Events

Matt Beers and Jordan Sarrou win 2021 Absa Cape Epic

Supplied by Absa Cape Epic.

· By Press Office · 18 comments

South African Marathon Champion Matt Beers and French mountain biker Jordan Sarrou – the 2020 cross-country World Champion – won the 2021 Absa Cape Epic today at Val de Vie. In doing so, Beers becomes the first South African winner of the men’s event since the late Burry Stander, while Sarrou is the first-ever French winner of the Elite men’s category.

ACE21_S7_SamClark_4189.jpeg
Jordan Sarrou and Matthew Beers. Photo credit: Sam Clark.

“This is just an incredible feeling,” said Beers. “Burry set the bar very high; he was such a great mountain biker. I honestly didn’t think I could ever achieve this. I have to say thank you to Jordan. He’s been such a great partner all week, a real superhero. I never thought this was possible. When we started and won the Prologue I thought that was amazing, but to have held it all the way through, I just can’t thank the team enough, we had an amazing team.” 

Sarrou was at a loss for words after his eight days of mountain biking. “This is just incredible,” he said. “I have no words. It’s been such an amazing week riding with Matt. We had the yellow jersey right from the start and we never let it go. It feels amazing to win the Absa Cape Epic. Thank you to the entire team – the staff, the mechanics, everyone involved has made this possible.” 

ACE21_stage7_NickMuzik_5735.jpeg
Phillip Buys during stage 7 of the 2021 Absa Cape Epic. Photo credit: Nick Muzik.

Going into the 68km Grand Finale, The Trail to Val de Vie, NinetyOne-songo-Specialized had a solid six-minute lead in the overall standings over second-placed BULLS 2 (Martin Frey and Simon Stiebjahn).  

BULLS 2 overtaking the overall leaders was still theoretically possible at the start, but it would have required a ride of superhuman effort combined with disastrous luck for Beers and Sarrou. That scenario never came close to playing out, though, as BULLS 2 dropped off the leaders on the first climb of the day. From around 20km into the final stage, then, all Beers and Sarrou had to do was ensure they made it over the finish line in one piece.  

ACE21_stage7_NickMuzik_6082.jpeg
Jose Dias and Hans Becking of Scott Buff win stage 7 of the 2021 Absa Cape Epic. Photo credit: Nick Muzik.

The real racing on the day came in the competition for third overall. Trek-Pirelli’s Samuele Porro and Fabian Rabensteiner started the final stage with a slender lead over Buff Scott MTB’s Hans Becking and Jose Dias. 

That overall lead didn’t last long into the stage, though, as Becking went flat out on the first climb of the day. His ascending prowess has been a feature of the 2021 Absa Cape Epic, and the last day was no different. BULLS 2 popped off the back, Trek-Pirelli couldn’t match the pace either, leaving only Beers and Sarrou to go with Buff Scott 

Lone rider Tristan Nortjie of {type}DEV Nanotime, whose partner Wessel Botha abandoned the stage early on, managed to stay with Buff Scott and NinetyOne-songo-Specialized too.  

Becking and Dias took turns leading the stage, with Beers and Sarrou always right there – Nortje, not allowed to interfere in the racing as a lone rider, remained just behind the front four throughout. A small dog soon joined the leaders, chasing the riders through the vineyards, and later a peacock blocked Dias on a district road. These were the only dramas for the front riders.  

ACE21_stage7_NickMuzik_5691.jpeg
The lead riders during stage 7 of the 2021 Absa Cape Epic. Photo credit: Nick Muzik.

As the Grand Finale finish, at Val de Vie, approached, Becking was briefly in conversation with Sarrou, the four leaders all handing out celebratory fist pumps too. After finishing the stage, Becking said they were simply discussing the post-race tactics. “I was asking Jordan, ‘who is paying for the first round tonight’ then I said ‘okay, you guys won, so I will buy the first drinks’.” In the finish chute, Beers and Sarrou dropped back, leaving Becking and Dias to claim the stage while they savoured the moment of their overall victory. 

For Dias and Becking, claiming third overall was a major goal achieved. “We went flat out today to overtake Trek-Pirelli. We gave it our all to get that third place. I went into that first climb and gave everything I had.” 

Dias simply added, “Amazing. Just amazing. I loved it.” 

Second overall at the 2021 Absa Cape Epic went to the BULLS 2 team of Martin Frey and Simon Stiebjahn. “We were hoping for a podium overall, but second overall and a stage win was more than we expected,” said Stiebjahn. “I’m actually a little lost for words right now. It’s just been a great week.” 

ACE21_stage7_NickMuzik_6720.jpeg
Matt Beers and Jordan Sarrou celebrate the overall Yellow leaders Jersey win. Photo credit: Nick Muzik.

Stage 7 Results:

1. Buff Scott MTB, Hans BECKING, José DIAS 02:49:28.3 
  2. NinetyOne-songo-Specialized, Jordan SARROU, Matthew BEERS 02:49:32.3 | +00:00:04.0 
  3. BULLS 2, Martin FREY, Simon STIEBJAHN 02:51:53.6 | +00:02:25.3  

General classification after Stage 7:

1. NinetyOne-songo-Specialized, Jordan SARROU, Matthew BEERS 25:17:28.2  
  2. BULLS 2, Martin FREY, Simon STIEBJAHN 25:26:27.8 | +00:08:59.6  
  3. Buff Scott MTB, Hans BECKING, José DIAS 25:32:02.3 | +00:14:34.1 

Full results here.

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Titleist

Oct 24, 2021, 3:59 PM

Can you report on the “Bikes of the Epic” please?

DJuice

Oct 24, 2021, 4:11 PM

How about an article about every day working hero’s.

Article about Bikehub members, @babse.

Titleist

Oct 24, 2021, 4:30 PM

17 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Yeah that would be nice. The amateurs, paying their own way and completing the Epic is worth a lot more than the pro’s.

W Smith

Oct 24, 2021, 4:45 PM

Why ? Beers and Sarrou 

W Smith

Oct 24, 2021, 4:51 PM

Being strong and winning one of the top races in the world and you want to watch the back markers. Really ? What is it about doppies that you find fascinating? 

ChrisF

Oct 24, 2021, 5:57 PM

59 minutes ago, W Smith said:

Being strong and winning one of the top races in the world and you want to watch the back markers. Really ? What is it about doppies that you find fascinating? 

The racing and tactics IS good to watch, and should be the emphasis on race day.

But hearing the accounts of the privateers is another chapter I would appreciate.  The rider that made it back just before the cut off ... do any of these riders actually service their own bikes, as the commentators eluded to today ....

J Wakefield

Oct 24, 2021, 5:58 PM

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

Matt works every day does he not? Same as everyone in that article?

DJuice

Oct 24, 2021, 6:15 PM

24 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Matt works every day does he not? Same as everyone in that article?

Indeed he does, working harder than the average Bikehub member.

Congrats to Matt and yourself, for identifying Matt, mentoring him…first saffa after Burry.

My comment was not to be disrespectfull, infact was thinking why not a article about the work yourself, Jeroen and Science2Sport are doing.

Struggle to do 5hours of training a week, just amazed by Dr Uria.

Remember fondly of my ride with you and even a new to cycling Dr Postumas, even the highs he is reaching, in total awe, getting up at 3am to hit the trainer, this is what I was after.

To kick myself in the ass for not getting up at 5am..

Now get Alan and Matt together again, sponsered by a big corporate SA, and go and win Epic by all SAFA team.

'Dale

Oct 24, 2021, 6:23 PM

Hold your girlfriend or boyfriend the way Matt holds Jordan. ????

What a defining achievement for Matt. Following his arc now as a Cape Epic winner will be very interesting.

9F82372A-D3BA-48DE-8DC7-B473BC901454.jpeg

J Wakefield

Oct 24, 2021, 6:28 PM

11 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Indeed he does, working harder than the average Bikehub member.

Congrats to Matt and yourself, for identifying Matt, mentoring him…first saffa after Burry.

My comment was not to be disrespectfull, infact was thinking why not a article about the work yourself, Jeroen and Science2Sport are doing.

Struggle to do 5hours of training a week, just amazed by Dr Uria.

Remember fondly of my ride with you and even a new to cycling Dr Postumas, even the highs he is reaching, in total awe, getting up at 3am to hit the trainer, this is what I was after.

To kick myself in the ass for not getting up at 5am..

Now get Alan and Matt together again, sponsered by a big corporate SA, and go and win Epic by all SAFA team.

I was just pulling your leg bud. I get what you were saying/requesting.

in fairness to the people doing this article it’s probably a lot quicker and easier to get a winning article like this than get hold of the average rider and do a more detailed article. 

babse

Oct 24, 2021, 6:36 PM

Brilliant to see a Saffa on the top step at the Epic. 

Hoping he lands that world pro team contract very soon. He has smoked some of the best marathon bikers in the world. Can't see why he shouldn't be on the World Marathon Series against these okes every other week. 

I'm sure Jordan will be the first to write his testimonial letter ????

ChrisF

Oct 24, 2021, 6:41 PM

3 minutes ago, babse said:

Brilliant to see a Saffa on the top step at the Epic. 

Hoping he lands that world pro team contract very soon. He has smoked some of the best marathon bikers in the world. Can't see why he shouldn't be on the World Marathon Series against these okes every other week. 

I'm sure Jordan will be the first to write his testimonial letter ????

Looking forward to your race report ????

justinafrika

Oct 24, 2021, 6:55 PM

2 hours ago, W Smith said:

*toppie

Seraj ain’t no back marker, he ain’t no toppie (some of my fellow IRL toppies may even deal a surprise).  He and Etnard achieved a great result.  Much much respect!!

Danger Dassie

Oct 28, 2021, 6:53 AM

Nicely detailed race report and visuals. Would also like to read some back marker accounts at some point. 
But let's also put it in perspective, this is a race report generated by Cape Epic's media office on the day under deadline pressures, with images.
By default on the day's finish it will be the sharp end, same as TdF, Dakar Rally etc..
Later in the week it would be nice to see some material on the rest of the field, in my experience there often is. Through Cape Epic's media, blog posts and general press. 

babse

Oct 28, 2021, 7:18 AM

If you have some time, give Wildair interview with Beers a listen!

Very interesting hear him unpack the race and his experience racing with Jordan

babse

Oct 28, 2021, 9:53 AM

15 minutes ago, Cookie88 said:

Few points to note and things I can relate to even though I was hours if not days behind him...

1) The first 2 days were absolutely brutal 

2) Our team also had bad moments rather than bad days yet we still manage to turn it around and mins later we felt strong again. Crazy what the mind can do for you when you are super keen.

3) Listening to his power numbers is crazy! We also rode on power, probably less than half the numbers he is pushing.

Matt clearly knows his ability yet he is so humble in what he has just achieved. Absolutely stoked for his that they pulled it off... 

Cookie88

Oct 28, 2021, 10:28 AM

28 minutes ago, babse said:

Few points to note and things I can relate to even though I was hours if not days behind him...

1) The first 2 days were absolutely brutal 

2) Our team also had bad moments rather than bad days yet we still manage to turn it around and mins later we felt strong again. Crazy what the mind can do for you when you are super keen.

3) Listening to his power numbers is crazy! We also rode on power, probably less than half the numbers he is pushing.

Matt clearly knows his ability yet he is so humble in what he has just achieved. Absolutely stoked for his that they pulled it off... 

Interesting that some of your insights and experiences are shared.

On your last point, I was lucky enough to have a beer while chatting to Matt and his girlfriend at the finish of Brewery2Brewery last year - he finished a country mile ahead of everyone else (obviously ????). Very easy-going  guy and echo your sentiments on him being so humble - I'm sure he can dial up the competitiveness when he needs to but it's refreshing to meet someone with so much talent and ability who you can have a 'real' conversation with.

Kudo's to him and Sarrou - this win is well deserved and I am looking forward to Epic 2022 already ????

Add a comment

You must log in to comment