Events

Luke Roberts rides for pride in UWCT Final

· By Matt · 0 comments

Pietermaritzburg – Star local cyclist Luke Roberts is itching to start the UCI World Cycling Tour Final in Pietermaritzburg from 23 to 26 August fully aware that he will be riding for pride alone in the event that was formerly known as the Masters amateur world championships.

Kloof based Roberts has been in superb form in his second year as a pro rider, with a fourth in the recent Illovo Eston MTB Challenge shortly after an impressive victory in the KZN Road Series in Camperdown.

“All the top guys were there and it was a pretty tough race so I was really stoked with the result and its always great for the confidence to get another win and it just keeps the momentum going nicely,” said Roberts, who rides in the colours of the RE:CM team.

2012Roberts.jpg

“If I can compete in a race that not everyone else has the opportunity to do then I’m definitely going to be there and give it my all, it doesn’t matter if there are line honours, prize money and special jerseys or not,” said Luke Roberts ahead of the UCI World Cycling Tour Final.

ROAG/Gameplan Media

Roberts will be force to be reckoned with in the broad senior Challenger Class which covers riders aged between 16 and 29 years of age, but wont be eligible for the UCI Rainbow jerseys that will be awarded to the winners of each of the veterans and masters class winners.

“I just love riding my bike,” said Roberts. “If I could I’d be out there riding ten hours a day every day, that’s just not possible though. However, if I can compete in a race that not everyone else has the opportunity to do then I’m definitely going to be there and give it my all, it doesn’t matter if there are line honours, prize money and special jerseys or not.”

LukeRobertsEston.jpg

Luke Roberts racing in the recent Illovo Eston MTB Challenge as part of his training for the UWCT Final in Pietermaritzburg.

Anthony Grote/Gameplan Media

Roberts was one of the standout performances at last year’s qualifying event, the Msunduzi Road Challenge, which sowed the seed for his participation in the event that is not targeted at elite riders of his age.

“I’m more of a mountain biker but I’m out there training on my road bike every day and last year’s qualifying event sounded like a pretty cool race so I gave it a go and when I qualified for the final it was an opportunity I definitely didn’t want to miss out on,” said Roberts.

“I’m just looking to give the UWCT Final my all,” added Roberts. “If I finish tenth having given it my best then I’ll be happy but if I get fifth and know I could have given a bit more then I’ll be a bit disappointed so I just want to get out there, enjoy being a part of such a race and give it my all.”

Programme of events

UCI World Cycling Tour Final 2012

Monday 20th August 2012 – Social Hill Dash Time Trial

Tuesday 21st August 2012 – Social Mt Verde Road Race – 54km

Thursday 23rd August 2012 – UWCT Time Trial Competition

Saturday 25th August 2012 – UWCT Final 61km Race and UWCT Final 96km Race

Sunday 26th August 2012 – UWCT 112km Race

More information can be found at www.uwctfinal.co.za

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment