Events

Meintjes and Janse van Rensburg on the hunt for National Title

· By Press Office · 7 comments

With just over two weeks away, excitement is building in KwaZulu-Natal as the province prepares to host the 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships from 10-14 February, with some of the biggest names in national cycling – like Jacques Janse van Rensburg and Louis Meintjes – anticipating South Africa’s blue ribbon event.

ccs-62657-0-13869900-1453902561.jpgReturning to defend his 2015 SA National Road Champion title, Jacques Janse van Rensburg (Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka) is prepared and ready for the 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships in KwaZulu-Natal from 10-14 February. Photo: Craig Dutton

Returning to defend his 2015 National Road Champion title, Janse van Rensburg, hopes to keep the 2016 Jersey in close reach. “I will definitely be giving my best to defend the jersey. As long as the jersey stays in the team we will be very happy,” he said.

The Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka rider has a number of goals set with his team this year. “We have big goals for the 2016 season. Being on UCI WorldTour level, we will be participating in all three Grand Tours this season and the Tour de France is our main goal once again, with a stage win, and yellow jersey for a day or two in mind. And also, to finish in the top 15 teams in the world this year,” he added.

After a sensational 2015 season, Janse van Rensburg is positive about the year ahead and has learnt a great deal about himself on the bicycle. “I definitely know I have what it takes to be with some of the best riders in the world in the mountain stages after the Tour de France,” he said.

Also honing in on the action is U23 Road World Championship silver medallist and 2014 SA National Road Champion, Louis Meintjes.

ccs-62657-0-15316900-1453902351.jpg2014 SA National Road Champion Louis Meintjes (front), who now rides for Team Lampre-Merida, is excited to see what lies ahead at the 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships in KwaZulu-Natal from 10-14 February. Photo: Craig Dutton

The 23-year-old South African road cycling superstar, who has signed with Italian team Lampre-Merida, has developed tremendously over the past year, especially after being part of Tour de France wildcard team, Team MTN-Qhubeka. “I really feel I gained a lot of racing experience in 2015. By doing two Grand Tours in 2015 I really learned to push my body to a new level, so hopefully it all comes in good use in 2016.”

While Meintjes expressed the desire to take the 2016 National Title, he also recognised the hard work that his peers have been putting in to prepare for the event. “It is always special to race back home and of course I would love to win the National Champs. But it looks like a lot of the other guys that are coming to race at Nationals already have very good form, so it will definitely be a tough race,” he said.

Although kicking off the 2016 season with a new team, Meintjes is content and happy with the team dynamics. “It always takes some time to get used to all the new equipment and new people you work with. But I have started my season quite early at Tour Down Under and it feels like I have already integrated well into the new team. So far it feels like a very good ‘environment’ to work in, and as I get to know everyone more it should just get better,” he said.

The 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships take place in KwaZulu-Natal from 10-14 February. All riders wishing to take part must hold a Full Racing Licence, for riders from the age of 17-years-old wishing to be eligible for provincial and national selection and championship.

Two great venues will play host to the event, with the Time Trial and Para-cycling division being held in the Wartburg/ Noodsburg/ Harburg area from 10-11 February, and the Road Races taking place in Westville/ Durban from 13-14 February. For information about exquisite accommodation venues, please visit the Cycling SA Website.

Online pre-entries are open, and close on Monday 1 February 2016 at midnight. Click here to enter: https://entries.cyclingsa.com/.

For event information, please visit http://www.cyclingsa.com/2016-sa-road-champs/, or contact Kelvin du Sart on kzncycling@iafrica.com 082 446 9833, or Michelle Matthews on matthewsmichelle68@gmail.com 084 407 5566.

Comments

r0adrunner

Jan 27, 2016, 1:50 PM

What about Impey?

After that TDU performance, the man must be feeling good!

jcza

Jan 27, 2016, 1:53 PM

What about Impey?

After that TDU performance, the man must be feeling good!

No chance of winning it riding solo I'm afraid. 

'Dale

Jan 27, 2016, 2:43 PM

How crazy the cycling gods were when DI's chain snapped in the sprint contest with Mine-Cheeze

He was the favorite to wear national colors

2014 I think

Cav'

Jan 27, 2016, 2:56 PM

Pity Shaun-Nick Bester is already in Portugal, would've liked to see him in our colors in Europe.

PregoRoll

Jan 28, 2016, 6:04 AM

The national Colors wouldn't look so nice with purple and green all around it....Come on Jacques!!

Shebeen

Jan 28, 2016, 9:38 AM

Surely dd4q must hold a lot of the cards here. Maincheese and impi to work together?

Spoke101

Jan 28, 2016, 9:52 AM

No chance of winning it riding solo I'm afraid.

He would have won in 2014 on the same course riding solo if his chain hadn't snapped.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment