Events

Meintjes Wins The South African Elite Road Championships

· By Press Office · 52 comments

In what was an exhilarating race around the streets of Westiville, KwaZulu-Natal today. The South African Road Race Championships saw Louis Meintjes come away with the national jersey. Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge) took the silver with defending champion, Jay Thomson taking the bronze medal.

ccs-2-0-82181900-1391960983.jpg

The days racing was hard and fast from the gun, with numerous attacks going off the front in the early stages. After 36km of racing the break for the day was finally established. Jacques Janse Van Rensburg, Jayde Julius (Bonitas), James Fourie (Europcar SA) and Darren Lill (Cannondale-Blend) were the riders that found themselves out ahead.

The leaders steadily managed to build their lead over the undulating course. They managed to push out a maximum advantage of just over 4 minutes around the halfway stage of the race. It was at this point that the peloton started the chase in earnest. With seeing their gap decreasing, Janse Van Rensburg attacked his breakaway counterparts in order to up the ante. This resulted in Julius and Fourie dropping from the lead group. With 36km to Janse Van Rensburg also dropped Lill and set off in pursuit off the finish.

With the final lap of 18km left to race, Janse Van Rensburg was reeled in by an 8 man chase group to make it 9 riders clear. Impey, Nolan Hoffman (Team Abantu), Christopher Jennings (Bonitas), Dylan Girdlestone (Bonitas), Lill and the three Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung riders, Thomson, Meintjes and Janse Van Rensburg were the riders in with a chance.

Team MTN Qhubeka p/b Samsung used its superior numbers to whittle down the group even further. Janse Van Rensburg, after spending the majority of the day in the break, sacrificed himself to put Thomson, Meintjes and Impey out front with 6km to go.

“Jay and I had a discussion and he said with the way he was feeling, it would be better for me to have a go at the finish. So the plan was for him to attack early and make Daryl have to chase. I would just sit and cover the move and then on the last little climb I will try make the acceleration. So yeah, luckily it worked out,” Meintjes said modestly.

Team Principal, Douglas Ryder, was really happy with the teams’ victory. “We are incredibly excited to have the national jersey going back into the European season. Louis was second at the world championships last year and to become elite national champion at his age, still being an u23 is fantastic,” Ryder continued. “He will do the jersey proud. He is going to ride a lot of stage races this year, so he will be very visible in the European peloton. It’s just fantastic that he will be wearing the national jersey.”

In the final push to line, some drama did seem to unfold where Impey may have had some mechanical issues. Ryder shared his thoughts on the incident, “It would have been wonderful for Daryl to win, he is a great campaigner for South African cycling and would also do the jersey absolutely proud. We did work really, really, hard for this though and so we super excited to take the jersey into Europe for another year.” concluded Ryder.

Comments

Vetseun

Feb 9, 2014, 3:56 PM

In what was an exhilarating race around the streets of Westiville, KwaZulu-Natal today. The South African Road Race Championships saw Louis Meintjes come away with the national jersey. Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge) took the silver with defending champion, Jay Thomson taking the bronze medal.

Click here to view the article

Isnt Louis Meintjies under 23?

Vetseun

Feb 9, 2014, 3:58 PM

IMO.

Darryl is elite champ

Louis under 23 champ

Sorry if I am wrong

rock

Feb 9, 2014, 4:12 PM

also wondering about this.....if Louis takes the elite jersey then I suppose he shouldn't be able to race the U23 world champs? bit like a vet racing elites and then wanting to enter the masters world champs later in the year??

anyways good for Menchis, classy rider......

splat

Feb 9, 2014, 4:42 PM

Daryl Impey: The team and I are looking into the rules regarding u23 and elite jerseys.
r0adrunner

Feb 9, 2014, 4:52 PM

u23 beat elite, think he deserves the jersey hey :P

Smartie

Feb 9, 2014, 4:53 PM

This does not make sense? Who is the U23 champion then? Why then split the Elite and U23 TTs if only one winner for both categories?

Lone_Ranger

Feb 9, 2014, 5:02 PM

There was a similar situation with James Reid at the XCO Nationals last year. I think he took the U23 title in the end.

rock

Feb 9, 2014, 5:03 PM

surely you can only win the category you entered and started in?

'Dale

Feb 9, 2014, 5:08 PM

surely you can only win the category you entered and started in?

Yip

'Dale

Feb 9, 2014, 5:09 PM

IMO.

Darryl is elite champ

Louis under 23 champ

Sorry if I am wrong

This would be correct.

If the rules are otherwise, then it's messy stuff.

NotSoBigBen

Feb 9, 2014, 5:11 PM

Cycle Nation@Cycle_Nation 3h

Not the case. Was announced before the race that if an U-23 got the win, he will be SA champ. @joeycycle @Cycling_SA

Smartie

Feb 9, 2014, 5:12 PM

This can only work if Louis is registered to race Elite (like a vet with an Elite racing license - he is then not allowed to race in his age category), however, Louis raced the U23 TT, so he is UCI registered as U23 and can't then claim the elite jersey as we'll?

Shebeen

Feb 9, 2014, 5:21 PM

Surely first man over the line gets the Jersey? No argument could top that.

'Dale

Feb 9, 2014, 5:23 PM

Not great administration if there is doubt.

What should be a moment of triumph is clouded by ...

GaryvdM

Feb 9, 2014, 5:27 PM

According to an article on CSA website:

As with the African Continental Championships, the Elite and under-23 Men started the 180km race together, and the first rider to cross the finish line was dubbed the Elite winner. In this instance, Meintjes is the new under-23 and Elite National Champion.

also:

Impey was visibly disappointed with his mechanical failure after a strong day in the saddle and an almost certain victory: “My chain came off in the sprint and I’m pretty disappointed. I had it in the bag, and it is really disappointing.”

'Dale

Feb 9, 2014, 5:31 PM

Congratz, Meintjies

Seems the cycling gods smiled on him with Daryl's chain snap

rock

Feb 9, 2014, 5:32 PM

Surely first man over the line gets the Jersey? No argument could top that.

so who is the U23 winner then?

edit: saw the post above....still seems odd.

'Dale

Feb 9, 2014, 5:33 PM

so who is the U23 winner then?

Meintjies

Dual title it seems

rock

Feb 9, 2014, 5:35 PM

just hope this doesnt' screw up his eligibility to go for U23 world champs......

the nerd

Feb 9, 2014, 5:41 PM

I don't think you can hold dual titles for the same event.

djsam

Feb 9, 2014, 5:53 PM

Personally see no reason.. why he can't get both titles he just happen to be first over the line and under 23... good for him.. seriously.... the rules may say otherwise... bit of a hollow victory if there was count back and i was given a jersey in a race I was beaten in.

Jakkals.

Feb 9, 2014, 6:00 PM

MENTJES!!!!

Vetseun

Feb 9, 2014, 6:22 PM

If the u23 and elite riders rode the same race but as diffent age groups then it its easy. First u23 over line is u23 champ. First elite over line is elite champ.

'Dale

Feb 9, 2014, 6:35 PM

Anyone has a link to watch a recording?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment