Events

New dedicated start group for elite ladies at Cape Town Cycle Tour

· By Press Office · 19 comments

In a massive step for women’s cycling, the Cape Town Cycle Tour has introduced a dedicated group for elite ladies. 2012 Cycle Tour winner Ashleigh Moolman Pasio believes this milestone move will shake up the women’s race “in a good way.”

For the first time in 38 years, elite ladies cyclists will ride the Cape Town Cycle Tour on equal terms with their male counterparts after organisers of the Cycle Tour, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, heeded calls for them to be seeded in their own group, rather than among the racing Vets as in previous years.

David Bellairs, a director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, says: “After much engagement and discussion with the ladies committee late last year, and a number of internal discussions, the Cape town Cycle Tour is pleased and proud to announce that elite ladies participating in the 2015 Cycle Tour will have their own start group.”

Moolman Pasio said she was thrilled at the chance to ride with the top women cyclists in their own starting group, adding that she was convinced it would have a positive impact on the event. “I think it will make it really exciting for the racing ladies and for the spectators. Nine times out of 10 the men’s contest ends in a dramatic sprint finish, and with the women racing alone this year, it will surely shake things up in a good way – hopefully with some exciting breakaways along the route.”

The announcement of 25-time Tour de France stage winner Mark Cavendish and his teammate Mark Renshaw participating in the 2015 event has introduced stiff podium competition for South Africa’s pro men, but with their own start group, the ladies are set for an equal share of the spotlight this year.

Among the female cycling legends who will line up at the start of the world’s largest timed cycle race on Hertzog Boulevard to compete for the coveted title are: Moolman Pasio, recently crowned SA sports woman of the year and who returned from last week’s African Road Cycling Championships in KwaZulu-Natal with five gold medals; Cycle Tour’s defending champion Cherise Stander; seven-time Cycle Tour winner Anriette Schoeman; Swedish National Champion Jennie Stenerhag; and last year’s third place finisher An-Li Kachelhoffer.

Defending champion Cherise Stander echoed these sentiments, saying: “I’ve always enjoyed riding with the men as it has made Cycle Tour an aggressive race – something I love – but with the calibre of female cyclists we have competing at the moment, the dedicated elite ladies group will make it a tough event with tactic being the most important factor.”

Despite a recent injury during a mountain biking event, Stander is determined to defend her title, adding: “I’ve been doing a lot of mountain bike racing lately. While this impacts on my level of speed and attacks, it has definitely made me tougher endurance-wise.”

Anriette Schoeman, who has a long track record of Cycle Tour wins, adds: “Cycle Tour is not like any other race. It always pushes your limits and is in another league altogether. While I’ve always found riding with the men very exciting, it is brilliant that the organisers have women’s cycling at heart.”

Moolman Pasio, who has secured a continuation of Momentum’s long-term support as her main sponsor, said she had been training hard in the hopes of being crowned the Cycle Tour winner for the second time. “My training has been going really well and I’m looking forward to the race next month.”

Join the conversation using: #CycleTour2015

Related posts

Comments

rock

Feb 25, 2015, 10:19 AM

racing should be better, but will the winning time be slower?

edit: spelling

Tubehunter

Feb 25, 2015, 10:23 AM

GO FIRE GO!!!!!

Skubarra

Feb 25, 2015, 10:27 AM

Wonder where they will start as I'm sure a few of the open groups would be faster?

Tubehunter

Feb 25, 2015, 10:30 AM

Looks like they are the 1B group. So going off after 1A but before 1C

KidCharlemagne

Feb 25, 2015, 10:32 AM

Will be caught by 1C

Skubarra

Feb 25, 2015, 10:35 AM

See they start 1m 30s before 1C - they will be caught long before Smits...

Pure Savage

Feb 25, 2015, 10:39 AM

See they start 1m 30s before 1C - they will be caught long before Smits...

Its really hard finding a spot to put them if they are on their aces.

Skubarra

Feb 25, 2015, 10:49 AM

Its really hard finding a spot to put them if they are on their aces.

Yep, think it's impossible...

Maybe give them a bigger gap but I don't think there are enough strong ladies to keep the group ahead of the wolves  ^_^

koukie

Feb 25, 2015, 10:57 AM

My email from CTCT show they will start after racing tandems? $, racing tandems, elite ladies then VA etc?

Pure Savage

Feb 25, 2015, 11:01 AM

My email from CTCT show they will start after racing tandems? $, racing tandems, elite ladies then VA etc?

Have a look on ractec, put in a top ladies name and see that start time.

koukie

Feb 25, 2015, 11:07 AM

Have a look on ractec, put in a top ladies name and see that start time.

You are correct they do start after VA, so the mail is wrong then I guess.

Red Zone

Feb 25, 2015, 11:49 AM

I am sure that this was done quite a few years ago. The ladies rode easy up hospital bend waited for the subvets to catch them and then rode the rest of the race with the boys. Will probably happen again

milky4130

Feb 26, 2015, 2:18 AM

Not with a comissiare in place, they would either be told to back off & let which ever group catch them pass & also warn other batches not to latch on. Essentially they should be on their own from start to end.

City Cycling Athletic Club

Feb 26, 2015, 4:53 AM

the ladies have a different mindset nowadays with a few of them racin o/seas, it should be an improvement from previous Argus's where they have had dedicated races. 

Skubarra

Feb 26, 2015, 10:56 AM

Not with a comissiare in place, they would either be told to back off & let which ever group catch them pass & also warn other batches not to latch on. Essentially they should be on their own from start to end.

Good luck to the commissioner telling a bunch of amateur racing snakes chasing a sub-3 to back off... 

milky4130

Feb 26, 2015, 11:08 AM

Good luck to the commissioner telling a bunch of amateur racing snakes chasing a sub-3 to back off... 

yeah i know it will be difficult but the discretion would also lie with the Ladies, they either need to ride to stay away or if get caught by the alphabet soup to back off & let them pass. That is if they don't want any mingling when it comes down to a bunch sprint. If they don't then i guess they don't have a leg to stand on & complain as in previous years.

Mongoose!

Feb 26, 2015, 1:03 PM

Will be caught by 1C

jip - will try my best.

Marius

Feb 26, 2015, 1:12 PM

C might catch them sure, but those ladies will drop them on Suikerbossie  :thumbup:

milky4130

Feb 26, 2015, 2:01 PM

C might catch them sure, but those ladies will drop them on Suikerbossie :thumbup:

and Chappies

Add a comment

You must log in to comment