Events

Moolman-Pasio prepared for first major race of 2016

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The Zulu Kingdom prepares to welcome some of the country’s favourite cycling and para-cycling superstars to the province of sunny KwaZulu-Natal, as they descend from all corners of the country to take part in the 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships from 10-14 February.

Multiple South African Champion and London 2012 Olympian Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio is focused and ready to go for her first race of 2016. “I have had SA Champs as my first big race to kick off the year for the last three years and so I’m not unfamiliar with going straight into something like this,” she said.

ccs-62657-0-78103800-1453378114.jpgMultiple South African Champion and London 2012 Olympian Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (Bigla Pro Cycling Team) is focused and ready to go for her first race of the year when she takes on the 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships in KwaZulu-Natal from 10-14 February. Photo: Craig Dutton

Although this is her first competition in 2016, Moolman-Pasio is confident and feels well prepared. She mentioned that some riders like to use races as a training method in order to prepare: “But I’m a good trainer. I train well on my own and have great self-discipline, which allows me to be prepared for a race like this without having to use other races to get ready. It’s not a problem for me.”

Moolman-Pasio, who rides for Bigla Pro Cycling Team, mentioned that most of her racing commitments are predominantly in Europe and that the racing season has already kicked off.

“Of course to defend my title and win it for the Time Trial and Road Race again would be amazing,” she said. “It’s always such an incredible honour to wear the South African colours on my Jersey, especially when I’m overseas.”

Having said that, Moolman-Pasio mentioned that she also does not want to peak too early, with her major focus being on the Rio Olympic Games in August this year.

Moolman-Pasio travels to Spain on Friday with her Bigla Pro Cycling Team to take part in a training camp in Mallorca on 23 January. She then returns to South Africa to compete in the Road Champs.

The 2016 SA National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships take place in KwaZulu-Natal from 10-14 February. All riders wishing to take part must hold a Full Racing Licence, for riders from the age of 17-years-old wishing to be eligible for provincial and national selection and championship.

Two fabulous venues will play host to the event, with the Time Trial and Para-cycling division being held in the Wartburg/ Noodsburg/ Harburg area from 10-11 February, and the Road Races taking place in Westville/ Durban from 13-14 February.

Online pre-entries are open, and close on Monday 1 February 2016 at midnight. Click here to enter: https://entries.cyclingsa.com/.

For event information, please visit http://www.cyclingsa.com/2016-sa-road-champs/, or contact Kelvin du Sart on kzncycling@iafrica.com 082 446 9833, or Michelle Matthews on matthewsmichelle68@gmail.com 084 407 5566.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment