Events

McLean adds his name to MTB Masters World Champs entry list

· By Matt · 7 comments

Best known for his world class road cycling abilities, Andrew McLean has temporarily shifted his focus somewhat and set his sights on the upcoming UCI Masters MTB World Championships, which take place in KwaZulu-Natal’s capital from 21-25 August, with the hope of winning a world title in his age group after seeing the road racing equivalent slip through his fingers twice last year.

2012RRAndrewMcLean.jpg

Andrew McLean (far right) will be out to make amends for his double silver haul at the 2012 UWCT Final in Pietermaritzburg when he tackles the UCI MTB Masters World Championships at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg from 21-25 August. Photo: Anthony Grote/Gameplan Media

“I will certainly be out there competing in my age group in August. I’m at the end of my age category which is a slight disadvantage however that certainly won’t stop me from going out there and giving it my all!” said McLean, a seasoned rider and popular television presenter.

McLean is driven by a burning desire to right the record books of last year’s UCI World Cycling Tour (UWCT) Final in Pietermaritzburg where he had to settle silver in both the time trial and road race.

“There definitely is a little bit of added motivation after finishing second in both races of the UWCT Final last year. This, together with the fact that I have never won a world title on home soil previously, will definitely be a driving force for me on the day!

“Having come from more of a road background it would also be a huge coup if I was able to claim an off-road title, so it really will be a very special occasion,” said McLean.

McLean has taken part in events around the world and very few others can appreciate the opportunity this year’s spectacle presents local riders better than him.

“An opportunity like this, where one is able to compete in the most prestigious international event as a masters rider, usually only comes around once in a lifetime so I, along with the rest of the South African cycling community, really am incredibly lucky to be able to do so twice.

“The fact that these chances have come around in back to back years is just remarkable and I’m very certain that the next time an event of this calibre comes to South Africa I won’t even be cycling anymore so to take part in these events on home soil really is a fantastic opportunity.

“It is also a feather in Alec Lenferna’s cap. He has played a major role in bringing these events to our country and giving us the phenomenal opportunities. Sometimes I think many don’t quite realise exactly what goes into securing and then running these events, nor what an incredible opportunity these events really are.

McLean also believes events of the size and stature of this year’s UCI MTB & Trials World Championships, which take place immediately after the masters showpiece, not only aid the whole sport of cycling in South Africa through the hype and excitement created in the build up to and during the event itself, but long after the final race has been completed and champion crowned as well.

“You only have to look at the numbers enrolling in cycling events each weekend across the country to see just how much of an impact these top international events have played on our local cycling scene.

“I’d say numbers are probably ten times what they were a couple of years ago and that can only be healthy for cycling as a whole, and especially for mountain biking, in South Africa.

“There is still quite a large void between those taking part in fun rides and those competing on the international stage which hopefully through more and more of these types of top international events, can be reduced and more of our local riders start taking on the bigger events.

“We also have thousands of marathoners taking part in marathon events every weekend throughout South Africa but cross country hasn’t enjoyed the support that it deserves in South Africa. Hopefully events like these world champs can really help grow the cross country industry locally too.

With his name a certainty to appear on the start list of the masters event, McLean also encouraged the rest of the South African cycling community to do the same and support the event as best they possibly can.

“The average Joes who take part in the various marathon events each weekend or head to their local bike park or preferred trail socially also need to play their part come August.

“To be able to head to Pietermaritzburg and not only watch the best riders in the world from the sidelines, but actually compete in the masters event yourself as well, is just such a fantastic opportunity!

“If you’re not riding, which I really encourage as many people as possible to do, then you need to make your way to Pietermaritzburg and not only come and support our own local riders in the masters competition but also watch the cream of the crop in mountain biking around the world during the elite event!

“There is no point in hearing about the event afterwards and have others say to you ‘You should have been at Cascades!’ because this kind of an opportunity won’t be here again next year or for a long time after that!

The UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships takes place at The Cascades MTB park in Pietermaritzburg from 26 August to 1 September 2013, and will be preceded by the UCI MTB Masters World Championships from 21 to 25 August. More information can be found at www.mtbworldchamps.co.za

Comments

Music Pirate

May 28, 2013, 1:05 PM

Oh dearie me..... if it's an old school hardcore technical anaerobic lap race, and not a marathon-type 90% gravel road course (which are ideal for roadies & ex-roadies, especially those riding full sussers), things could get interesting......

SwissVan

May 29, 2013, 8:18 AM

Oh dearie me..... if it's an old school hardcore technical anaerobic lap race, and not a marathon-type 90% gravel road course (which are ideal for roadies & ex-roadies, especially those riding full sussers), things could get interesting......

If you including Andrew M in the roadie / ex roadie bracket... I remember him doing his first national XCO in Sabie about 11 or 12 years ago, it was not a marathon type course and he did not do to bad then. I reckon he has improved a bit since then....

dillon

May 29, 2013, 8:59 AM

well looking at saseeding he finished 3rd overall at Clarens, running top 10 at Sani2c and 15th in the ultra at Sabie. Not to shabby.

shawn

May 29, 2013, 9:41 AM

All I can say is watch him.....

Big Wheel Cycles

May 29, 2013, 11:16 AM

The course is not to technical at the moment, More technical sections might be added closer to the time. It's 90% single track that is either going straight up or straight down, very few flat sections which allow for recovery. Lots of tight switchbacks which might hinder the 29ers a bit. Lots of roots in some sections.

SwissVan

May 29, 2013, 11:21 AM

The course is not to technical at the moment, More technical sections might be added closer to the time. It's 90% single track that is either going straight up or straight down, very few flat sections which allow for recovery. Lots of tight switchbacks which might hinder the 29ers a bit. Lots of roots in some sections.

Nice sandy descents which turn into deep braking bumps after awhile with fine powdery sand to hide the roots?

Big Wheel Cycles

May 30, 2013, 5:40 AM

If by sandy you mean loose sand, not really. Most of the surfaces are quite well compacted. The roots are all exposed, no attempt to cover them. There are some that come across the track at an angle which could be easy to wash your front out especially in one or two of the corners. A few sections of ascending singletrack which are covered in roots and takes a lot of power out of your legs to keep momentum. There are a few sections of new track dug out of the side of the bank which aren't to compact at the edge. The tight switchbacks don't have much braking erosion, so you can enter quite fast and slide your back out to line you up for the exit. It's an intense course with not many opportunity's for overtaking other than the one or two sections of jeep track or the start/finish straight. Most of the sand is more of a clay consistency as the area is quite wet most of the year. If it's wet when riding the roots and surfaces become very slippery.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment