Events

New-company boost for Morewood Bikes

· By Press Office · 128 comments

A new company, Morewood Bikes (Pty) Ltd, has been formed that will give the South African-based mountain bike brand, Morewood Bikes, a new range and a fresh focus on it’s primary bike categories of Gravity and Trail. The new company is owned by Richard Carter, Morewood Bikes co-founder and Victor Momsen, founder of Momsen Bikes, another successful South African mountain bike brand.

The first model from Morewood Bikes was completed in 1996 and the brand will celebrate the start of its third decade with a new range that includes a new suspension platform. It will also move from being a frame-only brand to also offering complete bikes.

ccs-62657-0-82827700-1453710868.jpgThe Morewood brand was developed in the downhill racing arena, the ultimate testing ground for mountain bike suspension performance and frame geometry. Morewood still has a strong presence in the downhill market, particularly in Europe, with plans to expand in 2017. Photo: Whippart

“We know we’ve been a bit quiet since we released the Makulu 27.5 at Eurobike in 2013, but much has still been going on behind the scenes,” said Carter.

“The market has changed rapidly over the past three years, especially in terms of wheel size (diameter and width) as well as a blurring of lines between traditional industry ‘standards’. This has put a lot of pressure on all the smaller brands to develop and adapt in order to stay relevant.

“While there have been some changes at Morewood Bikes, the core team has remained in place and we have been working hard on an exciting new suspension platform on which several new models will be based,” added Carter.

ccs-62657-0-04487700-1453710870.jpgThe Morewood Makulu is the ‘big daddy’ of the Morewood stable, offering 27.5-inch wheels, 203mm of rear suspension travel and second generation Stable Pivot Interface and Low Leverage Advantage design.

“The bike industry has changed significantly in terms of bike categories, marketing and retail strategy. We knew we could not continue to be successful as essentially a frame-only brand. We needed to evolve into a complete bike brand and offer product that was suitable for the local (South African) market, and not just focus on export markets as we have done historically,” said Carter.

“I’m excited to invest in the future and growth of Morewood Bikes, a mountain bike brand for discerning riders that’s achieved high levels of credibility both in South Africa and internationally over the past 20 years,” said Momsen.

“There are a number of synergies between Morewood Bikes and my own brand, but the most significant is that they’re both South African brands competing with foreign brands operating within the local (South African) and international markets.

“This is an exciting time to be in the mountain bike market – so many new technologies and trends are shaping the bikes we design and ride. Whilst the Momsen brand is known for our Marathon and Cross-country offerings, the Morewood brand has a reputation for producing bespoke Gravity and Trail-oriented bikes.

“By combining our resources and ideas, this partnership will allow both brands to leverage their respective strengths whilst maximising our resources and creative energies. Richard and I have known each for a long time and I am excited to help re-position the Morewood brand in the local and global market,” said Momsen.

ccs-62657-0-93731400-1453710872.jpgAll-mountain and Trail are the categories that Morewood will be expanding its current model offerings into with a new suspension design. Expect to see more Morewood models in the growing Enduro racing scene in 2017. Photo: Gary Perkin

The factory has been relocated and the Morewood Bikes brand has plans to continue with the manufacture of certain new models in South Africa. The core focus will still be on creating high quality mountain bikes in the mid-to-big suspension travel categories.

The new range of Morewood bikes will be launched prior to the annual Eurobike Show in Germany in September 2016. To get some early insight into the new designs and models, like the Morewood Bikes Facebook page and follow @Morewoodbikes on twitter.

For more on Morewood Bikes, visit www.morewoodbikes.com.

Comments

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jan 25, 2016, 8:47 AM

That is really, really good news... 

Jan 25, 2016, 8:47 AM

And a shoutout to the old Tokai... Sniff. 

popcorn_skollie

Jan 25, 2016, 8:48 AM

yes!

popcorn_skollie

Jan 25, 2016, 8:52 AM

No sneak peak at whats to come?

Jan 25, 2016, 8:54 AM

No sneak peak at whats to come?

none that I can see. They've only just moved into their new place. The bike show in september is when it's being released. 

rock

Jan 25, 2016, 8:54 AM

Vipa Trail = Morewood somethingorother?

Jan 25, 2016, 8:58 AM

I wouldn't think so. It's too close to production, IMO. And it'd be a cop-out as we already know it's a Momsen. 

More like Morewood = 140 plus, Momsen 90 plus. 

T-Bob

Jan 25, 2016, 9:02 AM

So where is the factory been relocated to? 

popcorn_skollie

Jan 25, 2016, 9:02 AM

I don't think so. Its a 29er. More like Morewood's hot older cousin who hangs out with them sometimes.

popcorn_skollie

Jan 25, 2016, 9:04 AM

I wouldn't think so. It's too close to production, IMO. And it'd be a cop-out as we already know it's a Momsen. 

More like Morewood = 140 plus, Momsen 90 plus. 

Yeah they have deep roots in gravity orientated riding while Momsen is more into the racy stuff. Nice to see them come together. 

IH8MUD

Jan 25, 2016, 9:05 AM

This news is going to give many riders in SA even more wood . .  :whistling:

nonky

Jan 25, 2016, 9:13 AM

Good news - we need the local guys to thrive.

Fr33rider

Jan 25, 2016, 9:14 AM

XL frames.... PLEASE

Gen

Jan 25, 2016, 9:15 AM

Brilliant

Odinson

Jan 25, 2016, 9:17 AM

First peak in September? Joh. By that time we'll have three new wheel sizes, new hub standards and gearboxes.

Ryanpmb

Jan 25, 2016, 9:20 AM

Little co-lab with Patrick. Little co-lab with Morewood. Keeping it in the family. Nice.

More Wood

Jan 25, 2016, 9:28 AM

Didn't Pat Morewood help design the VIPA? So if Momsem uses the knowledge they have at hand to help Morewood (The Company), Pat would have actually helped design the new Morewood (The Bike)...again.

popcorn_skollie

Jan 25, 2016, 9:28 AM

Just give me a little taste. I don't know if I can wait another year for a new bike. I mean this news makes me really REALLY want to. I'm sick of making sommertjies for imports. I just need a little something to get by. Please...

BDF

Jan 25, 2016, 9:43 AM

Big ups for Richard and this venture! I think I may have bought the last bike from Morewood before they moved in December.

Eddy Gordo

Jan 25, 2016, 9:46 AM

Nice stuff.

But there only a few originals

Traverse

Jan 25, 2016, 9:55 AM

Great news, just hope they lean more to morewood[emoji6]

Hairy

Jan 25, 2016, 10:18 AM

now I would love to see the Shova come back as a 27.5 trail ripping single pivot machine.

think longer TT

slacker HA

allow for taper head tube

stealth dropper routing

thru axel rear

damned I am getting excited just typing this.

Sidewinder.

Jan 25, 2016, 10:24 AM

First peak in September? Joh. By that time we'll have three new wheel sizes, new hub standards and gearboxes.

Gearboxes are like cures to cancer...solves a problem completely but then how do you keep making money like that?

Bizkit031

Jan 25, 2016, 10:26 AM

Daaaaamn hell yea,the resurrection of Morewood bikes.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment