Events

Mountain bike community launches anti-rogue riding campaign

· By Press Office · 52 comments

Although currently one of the fastest growing recreational sport categories in South Africa, the sport of mountain biking (MTB) is being threatened by the emerging negative trend of rogue riding.

According to Johan Kriegler, Director FNB Wines2Whales(W2W) MTB Events, the exceptional growth of the sport has resulted in an increase in the number of MTB events as well as the building and opening of public MTB trails. “The Western Cape has become a favorite MTB destination with a growing number of public MTB trails in and around the Peninsula. MTB events such as the ABSA Cape Epic and the FNB W2W have established itself on the international and local circuits as leading multi-stage events”.

Kriegler emphasizes that although a costly exercise, MTB trail building and the maintenance thereof have proven to be a positive job creation opportunity, with a number of previously un-employed citizens finding a destiny in this newly established market. Most MTB trails that are open to the public charge a daily or annual fee. To ensure proper access control on public and privately owned properties, mountain bikers are required to own a permit. Most MTB event trails are a combination of public trails and roads or trails within public and privately owned properties.

“The public MTB trails together with the numerous MTB events staged in the Western Cape afford mountain bikers a unique opportunity to enjoy scenic and interesting trails, enabled by professionally managed partnerships between event organizers, trail- public and private landowners,” continues Kriegler. “These partnerships are built on mutual trust and respect of private property and privacy of landowners. Unfortunately this mutually beneficial relationship is being threatened by a small group of selfish mountain bikers that are continuously trespassing on private property, riding illegally whenever and wherever they wish and resulting in tarnished partnerships and eventually, trail closures by landowners”.

“These riders, known as rogue riders, also ride illegally on public MTB trails without bike permits, refusing to pay a small daily or annual fee. Land- and route owners together with event organizers have decided to act seriously against such riders. The decision was taken to ban rogue riders for at least three years from all MTB events in the Western Cape including the FNB W2W, ABSA Cape Epic, and MTB events organized by MTB Adventures, Stillwater Sport & Entertainment, Dirtopia and PPA. Please assist us in getting these rogue riders out of mountain biking, and allow us to continue creating some of the best MTB trails while maintaining respectful relationships with landowners. Let’s continue to grow this amazing sport with responsible and like- minded riders,” urges Kriegler.

Amarider will manage the disciplinary process of rogue riders and will inform the relevant event organizers once a rogue rider has been found to be guilty of frequent illegal riding on private property and/or public trails.

Members of the larger and responsible MTB fraternity are encouraged to communicate and express their anti-rogue riding opinion by notifying Amarider of anyone involved in such rogue practices.

Contact Amarider on (021) 884 – 4547 or email info@amarider.co.za

For further information visit www.amarider.co.za

Comments

Chro Mo

Jun 9, 2014, 1:16 PM

Good initiative.

Hope it sees positive results.

Shebeen

Jun 9, 2014, 1:17 PM

great idea....just not sure how they'll actually implement it....anyone could appeal, need proof etc. but would be a real name and shame exercise

Skubarra

Jun 9, 2014, 1:37 PM

"will inform the relevant event organizers once a rogue rider has been found to be guilty of frequent illegal riding"

Exactly how are they going to identify the rogue riders? Ask them nicely for their names?

And how many chances do you get? Not exactly holding my breath that this is going to work..

GoLefty!!

Jun 9, 2014, 1:49 PM

I think the number of go-pro's and other camera equiped devices will make it easy to take a picture of the rogues....

begs the question of course what was the photographers doing there....

Matt Lochner

Jun 9, 2014, 3:11 PM

Strava...

DJR

Jun 9, 2014, 3:21 PM

I know that some landowners are putting up motion sensor cameras. Imagine how bad it is when your leopard monitor cameras start to snap pictures of rogue mtbikers. Now they have learnt, and they'll use it to see who goes where!

TYGA

Jun 9, 2014, 5:25 PM

Once word gets out that one or two have been made an example of the rest will quickly sharpen up.

Guest 1979

Jun 9, 2014, 8:44 PM

Excuse my ignorance, I don't really understand the term 'rogue riders'. Are these people riding on private land where trails exist but are not open to the public except for events or people riding on trails without paying? Or both?

Danger Dassie

Jun 9, 2014, 9:18 PM

Excuse my ignorance, I don't really understand the term 'rogue riders'. Are these people riding on private land where trails exist but are not open to the public except for events or people riding on trails without paying? Or both?

"group of selfish mountain bikers that are continuously trespassing on private property, riding illegally whenever and wherever they wish"

“These riders, known as rogue riders, also ride illegally on public MTB trails without bike permits, refusing to pay a small daily or annual fee."

GrantRH

Jun 10, 2014, 5:32 AM

Good initiative. Although I have strayed on to private land once or twice simply by getting lost. So as long as it's a fair process that recognises that getting lost happens.

Guess why they say you will only be banned if you are found to "regularly" trespass.

Guest 1979

Jun 10, 2014, 5:34 AM

"group of selfish mountain bikers that are continuously trespassing on private property, riding illegally whenever and wherever they wish"

“These riders, known as rogue riders, also ride illegally on public MTB trails without bike permits, refusing to pay a small daily or annual fee."

What I mean is are those riders just randomly entering other people's property, like farm roads, etc. or are they following trails that have been built for the purpose of mountain biking but only for specific events?

lnature543

Jun 10, 2014, 9:09 AM

There is currently a dispute between the organisers of the Freedom Challenge and landowners in the Gamkaskloof/Hel area in the Swartberg Mountains.

How does this get resolved if both parties believe they have rights in the matter?

Skubarra

Jun 10, 2014, 9:19 AM

What I mean is are those riders just randomly entering other people's property, like farm roads, etc. or are they following trails that have been built for the purpose of mountain biking but only for specific events?

Both

Jun 10, 2014, 11:57 AM

"...also ride illegally on public MTB trails..." ???

braailegend

Jun 10, 2014, 12:10 PM

Although currently one of the fastest growing recreational sport categories in South Africa, the sport of mountain biking (MTB) is being threatened by the emerging negative trend of rogue riding.

Click here to view the article

thought mountain biking started as rogue riders, cutting paths in municipal Forrest... if it wasnt for the rogues, pressure wouldnt have been there to create the routes. :whistling:

Come catch me,lol

Rouxenator

Jun 10, 2014, 1:21 PM

I fully support this initiative.

The past two weekends I spotted rogue riders on the Bottelary Hills trail, the one dude was on a pretty expensive Lefty. I ride a R6k bike and I can afford a year pass of R450, why can't people with R24k bikes do the same?

Such posers!

StiaanK

Jun 10, 2014, 5:05 PM

To be able to ride in a safe environment on a privately owned piece of land is a privilege and those that abuse that privilege are the lowest form of life. These trails do not maintain themselves. Pay the small entrance fee,if not then buy a road bike and go play chicken with the taxis.

GoLefty!!

Jun 10, 2014, 5:18 PM

"...also ride illegally on public MTB trails..." ???

what part of that do you need assistance with?

think Activity card and night rides

Skubarra

Jun 10, 2014, 8:52 PM

I despise rogue riders and I will support ANY measure to punish them.

That said, I don't think this initiative in isolation will be particularly effective unless it's combined with better "policing" of trails.

Rogue riders aren't idiots and it's not as if they are going to volunteer their identities to everyone that attempts to confront them.

I will get excited by this when I see the identity of the first banned rider on the Amarider website.

Pieterg

Jun 11, 2014, 5:05 AM

Goeie idee,

Scotty P

Jun 13, 2014, 7:55 AM

There is currently a dispute between the organisers of the Freedom Challenge and landowners in the Gamkaskloof/Hel area in the Swartberg Mountains.

How does this get resolved if both parties believe they have rights in the matter?

This is such a common occurrence, and is only getting worse. We have a massive conundrum here on the North Coast and it's not going to end well. All we want to do is ride. We pay our annual fees, we buy our permits, we have fantastic trails.....we just want to ride!!!!

Ketoorskop

Jun 13, 2014, 8:00 AM

This is such a common occurrence, and is only getting worse. We have a massive conundrum here on the North Coast and it's not going to end well. All we want to do is ride. We pay our annual fees, we buy our permits, we have fantastic trails.....we just want to ride!!!!

There definitely seems to be a gap or a need for an organisation that can help in dealing with this things without them escalating into unpleasant situations and nasty legal battles.

cadenceblur

Jun 13, 2014, 1:33 PM

its about the willingness to police these issues as well. On a recent ride at Tokai, I witnessed the ranger on duty "wave" some non paying riders through, this after my buddy had paid.

johannrissik

Jun 14, 2014, 3:11 PM

I would fully support an initiative to stop "rogue" riding. Disregard for private property is unacceptable. Regrettably there are also situations where public roads and rights of way are closed by landowners.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment