Douglas Ryder, who will also be competing and now knows the ins and outs of the Tour de France better than any of us. Adding to this is a whole host of cycling influencers and we’re certainly well on our way to ensuring that those who join us in just less than one month will want to come back time and time again.

Starting at the Mandela Capture Site in Lions River, and now finishing at the Piggly Wiggly Country Village, the 160km route will explore the Midlands Meander and touch the foothills of the Drakensberg with a total ascent of 1630m. The rider and spectator experience has been further enhanced with the partnership between Piggy Wiggly Country Village which will in addition host the L’Etape South Africa Village.

Piggly Wiggly has become an exclusive destination offering world class shopping, outstanding food and unique entertainment for all ages. We are privileged to be a part of the L’Etape South Africa Route and look forward to sharing our piece of the Kwazulu Natal Midlands with all the riders as well as their friends and families.
States Rudi Kassier, Chief Executive of Piggly Wiggly Country Village.

Enter on www.letapesouthafrica.com. Entries close on the 19th March 2017. Further information on L’Etape South Africa 2017 and to keep abreast of all developments, please follow us via social media: Twitter: @LetapeSA. Instagram: @letapesa. Facebook: L’Etape South Africa by Le Tour de France.

Comments

DC Carbon

Mar 10, 2017, 8:53 AM

So is Lance also going to be there? :clap:

nonky

Mar 10, 2017, 9:49 AM

Who's in for this?

There seems to be no enthusiasm from anyone in Jhb to enter - what gives?

DC Carbon

Mar 10, 2017, 10:06 AM

Who's in for this?

There's a few ppl I know that are going

Frosty

Mar 10, 2017, 10:10 AM

20 from my club, and another 8 or 9 from another local club (group of friends).

Most of the above at riding in the team category (we have 3 members doing the solo).

mecheng89

Mar 10, 2017, 2:47 PM

Who's in for this?

What Gerald said. 

T-Bob

Mar 12, 2017, 10:11 AM

Ohhhh.... Andy Schlek. Well that's a big win. Should gone for Jen's, at least he has fans. ;)

carbon29er

Mar 12, 2017, 10:56 AM

Jens the denialist? No thanks.  I always liked Andy even if Bjarne changed his blood weekly.

Does this event accept bikes with disc brakes? After the non event in Cape Town today a road trip might be in order. Straight past the One Hundred and Aaaaaaaattttyyyy on to the Midlands.

Patchelicious

Mar 12, 2017, 11:33 AM

Who's in for this?

I'm super keen, but I will need to get this past my Doc and my wife... as it will be less than 5 weeks after my clavicle op.... my goal is simply get back to "RIDE" this event.

But who is this Andy guy they keep talking about?

Shell Belle

Mar 12, 2017, 1:26 PM

I'm super keen, but I will need to get this past my Doc and my wife... as it will be less than 5 weeks after my clavicle op.... my goal is romaine it back to "RIDE" this event.

Do it Patch.  We are coming up from the Fairest...which after today, I am doubly excited about!!

Gen

Mar 12, 2017, 2:07 PM

Do it Patch. We are coming up from the Fairest...which after today, I am doubly excited about!!

Just do it.. I agree.. I need company at the back, you can share your knowledge with me..don't think Andy is going to hang out with me.
carbon29er

Mar 13, 2017, 9:08 AM

I'm super keen, but I will need to get this past my Doc and my wife... as it will be less than 5 weeks after my clavicle op.... my goal is simply get back to "RIDE" this event.

Showing your newbie status? Haha

No disc brakes allowed so I'm out. Glad I asked before I pushed the button.

post-35786-0-53465500-1489396109_thumb.jpg

Add a comment

You must log in to comment