Events

Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games: Team South Africa Profile

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Take a closer look at the South African youth team taking part in the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games in China, from 16-28 August. The team includes BMX racers Alex Limberg and Maia Rawlins, road cyclist Ivan Venter and mountain biker Lebo Pebane.

ccs-62657-0-38574200-1408351261.jpg

Relebohile Pebane

Full Names: Relebohile “Lebo” Pebane
Date of Birth: 17 March 1996
Hometown: Bocshabelo, Free State
Where you live now: Diepsloot, Johannesburg
School: Kwena Molapo Secondary School
Most memorable cycling moment: 2014 Gauteng MTB XCO Championships where I finished in 2nd place.

Lebo Pebane will be competing in the Women’s team event Road TT on Monday 18 August, Women’s team event XCO on Wednesday 20 August, Women’s team event Road Race on Friday 22 August and the International Mixed Relay on Sunday 24 August.

Eighteen-year-old Lebo Pebane started cycling three years ago, at the age of 15. Being an adventurous person, Pebane needed an activity that would keep her busy, and cycling was the solution.

ccs-62657-0-60522500-1408350321.jpgPhoto credit: Wessel Oosthuizen/SASPA.

She grew up in her hometown of Bocshabelo in the Free State, and now lives in Diepsloot, Johannesburg. Pebane attends Kwena Molapo Secondary School, and enjoys listening to music and writing poetry when she is not too busy.

Being in Diepsloot gained her the opportunity to cycle with the Diepsloot Mountain Bike Academy – Pebane’s main supporter as they have given her the platform to train and participate in races. In doing so, Pebane has gained a tremendous amount of experience, as well as exposure.

The academy has a few sponsors namely 32Gi, Absa, Isuzu, NFRUG and Thackwell & Whittacker who make it possible for the project to keep running. The trustees of the academy also support her a lot – André, Cindy, Sue, Tennille, Dite, Simon, Gugu, and Sibo. Pebane’s other supporters include fellow local talent William Mokgopo, her Mom, and her boyfriend Lebo Molekoa. Mokgopo’s cycling prowess has been a great inspiration to Pebane.

Pebane feels excited ahead of the Nanjing Youth Olympic Games. “It is has shown me that there is a lot of opportunity available to me if I work hard; I’m really excited to be participating in the YOG,” she said.

Preparing for cycling events outside of her comfort zone has added to the anticipation of attending the Games. “I’m nervous for the road race, but I’ve been training hard. I’ve been running, and cycling on the indoor trainer with a road bike. I’m excited for the mountain bike event as that is my forte”.

Click here to view Lebo Pebane’s Youth Olympic Games profile.

ccs-62657-0-14236900-1408351724.jpg

Ivan Venter

Full Names: Ivan Venter
Date of Birth: 3 September 1996
Hometown: Somerset West, Western Cape
Where you live now: Aigle, Switzerland
School: Somerset West Private School
Most memorable cycling moment: Going to both MTB and Road World Championships in the same year.

Ivan Venter will be competing in the Men’s team event Road TT on Monday 18 August, Men’s team event XCO on Wednesday 20 August, Men’s team event Road Race on Friday 22 August and the International Mixed Relay on Sunday 24 August.

South African cyclist, Ivan Venter, hails from Somerset West in the Western Cape, and currently lives in Aigle Switzerland, where he trains at the UCI World Cycling Centre.
The 17-year-old aspiring cyclist attended the Somerset West Private School while schooling in South Africa.

Venter’s passion for cycling developed when his father and brother started cycling. From the age of 9-years-old, Venter started turning the cranks and not only did he want to join his family, but he wanted to beat them too!

All professional cyclists are a great inspiration to Venter, who looks up to them. Venter’s parents have sponsored his efforts for many years, while his family and friends are his greatest supporters.

Venter’s most memorable cycling moment has been when he attended both mountain bike and Road World Championships in the same year.

In his last year as a Junior cyclist, Venter says that attending the Youth Olympic Games is very special. “The youth Olympic Games is a really special event and to be selected to go is a real boost for the morale and a boost for my cycling career,” he said.

“I enjoy both the mountain bike and road events and I cannot wait for them. I have been training long and hard, and living and racing in Switzerland at the UCI World Cycling Centre.”

When he’s not racing, Venter likes to chill by playing PS3.

Click here to view Ivan Venter’s Youth Olympic Games profile.

ccs-62657-0-49203600-1408353514.jpg

Maia Rawlins

Full Names: Maia Rawlins
Date of Birth: 25 October 1997
Hometown: Durban
Where you live now: Cowies Hill
School: Thomas More College
Most memorable cycling moment: 2010 Worlds in SA. I had only been racing a short while and although I was completely frightened, nervous and inexperienced, it was a race that showed me what BMX racing is all about. The adrenalin and the atmosphere was intense and then I fell in love with the sport.

Maia Rawlins will be competing in the Women’s team event XCE on Sunday 17 August, Women’s team event BMX on Tuesday 19 August (seeding and Finals), Women’s team event Road Race on Friday 22 August and the International Mixed Relay on Sunday 24 August.

Maia Rawlins (16) started cycling when she was 13-years-old. She went to her local track at Giba Gorge to watch a race, and thought that she would at least try it out. After getting on a BMX track, there was no turning back.

The Cowies Hill local attends Thomas More College, and enjoys drawing and painting to unwind when not studying or racing. Rawlins’ parents have been most supportive of her career, sponsoring her at every opportunity.

To compete in the Ninjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games is a dream come true for Rawlins. “It means a lot to me. It is at the highest level for me to be at now. It will give me a taste of what the Olympics is all about, and I will know what to work for at the real Games.”

Rawlins feels confident ahead of her multiple events in Nanjing. “I feel good. It will be interesting to compete in other disciplines; I’ve been training for them. I’m feeling quite prepared. At the beginning of the year, I did a mountain bike race and a road race, to see what it is all about. Otherwise I’ve mostly been riding the trails at Giba Gorge.”

Click here to view Maia Rawlins’ Youth Olympic Games profile.

ccs-62657-0-12165900-1408354579.jpg

Alex Limberg

Full Names: Alex Matthew Limberg
Date of Birth: 27 November 1996
Hometown: Cape Town
Where you live now: Brackendowns, Gauteng
School: Bracken High
Most memorable cycling moment: getting selected to represent South Africa in the Youth Olympic games

Alex Limberg will be competing in the Men’s team event XCE on Sunday 17 August, Men’s team event Road Race on Friday 22 August, Men’s team event BMX on Tuesday 19 August (seeding and Finals) and the International Mixed Relay on Sunday 24 August.

Seventeen-year-old Alex Limberg rates being selected to represent South Africa in the Youth Olympic Games as one of his career highlights. “I am really proud to represent South Africa but then again I’m also really nervous and excited at the same time,” he said.

Limberg was born in Cape Town but currently resides in Brackendowns in Gauteng, and attends his local school, Bracken High School.

He started cycling when he was nine years of age, and says that the speed and adrenalin rush he gets when competing is what raised his interest in the sport.

Limberg admires multiple South African BMX Champion, former Cruiser World Champion and Olympian, Sifiso Nhlapo.

His family and friends have provided him with great support over the years, fuelling his desire to race BMX bicycles on the world stage.

When asked how he felt about racing in the road race and mountain bike events in Nanjing, and how he had prepared for them, Limberg said: “I’m excited to race in these events because its something I don’t often do, therefore all my training that was done took place in a gym.”

When Limberg is not racing, he enjoys listening to music and riding his bicycle.

Click here to view Alex Limberg’s Youth Olympic Games profile.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment