Events

Massive international field for first SA XCO Cup

· By Press Office · 1 comment

Aside from local rider entries, race organisers have received 34 entries from over 14 different nations so far ahead of this weekend’s 2017 SA National XCO Cup Series event at Rhebokskloof Wine Estate in Paarl on Saturday 25 February. This also forms part of the UCI (cat 1) Junior World Series.

Martin Gluth is feeling fully recovered from the Tankwa Trek. “I am looking forward to test my XCO-shape against a great international line-up on Saturday,” he added.

The OMX Pro Team rider took a test ride out on the course last weekend, and also feels that his training has been good in the build up to the weekend.

When chatting about his favourite elements of XCO racing, Gluth said: “I like the intense starts of XCO racing as well as the technical parts of the tracks. The up and down suits me well.”

Gluth has set himself big goals for the 2017 XCO World Cup season, and is hoping for a top 15 result at the races.

ccs-62657-0-62403400-1487827327.jpgMen’s u23 British National Champion Frazer Clacherty looks forward to racing on South African soil at the first round of the 2017 SA National XCO Cup Series in Paarl on Saturday 25 February. Photo: Supplied

Men’s u23 British National Champion Frazer Clacherty, who has visited the country only once before when he was a youngster, is currently staying with family in the Cape.

“I haven’t been to the course yet but I have been told its most likely going to be super hot and dusty on race day. I’m hoping that it’s going to be a fast course so the heat won’t feel as bad, as it’s a lot different to the UK out here,” he said.

Clacherty is hoping to retain his National Championship title this year, as well as a consistent top 15 in the World Cups. He is also wishing for a top 10 at the 2017 UCI MTB World Championships in Australia in September.

Focus XC Team rider Marcel Guerrini considers South Africa his second home, as he has been training in Stellenbosch for the past few years. “It’s the perfect place to train over the off season and prepare your build for the season. For me its the not only the weather that makes Stellenbosch so nice, its the combination from trails, food, weather, and so many good guys like Nino Schurter, Christoph Sauser and a lot more that you can train with.”

With 2017 being his first year in the Elite category, Guerinni wants to keep his goals realistic, despite his successful 2016 season. “I had a pretty good season World Cups with a win in Andorra and third overall, as well as third place at the World Championships in Nove Mesto,” he said.

He hopes to be perfectly prepared and give it his all at the first World Cup in Nove Mesto this year, and judge from there where he needs to aim for. “My main goal would be to qualify for the World Championships in Cairns. Just to have the chance to be selected you have to ride top 15 at World Cup. And after that, we have eight places because of Nino’s World Championship title. So let’s see what’s possible,” he concluded.

Nico Zünd is headed for the country for his first time, and looks so forward to exploring the country. “Even if I didn’t make the decision to do the race here, I would have still wanted to visit South Africa,” said the Swiss National.

When chatting briefly about XCO racing, Zünd said: Its always one of the best feelings – to push yourself to the limit in a race. I like it because it feels so good if you go over your own limit but have fun at the same time.”

2017 is a very special year for Zünd as it’s his last year as a Junior, but plans to push himself hard to get the maximum out for great results.

ccs-62657-0-13017800-1487827336.jpgMariske Strauss will be on the Elite Woman’s startline at the first round of the 2017 SA National XCO Cup Series in Paarl on Saturday 25 February. Photo: Andrew McFadden.

Lesotho’s The Sufferfest African Dream Team Manager, Mark West, will also be bringing riders down by car – close to 12 hours on the road.

West said: “The team is a bit apprehensive about the XCO Cup because we expect some of the world’s top riders to be there ahead of Cape Epic or using the Cape for pre-season training. We have been competing well in the past few weeks with wins in Bloemfontein and Pretoria, but this will be a big step up.”

West Mentioned that the team has a new Elite Woman from Botswana, who has been mostly road racing until now because she didn’t own a bike. “We have just received a sponsored for her bike from Giant, but two weeks’ training is not enough for this level of racing, so it’s going to be a challenge for her,” he said.

The Sufferfest Team is 33 in the world rankings. “Our goal is to maintain that rank and work towards getting inside the top 30 teams in the world,” he said. “At this level of cycling, every place position gained is hard work. We are also preparing riders for 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, so 2017 is an important building season,” he added.

The technical 5km lap route has an ascent of 200m. Most parts of the course are spectator friendly, offering great viewing spots to those coming to support loved ones.

Registration and route practice will be on Friday 24 February 2017 from 9:00 to 16:00.

Racing begins at 8am on 25 February with the Nippers (u9&u10) and Sprogs (u11&u12) races. The Pro-Elite Women and Junior Women races will take place at 10:00 and the Junior Men and Pro-Elite races are at 13:00 and 14:00 respectively.

Event organisers are encouraging all in the area to come and support.

Entries for the event are are closed, but late entries will be available at registration.

Comments

Headshot

Feb 23, 2017, 8:19 AM

Epic!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment