Events

Mark Cavendish secures first victory for Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka

· By Press Office · 31 comments

Mark Cavendish opened his season victory account today at stage 1 of the Tour of Qatar, giving Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka its inaugural win. Sacha Modolo (Lampre-Merida) was 2nd and Andrea Guardini (Astana) took 3rd.

ccs-62657-0-03442200-1454949938.jpg

The opening stage of the Tour of Qatar got off to a blistering start today as a lead group of 21 riders broke away in the stiff Qatari wind after just 40km of racing. Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka were in a great position, placing Mark Cavendish, Edvald Boasson Hagen and Tyler Farrar in the front group. There were a number of favourites in the select group, with Katusha having 3 teammates up there to support Alexander Kristoff while Greg van Avermaet (BMC), Sam Bennett (Bora-Argon), Andrea Guardini (Astana) and Sacha Modolo were all also part of this dangerous lead pack.

Cavendish and co. would drive the break as hard as they could, opening up a lead of 1’20” over the chasers. The peloton, in its panic to reel in the the strong lead group, saw a number of crashes further hinder their chase. It wasn’t long until just 40 odd riders were chasing the 21 in front. Again our African Team were in a good spot by having 4 riders in this chasing peloton.

The gap would hold constant around the minute mark for the majority of the stage though and coming into the final 20km, it was evident that the lead group would decide the stage. Cavendish, Boasson Hagen and Farrar rode well together, as Katusha and BMC upped the pace to shed a few more riders from the lead group. Coming into the final, it was a 16 rider strong group sprinting for the win. Katusha led it out in the finishing straight but Cavendish was able to come off Kristoff’s wheel and blitz to an impressive first win of the season. Boasson Hagen was also in the mix, crossing the line 6th.

ccs-62657-0-19524400-1454949934.jpg

Thanks to Cavendish taking 2nd and then 1st at the two intermediate sprints during the stage, the Manxman has an 8 second lead in the overall classification giving him the golden leaders jersey, he also leads the silver points jersey competition as well.

We’ve probably got the best race director in the world for this race in Roger Hammond. We had a lot of confidence for today after last night’s team meeting. The split went pretty soon in the beginning and I was always looked after from the start. Jay Thomson always kept me there at the front in the beginning ready to go and when the group split Youcef Reguigui did a big turn to get me there, and then we had three in the front so that was okay. Obviously we had me there for the sprint and we wanted Edvald there for the overall. So we were content with having the 3 there. It was a long day and a hard. Unfortunately, Tyler punctured and he used too much energy to get back to me for the sprint but he was incredible in helping to keep the group away. Edvald just stayed with me in the final and I wanted Kristoff’s wheel because they had the numbers so we knew they’d do the leadout and Edvald just sweeped, he was there in case I needed him. I launched from Kristoff with about 200m to go, the road turned right so I hugged the right side and I knew no one would come round me then. It was great that Edvald was there as for sure he will be in contention after the time trial on Wednesday. In all, it was a super strong performance by all the guys and I am really happy to get the first win of the year.
Mark Cavendish – Rider
It was a really good collective team effort. When one races on the flat roads in the wind it’s about how the team works together and everyone did their jobs today, making sure Mark, Tyler and Edvald were in the front. There was still a lot of racing to do in the final but with the team helping those 3 get to the front allowed us to relax a bit and gave Mark the chance to concentrate on the sprint. It was a really good sprint by Mark, beating Kristoff with 3 teammates is pretty impressive. We are really pleased, everybody had an input in today’s win so it’s nice when a plan works out.
Roger Hammond – Sport Director

Comments

Duane_Bosch

Feb 8, 2016, 4:56 PM

Washed up
Has Been
Past his best........

Ja! What ever.

gummibear

Feb 8, 2016, 4:59 PM

Winning is what he gets that fat cheque for :thumbup:

Let's wait and see how he does on the bigger tours ;)

Patchelicious

Feb 8, 2016, 5:01 PM

Going by Hub standards, shouldn't the tilte read : "Andrea Guardini places 3rd on opening stage" :P

rock

Feb 8, 2016, 5:16 PM

Where was Kittel  :ph34r:

Gen

Feb 8, 2016, 5:17 PM

Where was Kittel :ph34r:

Putting his shoes on[emoji12]

Etixx aren't racing in Qatar something about being too ill disciplined for the organisers liking.

EmptyB

Feb 8, 2016, 5:27 PM

Etixx aren't racing in Qatar something about being too ill disciplined for the organisers liking.

Doing his hair for a selfie before the live interview....oh wait, they not racing in Qatar :whistling:

Well done Cav!!

Patchelicious

Feb 8, 2016, 5:56 PM

Where was Kittel :ph34r:

Or any other big name sprinter to be honest.

This is an opportunity that Cav must use to get some wins, because I doubt that he has it in him to win if the big boys come out to play.

Duane_Bosch

Feb 8, 2016, 6:02 PM

Or any other big name sprinter to be honest.

This is an opportunity that Cav must use to get some wins, because I doubt that he has it in him to win if the big boys come out to play.

Oooh. You're so going to get called out if he wins a Tour stage.

Brickleberry

Feb 8, 2016, 6:05 PM

I agree , I like Cav , but I don't think he can beat Kittel or that Aussie youngster , I forget his name. However, none of them will even come close to Cavs records or medals, not even close. Cav was untouchable for many years .

gummibear

Feb 8, 2016, 6:07 PM

They like long showers [emoji23][emoji23]

Patchelicious

Feb 8, 2016, 6:07 PM

Oooh. You're so going to get called out if he wins a Tour stage.

I'm sure I will be, probably before the GTs start, this is the Hub after all, but I'm not saying he WONT, but rather that the other guys are better now.
Gen

Feb 8, 2016, 6:08 PM

I agree , I like Cav , but I don't think he can beat Kittel or that Aussie youngster , I forget his name. However, none of them will even come close to Cavs records or medals, not even close. Cav was untouchable for many years .

Cav is going to have to accept that to win races his chances will be better in a reduced group.. think we said it last year already.
Gen

Feb 8, 2016, 6:08 PM

That said a win is a win and it's good for DD

Gen

Feb 8, 2016, 6:10 PM

They like long showers [emoji23][emoji23]

A lot of grooming goes into being race ready..lol

Kittel's hair is still a mystery to me.. he never has helmet hair.

gummibear

Feb 8, 2016, 6:30 PM

A lot of grooming goes into being race ready..lol

Kittel's hair is still a mystery to me.. he never has helmet hair.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Iceman.

Feb 8, 2016, 6:39 PM

Nice win. Great confidence booster for the Di Data boys.

BeegMig

Feb 8, 2016, 6:50 PM

Cav is going to have to accept that to win races his chances will be better in a reduced group.. think we said it last year already.

Or race in tours where the sprinters' teams are not taking part.

Going on data from the stage 2 sprint from last years TdF he should skip the races where Cancelara takes part too

'Dale

Feb 8, 2016, 7:33 PM

Gen

You've seen this marketing campaign

There's also a few where they pillow fight like a bunch of teenage girls at a slumber party

Hehehe

post-12015-0-26840300-1454959944_thumb.png

lesego.2

Feb 8, 2016, 7:34 PM

Well done gents!

'Dale

Feb 8, 2016, 7:36 PM

A win is a win is a win

Still takes cleating in, making it into the final few kms, getting into the train, holding the best line and never scrub off speed, time the launch and cross the much desired white chalk

Go Cav!!

post-12015-0-63226000-1454960167_thumb.png

tubed

Feb 8, 2016, 7:56 PM

Average speed 52kmp/h with some crosswinds, sure there were no hills but plenty time in the gutter for the hangers-on, ain't no pretenders in that finishing group - would bet a fair share of them will be up there come the classics.

This pic sums up what seems to be the vibe Doug and his team has created, guys that previously wouldn't talk to each (Cav and Farrar) other now riding in the wind for each other.

Lastly EBH, what a class rider, to ride on the front like that and finish in the sprint is superb - I really hope he has another good season and I would be over the moon in EBH won a monument - super talent and so down to earth.

Excited for the rest of the season.

post-1509-0-34594800-1454961000_thumb.jpg

Gen

Feb 8, 2016, 8:35 PM

Gen

There's also a few where they pillow fight like a bunch of teenage girls at a slumber party

Hehehe

attachicon.gifimage.png

Whahahahah
intern

Feb 9, 2016, 1:50 AM

Gen

Hehehe

attachicon.gifimage.png

That's going to take a lot of explaining.

Guest Lancesball

Feb 9, 2016, 5:03 AM

This pic sums up what seems to be the vibe Doug and his team has created, guys that previously wouldn't talk to each (Cav and Farrar) other now riding in the wind for each other.

Every sprinter is like this with his team after a win and they mates cause they have to be and Ferrar isnt going to win anything anytime soon other than the crash award.

Lets not kid each other. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment