Events

Marianne Vos to ride Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge

· By Press Office · 25 comments

In aid of its continuous support for woman in sport, financial services company, Momentum has announced that it will be hosting Dutch cyclist Marianne Vos to ride the Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge on 16 November 2014.

Compared to Eddy Merckx, the greatest pro-cyclist ever, Marianne Vos, is now regarded as the greatest female cyclist of her generation. She became World Champion at the age of 19 and has dominated the sport for the past decade in road races, time trials, and Cyclo-Cross. Compared accolade for accolade, Vos is rated as the best or at least most decorated and recognised cyclist in the world at the moment.

In her extraordinary career, Vos has made huge strides and boasts an impressive list of accolades. She is a 10-time Dutch National Champion for Road Time trial and Cyclo-Cross; two-time European Road Race Champion; two-time European Cyclo-Cross Champion; three-time UCI Road World Champion, winner of two Olympic gold medals and with more than 300 career race wins on the top of her list.

Through their involvement with the Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge, the Momentum Toyota professional cycling team and now the Cape Town Cycle Tour (formerly Pick n Pay Cape Argus Momentum Cycle Tour) the financial giant has invested significantly in cycling in South Africa over the past couple of years.

Earlier this year, Momentum announced a continuation of their long term support for international cycling champion Ashleigh Moolman Pasio – last year’s winner of the women’s section of the Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge. Momentum’s sponsorship will take Ashleigh all the way to the 2016 Olympics in Brazil where a podium finish is anticipated. Ashleigh is on top form having made her first Commonwealth Games appearance earlier this year in Glasgow, with a solid performance, taking bronze in the women’s road race.

Carel Bosman, Momentum Sponsorship Manager comments, “Supporting women in sport is an integral part of our diverse sponsorship portfolio, and we are very excited to host Marianne Vos in South Africa ahead of her debut in the 947 Cycle Challenge. It is an exciting time for cycling in South Africa and we believe that through our partnership we are able to create a platform for mentorship, development and support for equality and diversity in sport. Historically women have struggled to gain equal recognition in sports, but great strides are being made in allowing women to excel in cycling and we are glad to be able to contribute towards driving this shift.

“In Ashleigh South Africa now has a world-class cyclist and we want South Africans to get excited about the reality of being in contention for medals in Rio. Before then, we wish Marianne Vos, Ashleigh Moolman Pasio and all participating in the 947 Cycle Challenge well, as they tackle one of South Africa’s greatest cycling events,” adds Bosman.

Both Marianne Vos and Ashleigh Moolman Pasio will be participating in both the Twitter ride on Saturday 15 November and the 947 Cycle Challenge on Sunday 16 November 2014.

Both Ashleigh and Marianne will be spending some time with local ladies teams to inspire and give valuable tips on their cycling success. A media conference will also be held once Marianne and Ashleigh are in South Africa.

For more on the Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge see: www.momentum/for/you/sponsorships/cycle-challenge.

Comments

Gen

Oct 21, 2014, 6:36 PM

This is awesome news.

'Dale

Oct 21, 2014, 7:11 PM

Wow!

TALUS

Oct 21, 2014, 8:01 PM

I wonder whether she and Ashleigh will have a full go at each other.

Bat

Oct 21, 2014, 8:08 PM

That's great news.

kosmonooit

Oct 21, 2014, 8:09 PM

Has Ashleigh ever beaten her?

Also Ms Vos really not on top form now, and is giving the early 'cross season a miss, but going to be awesome to have the legend here.

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

Oct 22, 2014, 6:20 AM

Awesome news,hope her and Ashleigh give it horns.What an amazing athlete

lesego.2

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 AM

Great news !

Imploder

Oct 22, 2014, 12:13 PM

WOW!! This is like Eddie Mercx coming to ride the 94.7!!!! Amazing!

'Dale

Oct 22, 2014, 12:19 PM

I'm sure it's not to win but to add to the festival that is 94.7

'Dale

Oct 22, 2014, 12:20 PM

Btw she regularly trains with her team here in Stellenbosch during European winters

Imploder

Oct 22, 2014, 12:20 PM

But, she'll win anyway, just out of habit :P

TALUS

Oct 22, 2014, 1:13 PM

Btw she regularly trains with her team here in Stellenbosch during European winters

Jeah, but racing up here is MUCH harder... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

'Dale

Oct 22, 2014, 1:16 PM

Jeah, but racing up here is MUCH harder... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Hehehe

Indeed, what is it 1600 metres above sea level?

(Or do you mean Gauteng racers are tougher? ????)

TALUS

Oct 22, 2014, 1:36 PM

Actually only one is true and the other is just getting back at you for the rugby. Jip around 1500m

kosmonooit

Oct 22, 2014, 1:44 PM

I'll be wooting for her at the top of Joe Slovo! I really hope she knows that I dedicated a Hub thread to her.

'Dale

Oct 22, 2014, 7:42 PM

Actually only one is true and the other is just getting back at you for the rugby. Jip around 1500m

How dare you bring the ruggers into this?

Hehehe

miketinn

Nov 17, 2014, 5:39 AM

I am a huge vos fan, and was excited to hear she was coming. I am a bit suprised that she rode to win though. I think its such a big race in SA, can't the likes of Vos, Moolman, Stander & Schoeman etc quietly decide to ride for charity and give an up and coming youngster a chance in the spotlight? Last year Ashleigh outsprinted an 18yr old to victory, that seems a bit pointless. I understand the whole "race to win or dont particiapte" argument, but Impey seems to get my drift.

miketinn

Nov 17, 2014, 5:39 AM

I am a huge vos fan, and was excited to hear she was coming. I am a bit suprised that she rode to win though. I think its such a big race in SA, can't the likes of Vos, Moolman, Stander & Schoeman etc quietly decide to ride for charity and give an up and coming youngster a chance in the spotlight? Last year Ashleigh outsprinted an 18yr old to victory, that seems a bit pointless. I understand the whole "race to win or dont particiapte" argument, but Impey seems to get my drift.

Squier

Nov 17, 2014, 7:35 AM

There are only 2 road races a year in SA when riders (read: sponsors) get decent coverage. Why would you only ride for charity in one of them?

Having Vos here was a major showcase for woman's cycling. What anti-climax would it have been to have the best cyclist in the world dawdling along in the charity bunches.

Don't agree at all. It's a major road race on the calender. Racing to win is just normal.

megs

Nov 17, 2014, 7:43 AM

I disagree, yesterday I started my race next to a role model for cycling, the entire bunch was excited and it changed the entire atmosphere. The racing was positive! And if anything she only encouraged the younger riders. She stop and spoke to each young girl who asked her a question. I admire her for coming here to race. Ladies cycling is taking a dip again and this put the ladies onto the map, even if it was just for one race.

ThaStig

Nov 17, 2014, 7:53 AM

Are you serious? So Vos and Schoeman etc should just gift races to youngsters? We must stop coddling our youngsters. If they are good enough to win then they will; otherwise they should just work harder at it and the results will come. Just remember that these are professional athletes, with contracts....

Tubehunter

Nov 17, 2014, 8:03 AM

No problem Mike. Say no to your next promotion and go straight to Management today asking them to make sure one of the latest staff members is made the CEO, so that they too can get a chance! Changes things when it's your job eh....

Capcha

Nov 17, 2014, 8:26 AM

Actually she out-sprinted Sharon

GaryvdM

Nov 17, 2014, 8:40 AM

I think it was excellent to have Vos here, and for her to race. I'm only sad that Ashliegh could not give her a harder time.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment