Events

MTN-Qhubeka La Vuelta a Espana team annoucement

· By Press Office · 11 comments

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung has announced its team to contest the 2014 La Vuelta a Espana, including 6 African and 3 European riders.

ccs-62657-0-12605100-1408299555.jpg

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung La Vuelta a Espana Lineup

Sergio Pardilla

Gerald Ciolek

Louis Meintjes

Jay Thomson

Jaco Venter

Jacques Janse van Rensburg

Daniel Teklehaimanot

Merhawi Kudus

Kristian Sbaragli

Reserve: Ignatas Konovalovas

Team Principal- Douglas Ryder

I must truly thank Unipublic for giving us this opportunity to participate in La Vuelta a Espana this year. It is fitting that Africa’s first ever team to race a Grand Tour starts the one Grand Tour that is closest to the African Continent. I am really proud of this team and how the riders have stepped up in the last 2 years. To have such a great team dynamic in our first Grand Tour with a strong representation from the African Continent shows how far this team has come and how all of our European riders have helped fast-track this team to success. It was a really tough decision to select the final 9 riders as our team has riders that have so much to offer. Thanks to the management team and the staff who built the team up to this incredible milestone for African Cycling and to our invaluable title sponsor MTN who believed in the dream so many years ago. The recent support from Samsung helped us step up to another level and the Qhubeka Foundation gave us a reason to exist way beyond performances on the bike. Support our team through this journey as another chapter starts

Rider – Gerald Ciolek

It’s a great thing that we’ll be at the start of La Vuelta, it is a big step forward for our team. I am personally looking forward to it too because I believe our team can perform really well at this race. It is a race that suits our team and especially our climbers can be successful.

Rider – Louis Meintjes

I am super happy to have been selected to race La Vuelta, I still can’t really believe it. I think after La Vuelta I will only realise what it actually means. My main goal will firstly be to just reach the finish and after that I will definitely look to target 1 or 2 stages for a result. Of course I will help support Sergio for the GC on the mountain stages too.

Rider – Jay Thomson

This is probably one of the proudest moments in my career to be on the start line of my first grand tour. I just can’t wait to get the ball rolling. Having 4 riders from South Africa is unreal and a total of 6 from Africa to start La Vuelta is something really special. Never before has this been done so it’s a massive step for African cycling.

Rider – Jaco Venter

I am so happy to have been selected. I must admit, it has been a really stressful few weeks leading up to La Vuelta but I couldn’t be happier and I hope to make the team and all our fans proud.

Rider – Kristian Sbaragli

I am really happy and proud to be part of the final selection for La Vuelta. It will definitely be a hard race but I am confident I can do well at my first grand tour. I have been preparing for a long time at altitude for La Vuelta so I will be ready.

Comments

eddy

Aug 18, 2014, 5:07 AM

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung has announced its team to contest the 2014 La Vuelta a Espana, including 6 African and 3 European riders.

Click here to view the article

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kranswurm

Aug 18, 2014, 5:10 AM

No Songezo :-(

Hilton.

Aug 18, 2014, 9:50 AM

So frikking proud of them :) Go represent!

philip.maree

Aug 18, 2014, 2:09 PM

Why no Linus Gerdemann?

Maniax

Aug 18, 2014, 2:21 PM

Might be a dumb question, but why are there Europeans in a African continental team?

Jakkals.

Aug 18, 2014, 2:23 PM

Might be a dumb question, but why are there Europeans in a African continental team?

For the same reason Victor Mattfield is in the springbok team.

Experience

DieVlieg

Aug 18, 2014, 2:35 PM

It is professional sport not amateur sport. Like half the Boks playing rugby in France. But they do call themselves African as that is where the team originates as a package of Sponsors, base and vision. The European riders are there for talent and experience. Hi heard an interview once that the ideal would be to have an all African team in the future. But for now they are building a name for the team so they get invited onto more tours.

They do bring those riders over to SA from time to time to train here. I would hope that one day we can stage a tour in SA that would attract other European teams to come race here. Maybe if these guys get respect over there and invite other teams to come over here we could see a revolution in cycling in SA.

Interesting think is that the UCI dropped SA for an WC event as there was a lack of spectators at the last such event.... Can not remember which event was talked about.

GaryvdM

Aug 18, 2014, 3:13 PM

So the Vuelta team is 66% African.

Doug Ryder talks about the composition of the team in this video: play from 3:12 until 5:17

youtu.be/SF5mv_bwYVI?t=3m12s

http://youtu.be/SF5mv_bwYVI?t=3m12s

You can see the whole series on MTN-Qhubeka here:

Stiggy

Aug 18, 2014, 3:24 PM

I'm super excited for the Vuelta! Gonna be great to shout for OUR team!

'Dale

Aug 18, 2014, 8:35 PM

It's an important milestone for them as they build toward the future

GO MTN-Q!!!

BMC - VTown

Aug 19, 2014, 6:15 PM

All the best to you guys, show us the flags.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment