Events

Minnaar to race 100th UCI World Cup at the Fort

· By Press Office · 16 comments

South African downhill icon and current World Champion, Greg Minnaar, will be racing his 100th UCI World Cup this weekend at Fort William in Scotland, on 8 June 2014.

ccs-41808-0-35326600-1401959393.jpg

Minnaar’s illustrious downhill racing career has dubbed him as one of the most consistent riders on the world circuit. This feat goes without saying, as Minnaar’s accolades include 3 World Championship titles, 16 Downhill World Cup victories and 61 Downhill World Cup podiums from 99 starts in his 14-year career. Minnaar has nine Downhill World Champion medals in total – 3 x gold, 3 x silver and 3 x bronze.

Fort William has always felt like Minnaar’s home away from home over the years. Since he began his professional career in the United Kingdom, it is somewhat fitting that his 100th World Cup event is taking place at the Fort. “The only venue that could be more special racing my 100th World Cup would be Pietermaritzburg. So yes, I’m excited for it.”

When asked about his most memorable World Cup race in his career, Minnaar says: “That’s a hard one to answer, but I would have to go with my first World Cup win at home in Pietermaritzburg in 2009. There is no better feeling than winning at home.”

ccs-41808-0-71560000-1401959398.jpg

Not only have the downhill courses become more technical and creative over the years, but so too has the equipment. “Technology has progressed a lot!” says Minnaar. “It’s gotten more professional over the years and we have been pushing the boundaries of technology. It’s kinda cool to see the directions technology was going, then making a drastic turn and going a completely different direction.”

On behalf of Cycling South Africa and the entire South African cycling community, we wish Greg all the very best for his 100th UCI World Cup this weekend!

View Greg Minnaar’s list of career achievements here

Comments

Grebel

Jun 5, 2014, 9:28 AM

The man is a legend! I'll be watching this weekend! Good luck Mr Minn. Keep it pinned!

Tumbleweed

Jun 5, 2014, 9:28 AM

Go Greg!

The article, however, doesn't mention his three World Cup series victories.

Stretch

Jun 5, 2014, 9:34 AM

doesnt he also need one more victory to match steve peat

anyway - i will most definitely be watching...apparently rain predicted

Capricorn

Jun 5, 2014, 10:10 AM

can't wait for this world cup. my Fave track! bucket list item.

rock

Jun 5, 2014, 11:21 AM

I remember tracking his UCI ranking as a 16 or 17 yr old junior to the point where he took over Filip Polc as the highest ranked Junior DH racer in the world......

Overall the best DH racer of all time if you look at consistency and diversity of results, World Cups, World champs, Norba's etc.

Shebeen

Jun 5, 2014, 11:25 AM

what a legend.

Wonder where his PR went wrong that he's not a household name locally?

Stretch

Jun 5, 2014, 11:48 AM

what a legend.

Wonder where his PR went wrong that he's not a household name locally?

Rob Warner actually mentioned it at cairns - the problem with Greg is that everyone just expects him to be up there that they don't mention his name...so his name is not on the top of everyone's mind.....but.....last year he came third in the world cup and won world champs. 2012 he won World champs and came 2nd!

I think thats where the whole onelife thing has now come about..and following his instagram I see he had a big mens health shoot...and now they are punting his 100th World cup race.

I dont think he was ever a massive household name - but in the cycling circles he is definitely still very respected and admired

Gen

Jun 5, 2014, 12:32 PM

One of SA mosts successful sportsmans and he gets almost zip recognition in SA.

BUT HELLS BELLS he is something special.. what a rider.

Gen

Jun 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

NotSoBigBen

Jun 5, 2014, 12:40 PM

Do we need to watch on Redbull TV or will it be on regular TV?

flat29

Jun 5, 2014, 12:44 PM

dstv ss205 and ss215 15:15 Sunday

Gen

Jun 5, 2014, 12:45 PM

Flip I hope dstv broadcast it live.

NotSoBigBen

Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 PM

dstv ss205 and ss215 15:15 Sunday

Many thanks! Will set a reminder :)

Headshot

Jun 5, 2014, 12:48 PM

Redbull TV works a treat and I can get up to 540p with a wifi connected PC!

Stretch

Jun 5, 2014, 1:01 PM

it is literally in 3 days time down to the minute

Tumbleweed

Jun 6, 2014, 4:11 AM

There are some journos - my boet is one and hubber TimW another - who have fought for column space for him, but, ja, not nearly enough for one of the best sportsmen we've ever produced.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment