Events

Murray in medal hunt at ITU World Triathlon Series

· By Matt · 0 comments

One more podium place in the ITU World Triathlon Series will make the season a successful one says Richard Murray.

richtraining3.jpg

Murray’s next race in the World Series is in on 24 August in Stockholm, Sweden. It will be a first for Murray. “Stockholm is a course that has many turns and twists. My training is specific towards the course preparation and some extra miles and speed has been done in my swimming and running to bring them to the forefront. Last season I didn’t race Stockholm and it will be great for me to go somewhere new this year to race a WTS event.”

According to Murray he will give his all for a medal. “In this race the break can stay away if the chase isn’t good enough. I will do my best to bring the front swimmers back so that I can have a go for a medal. I am tired of sitting in the second group after the swim and then I have to run really hard to make sure of a top 5 position.”

Murray has started the WTS with a second place in San Diego. Since then he has finished in the top 5 most of the times even though he gets out of the water 30 seconds and more behind the big guns. “I wish that there had been more people to work with on the bike though so that we could have brought back the lead group. Many of the top ITU strong bikers have left the series and this has caused a weaker chase group and break always are able to stay away.”

Murray has made some big changes this season and along the way he has been learning some valuable lessons. “As I have my first full time coach (Joel Filliol), trust has been a lesson I am trying to learn. We have worked together very closely at times and this has helped me to understand my body more and also it has shown in my more consistent results this year.

“I have also learnt to have fun and let loose more this year as it is the time to do so. On the races I have come to see that I need to be patient and that as the next years roll on towards Rio de Janeiro in 2016 my swim will continue to improve and I will be with the boys come the end of next two season and that will set me up for podiums more often.”

Live Twitter Q&A With Richard Murray

Triathlon fans: Don’t miss the Live Q&A with Richard Murray on Twitter tomorrow, 16 August 2013 @ 13h00.

Follow and use the hashtag #TriMurray. Follow Richard here – @RD_murray

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment