Events

Memorial ride for murdered Ian McPherson

Supplied by the Pedal Power Association.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The Pedal Power Association is organising a memorial ride on Sunday 6 May to commemorate 68 year old Ian McPherson who was killed during a bicycle robbery near Fish Hoek on Tuesday 13 March 2018.

The memorial ride will include the symbolic placing of a ghost bike close to the spot where McPherson lost his life. The ride will start at the Fish Hoek sports fields, from where the group will follow one of McPherson’s favourite routes over Chapman’s Peak to Bakoven and back. McPherson was stabbed and robbed of his bicycle and cell phone. Three suspects were arrested for possession of stolen possession and one count of murder. The murder suspect has given up his right to appeal at the hearing on the 29th of March and will remain in custody until the next court date which is set for the 8th of May.

ccs-62657-0-65242800-1523456108.jpg

‘The brutal attack in which my father was tragically killed is but one in a recent series of assaults on cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts in the area. Something must be done,’ explained Rob McPherson, Ian’s son. ‘The local community lost a good man and our family a much-loved husband, father, grandfather and brother. This cannot continue and hopefully, we have now reached a tipping point so that my father’s legacy is not that of a victim, but of a man whose death galvanised a community and motivated them to act.’

This memorial ride hopes to bring the community together, not only in remembrance of Ian McPherson, but also to show those that wish to do harm, that the community will not tolerate such acts.

‘As a son who lost a father, I call upon Helen Zille, the Western Cape Provincial Government and all other local authorities in this country to act now. I call upon them to honour the national constitution, to deliver democratic values, social justice and our fundamental human rights. I wish to call upon authorities to clean up our streets, to resource our police in order to stop senseless and avoidable crimes,’ McPherson said.

CEO of the Pedal Power Association, Robert Vogel, said the level of violence involved is alarming. “The victims have no chance when the criminal is prepared to kill in order to steal what he wants,” Vogel said. The safety of cyclists in South Africa is a key priority for the PPA and we sincerely hope that action will be taken to secure the safety of cyclists in the area,” said Vogel.

Details at a glance: Memorial Ride for Ian McPherson:

Date: Sunday 6 May 2018
Venue: Parking area at the Fish Hoek Sport Fields
Time: 07h00 for 07h30
Route: Corsair Road straight over Ou Kaapse Weg into Noordhoek Drive, Chapman’s Peak, Hout Bay, Suikerbossie, Llandudno, Bakoven and back to the sports fields. Please note there will be no road closures and all cyclists must obey the rules of the road at all times.

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment