Events

Mountain biking around the clock in the Elgin Valley this weekend

· By Press Office · 2 comments

Riders from the Cape Town & Boland areas will be gathering their camping gear for an enjoyable two days in Grabouw this weekend, 28 & 29th of January 2017. The 24Hours of Oak Valley, presented by Bike Hub, will take place from 12h00 on Saturday and riders can enter in various categories of teams of four. The Solo category is limited, but there is also a fun team category where 5 to 8 riders can do the relay. But hurry, as only pre-entries are accepted.

ccs-62657-0-15722500-1485106334.jpg

The rider or team in each category that completes the most 11 km laps in the 24 hour period wins, although most participants just go for the socializing and do get some sleep rather than riding through the night. The course has singletrack and jeep track which keeps the riders busy, especially during the night when the course takes on a different feel. The loop caters for all level riders and has around 250 metres of climbing, with 2/3rds singletrack and over half of that is forested!

Non-riders can join in the fun by supporting the participants at the transition zone.

Entry fees vary per category, but start from around R300 per rider which includes camping, support crew, riding, goody bag, drinks, medals, and charging stations for lights & batteries. There will be food, coffee & drinks for sale and other facilities include showers, flushing toilets, and massages. Bring the kids – they’ll love playing on the lawns and jumping castle. Campsites are not reserved, and work on a first come, first served basis.

Spectators will pay a R50 day fee to enter the event area and extra campers will pay R100 for Saturday night, but official support crew (two per team or Solo) are allowed to camp free. Gates for camping & registration opens 7am Saturday morning.

Dirtopia has organized more than twenty five 24-hour events since 2003, but this venue offers the most for riders & campers alike. Some riders will use the event as training, some will race to win, and others will just be there to chill with their friends. What a great outdoor way to start the year and get back that holiday feeling!

Entries will close on Monday, 23 January 2017 at midnight.

Go to www.dirtopia.co.za to enter and or more information or email: info@dirtopia.co.za or call the Dirtopia Trail Centre at 021 884 4752

Comments

Grease_Monkey

Jan 24, 2017, 5:59 AM

Love these sorts of events!! Please do one in Gauteng!!

dirtypot

Jan 24, 2017, 6:47 AM

Hey, that's me in the back of that picture!  I'm famous!

Looking forward to my first solo this year, although it's going to be tough after my Everest this last weekend...  My poor body.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment