Events

Minnaar to serve on UCI Athlete Commission

· By Press Office · 2 comments

Three-time Downhill World Champion, Greg Minnaar, has been appointed as one of 13 members of the renewed International Cycling Union’s (UCI) Athlete Commission, representing the mountain bike discipline up until 2017.

The UCI press release indicated that the 13 members hailed from four continents, with “Men-Women parity ensured for the four Olympic disciplines (road, track, mountain bike, BMX) and Para-cycling.”

ccs-62657-0-52380700-1434116599.jpg

Three-time Downhill World Champion, Greg Minnaar, has been appointed as one of 13 members of the renewed International Cycling Union’s (UCI) Athlete Commission, representing the mountain bike discipline up until 2017. // Photo credit: Kathy Sessler/Santa Cruz Syndicate.

For the first time, and in line with UCI President, Brian Cookson’s desire for openness and transparency, the members were elected directly by their peers. A Commission President will be appointed during its first meeting in (northern hemisphere) autumn 2015. The new Athlete Commission President will be co-opted onto the UCI Management Committee to ensure that the athletes are well represented.

The missions of the Athletes Commission are mainly to:

• improve the training and competition conditions for athletes;
  • give riders the opportunity to have their say with the guarantee of being heard by the cycling family and its administration;
  • allow the UCI to receive riders’ opinions directly;
  • reinforce the links between current or recently-retired athletes and the UCI.

Cookson said: “I am very proud of this new step, which signifies a significant move forward in the representation of the athletes, and the achievement of a commitment that is important to me. The athletes are the heart of our sport, and it was necessary to give them the place they deserve. This reinvigorated Athlete Commission corresponds with my concept of modern governance that is founded on dialogue and cooperation between the UCI and cycling’s main players.”

The newly elected UCI Athlete Commission representatives:

ccs-62657-0-97431500-1434116775.jpg

Comments

Stretch

Jun 12, 2015, 4:35 PM

I have been waiting for him to be involved in the UCI. He has some good ideas and hopefully will have some influence. I wonder how they felt about trade trade team rant the other day though!

His entire career was boosted through assistance from the uci so he does owe them some time

popcorn_skollie

Jun 12, 2015, 7:53 PM

Mooi. Stretch, I remember him tweeting about SCS being denied elite status some time back. I don't recall him ever expressing a personal opinion on it though. Lets assume he did and I just missed it.

Irrespective, Mr Minn was elected as an athlete representative. I might be wrong. But Santa Cruz or any sponsor for that matter is a completely seperate issue alltogether.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment