Events

Nathan Haas and Omar Fraile join Team Dimension Data

· By Press Office · 23 comments

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung, which is set to race as Team Dimension Data next season, is happy to announce the addition of two new riders; Nathan Haas and Omar Fraile. Moreover, the team will keep its core line-up.

ccs-62657-0-40224000-1443600919.jpg

Norwegian national road race champion Edvald Boasson Hagen will remain with the South African team, as will Steve Cummings, Tyler Farrar, Jacques Janse van Rensburg, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Daniel Teklehaimanot, Merhawi Kudus, and Serge Pauwels. The eight have been part of the successful Tour de France team in July. They will be joined by the likes of La Vuelta stage winner Kristian Sbaragli and Eritrean national road race champion Natnael Berhane among others.

Australian Nathan Haas was the first new rider to sign a contract for our South African registered team. Over the last four years the 26-year-old has been riding for Cannondale-Garmin, with two wins at the iconic Japan Cup being his major results. He also showed strong performances in shorter stage races. He will be a valuable rider when races come down to small bunch sprints.

Spaniard Omar Fraile makes the move from Caja Rural-Seguros RGA. He comes off a strong season that saw him taking wins at the 4 Jours de Dunkerque and the Giro dell’Appennino. He also managed to climb onto the final podium of the Vuelta a Espana in Madrid as winner of the King of the Mountain classification. The 25-year-old will be a strong addition to the teams climbing group.

I’m incredibly excited to join the team because I feel it on the most inherent level represents the true Global and Worldwide reach that professional cycling is moving in. Not only does the team compete at the highest level of the sport, it translate our love of sport across all aspects of cycling, weighing equal importance on the bike as a necessity of transport, environment, and sport.

The team has shown to be a team that races – and truly races, not rides – at every event they participate in, and they do so with their hearts and pride on their sleeves. I’m proud of the opportunity to get to be a part of this team, and hopefully create opportunities for my teammates and myself that further demonstrate that racing from the hearts can win the hearts of the world. And to be back with Tyler, what can I say, he’s one of my best friends in the sport and I’ve missed racing with him. So to be back together is just huge! He’s a great captain and moral booster for any team so we are all lucky to be riding with him.
Nathan Haas – Rider

I am very excited to get the chance to ride for such a well-established and international team. I have had a great year and I only can thank my current team, Yet, for my development as a rider I feel like it’s time to move on. This team will help me stepping up.

I will do my best to live up to the team’s expectations. It would be great to get some good results in stage races and On the personal side, I want to achieve good results in stage races and help to put more children in rural areas in Africa on bikes through my performances.
Omar Fraile – Rider

Nathan is just the type of rider this team is all about. Great personality and willing to race aggressively. This type of visibility in races is very important to our #BicyclesChangeLives campaign. I think his style of racing will compliment another couple of our team riders and elevate them to more success together.

Going into La Vuelta I thought we should look out for Omar Fraile. It did not take long for Omar to shine as he obtained the King of the Mountains jersey after stage 3 and kept it all the way to the end. Having met Omar in Andorra during La Vuelta I could see a young talented rider with a great passion to succeed. We look forward to developing his talent even further and look forward to integrating Omar into our climbing group.
Brian Smith – General Manager

Comments

mon-goose

Sep 30, 2015, 8:18 AM

Dimension data must be pumping in quite a bit of cash into this team.,...... which is awesome.

Cav'

Sep 30, 2015, 8:56 AM

At this pace I wouldn't be surprised if they sign Jens Voight out of retirement..

Wez-O

Sep 30, 2015, 9:06 AM

This is all very exciting, but where does this leave South African riders? I for one would be more excited to see Willie Smit or Ryan Gibbons being signed up...

EmptyB

Sep 30, 2015, 9:24 AM

Throwing the cash around for sure........

Gen

Sep 30, 2015, 9:29 AM

Nevermind mtn/DD..the transfer marker had gone mad.. etixx being the big movers today..

TALUS

Sep 30, 2015, 9:31 AM

Nevermind mtn/DD..the transfer marker had gone mad.. etixx being the big movers today..

Please tell.
Gen

Sep 30, 2015, 9:34 AM

Please tell.

New partner sponsor (german discount store) and Kittel.

The announcement should be coming through very soon

Pure Savage

Sep 30, 2015, 9:38 AM

At this pace I wouldn't be surprised if they sign Jens Voight out of retirement..

Comment of the day!

Cav'

Sep 30, 2015, 9:42 AM

New partner sponsor (german discount store) and Kittel.

The announcement should be coming through very soon

That's a big one!

Shebeen

Sep 30, 2015, 9:52 AM

and then there's this one  - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/154408-exciting-new-rider-signs-for-qhubekadidata/ [spoiler alert - it's not true]

ScottCM

Sep 30, 2015, 9:58 AM

So out with the yellow of MTN and in with the Green of DD, hopefully the Kit will stand out from Cannondale Garmin enough to be noticed unlike this years. It was to close to Giant's kit from the helicopter's angles and i got the riders mixed up quite often.

T-Bob

Sep 30, 2015, 10:23 AM

Kittel for Etixx... wow, that's a f-you and a mind game to the manx man. Now they have Cav's bogey man as well as the very talented Gaviria. Wonder what that means for Trentin as well? 

Lidl is a big coin bringer and hopefully it'll make their awesome cycling sales get better and online so we can all get in on it! 

Gen

Sep 30, 2015, 10:27 AM

Kittel for Etixx... wow, that's a f-you and a mind game to the manx man. Now they have Cav's bogey man as well as the very talented Gaviria. Wonder what that means for Trentin as well?

Lidl is a big coin bringer and hopefully it'll make their awesome cycling sales get better and online so we can all get in on it!

Well before TDF started Lafevere said they were looking for 1 sprinter already.. that was the start of the big f-u to Cav.
xcd

Sep 30, 2015, 10:34 AM

So out with the yellow of MTN and in with the Green of DD, hopefully the Kit will stand out from Cannondale Garmin enough to be noticed unlike this years. It was to close to Giant's kit from the helicopter's angles and i got the riders mixed up quite often.

I do know they will be keeping the -Q-on their backs which I found was very identifiable from the air. I agree the green could clash with Cannondale Garmin and Caja Rural Seguros.

Prince

Sep 30, 2015, 10:40 AM

Hell I hope its not Europcar green!

Vetseun

Sep 30, 2015, 11:02 AM

Well I am just relieved that Frail has finally landed a job.

Gen

Sep 30, 2015, 11:29 AM

Well I am just relieved that Frail has finally landed a job.

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
BMCfan

Sep 30, 2015, 1:04 PM

No Venter or Vansnail?

:(

Gen

Sep 30, 2015, 2:34 PM

That's a big one!

Well still no confirmation on Kittel. .so we wait...it may just be another rumour.

The new sponsor though has been announced.

Frosty

Sep 30, 2015, 2:46 PM

Doug Ryder made it clear that they are ranked 18th on the team standings, and the ProTour for next year will have 18 teams. Applications can be submitted tomorrow (01/10) and feedback from the UCI is given at the end of October (or was it beginning of November).

IF (small word with a big meaning) they have everything in place, they could be a World Tour team next year, hence the (so-called) BIG NAME signings.

xcd

Sep 30, 2015, 3:04 PM

Doug Ryder made it clear that they are ranked 18th on the team standings, and the ProTour for next year will have 18 teams. Applications can be submitted tomorrow (01/10) and feedback from the UCI is given at the end of October (or was it beginning of November).

IF (small word with a big meaning) they have everything in place, they could be a World Tour team next year, hence the (so-called) BIG NAME signings.

Please clarify for me

He said they take the points from the top 5 riders and the team with the highest points gets chosen

Question: Is it the top 5 riders in the team this year - or - the top 5 he will have in the team next year. ?

Frosty

Sep 30, 2015, 3:12 PM

Please clarify for me

He said they take the points from the top 5 riders and the team with the highest points gets chosen

Question: Is it the top 5 riders in the team this year - or - the top 5 he will have in the team next year. ?

They're applying for next year, so as far as I umderstand it's based on riders signed up to ride next year.

Doug mentioned it last night on Supercycling and I've heard it before on other interviews.

The problem is that the reforms currently planned for the future are not agreed to by evetyone, so the ruling could change.

Wez-O

Oct 1, 2015, 6:27 AM

They're applying for next year, so as far as I umderstand it's based on riders signed up to ride next year.

Correct yes.

Thats why in past seasons (when there were more than 18 teams applying for the limited 18 licenses), once a rider announced he was leaving, the team would effectively drop him for the remainder of the season in order to not let him gain points for the new team.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment