Events

Launch of the Vlakkenberg MTB Trails

· By Press Office · 37 comments

We would like to announce the launch of the Vlakkenberg MTB Trail powered by Bicyclegear, Private Client Holdings and the Pedal Power Association.

ccs-62657-0-55902900-1477058671.jpg

We would like to announce the launch of the Vlakkenberg MTB Trail powered by Bicyclegear, Private Client Holdings and the Pedal Power Association.

To do this, we will be hosting the first of our monthly Bicyclegear Blowouts. The event will be held on a 2km course encompassing both jeep track and the newly built cross-country course. The course was built by Sean Newbery from Green Space Designs on private land kindly made available by the Constantia Nek Estate. It offers riding enjoyment for all levels. The course is currently 700m long but will be become part of a much larger and intricate trail network in Hout Bay.

There will be two groupings. The A group – for the serious racer – will encompass 4 laps of the course. Group B is aimed at the less competitive rider, including high school cyclists and will cover 2 laps. Both fields will be limited to 30 riders on a first registered basis. Other people not racing will be able to support the riders and ride the trail afterwards with their permits.

The event will take place on Sunday 6 November 2016 with the B group starting at 8:45am and the A group at 9:30am.

The Vlakkenberg MTB Trail will work on a permit number plate system costing R30.00, which can be bought on Bicyclegear.co.za. Once you have purchased your permit, you will be able to ride on the trail at all times and have entry to all of the Bicyclegear.co.za Blowout events. Riders under18 will receive a free “young gun” permit as long as a parent /guardian buys a full permit.

Permits will also be available for purchase on the day of the race. Please bring your R30.00 cash. Visit Vlakkenberg MTB Trail for more information.

Comments

lechatnoir

Oct 24, 2016, 7:27 AM

This.... This just made my day!!!

Bicyclegear

Oct 24, 2016, 7:33 AM

That is great! Thanks to the Bikehub.co.za for listing our launch. We are very excited to have mtb'ers sharing our trails.

lechatnoir

Oct 24, 2016, 7:42 AM

That is great! Thanks to the Bikehub.co.za for listing our launch. We are very excited to have mtb'ers sharing our trails.

Any chance of getting a map?

Bicyclegear

Oct 24, 2016, 7:50 AM

Any chance of getting a map?

The official trail opening is on 6 Novmeber. We would like to get people to buy a R30 permit or come on the day and buy one which will give you entry to all the "Bicyclegear Blowout". The monies go to building more trail and securing more land for building in Hout Bay.

When you buy the permit we will send your all details.

Bicyclegear

Oct 24, 2016, 8:53 AM

Trail opening is happening 6 November 2016!

dirtypot

Oct 24, 2016, 8:57 AM

Any chance of these linking up to the Tokai trails when they're open?  

Bicyclegear

Oct 24, 2016, 8:59 AM

Any chance of these linking up to the Tokai trails when they're open?  

It will certainly be the idea. Once the EMP allows for riders to use the Cecilia Forest jeep track, you will be able to ride the entire greenbelt from Tokai, all the way off road linking into the Hout Bay trails.

The "saddle" down to Hout Bay from the Mast climb,

is still a bit steep...

lerouc

Oct 24, 2016, 9:07 AM

uhm, is it just me or is the trail only 2.5km long? am i missing something.

Bicyclegear

Oct 24, 2016, 9:17 AM

uhm, is it just me or is the trail only 2.5km long? am i missing something.

That is correct...We are creating a XC trail network at the moment. The whole idea is to enhance riders technical skills on a trail that can be ridden multiple times in a safe and enjoyable environment.

Headshot

Oct 24, 2016, 9:45 AM

Well done guys, this is brilliant! CT is really getting on the mtb map again  - moving in the direction Stellies has been for some time.

Epic Rookie

Oct 26, 2016, 7:43 AM

Done! Can't wait to do a few laps!

Bicyclegear

Oct 26, 2016, 7:46 AM

If you are coming down on the Sunday 6th November, park at Constantia Nek. We will have someone up there directing people to the trail and start line...

lechatnoir

Oct 26, 2016, 8:17 AM

Done! I'll ride up there on the day. Probably be too buggered to manage a lap!

milky4130

Oct 26, 2016, 8:17 PM

That is correct...We are creating a XC trail network at the moment. The whole idea is to enhance riders technical skills on a trail that can be ridden multiple times in a safe and enjoyable environment.

What happened to the cyclocross initiative you had once upon a time?

milky4130

Oct 26, 2016, 8:27 PM

Trail opening is happening 6 November 2016!

It is open and accessible to all riders, the only requirement is that you register and pay R30 to use the trail and ride with a trail number plate when using it. The permit is valid for one year from the date of purchase.

Did i understand this right, R30 for a year permit?

Bicyclegear

Oct 27, 2016, 4:09 PM

What happened to the cyclocross initiative you had once upon a time?

On the back-burner...

Bicyclegear

Oct 27, 2016, 4:12 PM

It is open and accessible to all riders, the only requirement is that you register and pay R30 to use the trail and ride with a trail number plate when using it. The permit is valid for one year from the date of purchase.

Did i understand this right, R30 for a year permit?

We want people to ride the trail. All money raised from permits will go towards more build/maintenance days.

The R30 permit is valid for a year. As the network increases so the fee will as more work is needed to maintain things...

milky4130

Oct 27, 2016, 7:44 PM

We want people to ride the trail. All money raised from permits will go towards more build/maintenance days.

The R30 permit is valid for a year. As the network increases so the fee will as more work is needed to maintain things...

Wow thats a bargain even if only 600/700 meters to start off with. Sorry if i missed this but when will the 2.5km be completed?

Bicyclegear

Oct 31, 2016, 6:45 AM

Wow thats a bargain even if only 600/700 meters to start off with. Sorry if i missed this but when will the 2.5km be completed?

Phase 3 will be finished in January. Phase 2 is happening shortly...

Flowta

Oct 31, 2016, 7:01 AM

It will certainly be the idea. Once the EMP allows for riders to use the Cecilia Forest jeep track, you will be able to ride the entire greenbelt from Tokai, all the way off road linking into the Hout Bay trails.

The "saddle" down to Hout Bay from the Mast climb,

is still a bit steep...

It's a bit overgrown (haven't been up there since the fire),and bit steep in places, but quite fun

Bicyclegear

Oct 31, 2016, 7:09 AM

It's a bit overgrown (haven't been up there since the fire),and bit steep in places, but quite fun

Go have a look, you will be pleasantly surprised! #vlakkenbergmtbtrail

Flowta

Oct 31, 2016, 7:28 AM

Go have a look, you will be pleasantly surprised! #vlakkenbergmtbtrail

Lekker, you guys been working up there? Or is it from the fire?

Bicyclegear

Oct 31, 2016, 7:32 AM

Lekker, you guys been working up there? Or is it from the fire?

Working. Cutting trails, making technical sections and stabilising the area...You can buy a permit and map of trail here...

Flowta

Oct 31, 2016, 7:55 AM

Working. Cutting trails, making technical sections and stabilising the area...You can buy a permit and map of trail here...

Lekker, thanks!!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment