Events

Nino Shurter and Philip Buys to partner up for Absa Cape Epic

· By Press Office · 25 comments

Newly formed Swiss / South African duo Nino Schurter (27) and Philip Buys (24) will participate in this year’s Absa Cape Epic, which takes place from 23 to 30 March, for the first time as team Scott-Odlo Racing. The dramatic new route of the event, now in its eleventh year, will be as challenging as previous years.

ccs-41808-0-87651300-1393509393.jpg

Image credit: Nick Muzik/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

The race, the biggest of its kind in the world, will offer both local and international mountain biking enthusiasts the opportunity to participate in an eight day mountain bike race of 718km up approximately 14 850m of climbing, with the final stage again finishing at Lourensford Wine Estate.

Schurter has won the World Cup overall three times and has eleven World Cup wins to his name. He is a two time Olympic medallist, and also a silver medallist at the 2011 Cross-country World Championships and the Under 23 World Champion twice. He is also four-times Cross-country European Champion and 6 times Swiss Champion. Buys, on the other hand, is the current African Cross-country Champion, the 2013 South African Cross-country Champion and has 4 Absa Cape Epics under his belt.

Says Schurter “We’re racing together for the first time and I’m really looking forward to it. Philip is a great guy and a great talent. His experiences on stage races in the South African heat and my experiences in cross-country races will make us super strong. Our goal is to win the race. You always need a little bit of luck to successfully complete the Absa Cape Epic.” Buys adds that he feels honored to ride with the fastest rider on the planet. “I’m slightly nervous, but my excitement overpowers the nervousness. And I feel confident! We have great support, ride the best equipment and are training hard, so we’re making sure our chances are good.”

ccs-41808-0-32505500-1393509407.jpg

Image credit: Greg Beadle/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

With regards to training together, Schurter comments: “We’re doing training camps in Stellenbosch. My training is different to that of previous years. I’m focusing more on stage races in the first half of the year, so I’m training more on long distance.” Buys comments: “In previous years, the Absa Cape Epic just formed part of my buildup for the rest of the season. This year, the event is a peak of my 2014 season with preparations starting a few weeks earlier.”

Schurter has not studied the route, but says, the “Absa Cape Epic routes are always tough, but our combined skills and experience will make us one of the favourite teams for first place.” Buys reckons “Racing is unpredictable and it’s best to take it day by day. We both have a few years’ experience racing the Absa Cape Epic and I think we’re both very efficient bike riders – efficiency is key to winning this race”.

Schurter will never forget his first Absa Cape Epic: “During my first event in 2010 I bonked while in the lead with Florian Vogel on the last 10km of a stage. This experience I will never forget.” Buys concludes: “My highlight is definitely sprinting for the stage win with Matthys (Beukes) on the final day at last year’s Absa Cape Epic! I think this year’s race will be an enjoyable experience and the more fun we have, the less the pain will be and the better our result will be. I’m excited for the challenge!”

Lourensford Wine Estate will once again host the finish of the race and The Grand Finale celebrations on 30 March 2014. The Grand Finale will include the Liqui-Fruit Vineyard Trail and MTB races (http://www.vineyard-races.co.za/vr/), live entertainment, a Farmer’s Market, delectable food and wine, as well as glorious scenery. Absa Cape Epic vantage points will be accessible to the general public, so that all can enjoy the mountain biking action. There will also be a Kids Zone offering fun activities such as a cycling race, jumping castles, games, face painting and more. Entrance is free.

Follow the Absa Cape Epic at www.cape-epic.com, on Twitter (@absacapeepic), Facebook (www.facebook.com/capeepic) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/absacapeepic).

Related posts

Comments

rock

Feb 27, 2014, 2:09 PM

Buys only 24?? ill be an awesome experience for him.

Sharkie 2

Feb 27, 2014, 2:25 PM

Buys only 24?? ill be an awesome experience for him.

He should be turning 25 this year iirc

Gen

Feb 27, 2014, 2:46 PM

I see they say they are ..In it win it ..

Natural Defender

Feb 27, 2014, 7:01 PM

That is fantastic for Buys. Good luck lads. You have my support.

Matts 300

Feb 27, 2014, 7:20 PM

Think Buys and Schurter will be my team I support for the win this year. Would be great to see a SA boy up on the winning podium!

MrFine

Feb 27, 2014, 7:25 PM

I think Buys and Schurter will really compliment each other.Both tough as nails and a will to win.My team to watch.

martinvdw

Feb 27, 2014, 8:25 PM

See on twitter, Buys will also be riding a 27.5" scott spark at the epic...

Meentb

Feb 27, 2014, 9:57 PM

See on twitter, Buys will also be riding a 27.5" scott spark at the epic...

And a bloody nice machine as well.

Really hope Phil gets good exposure after this.

post-18061-0-70525800-1393538239_thumb.jpg

Sworks20

Feb 28, 2014, 4:41 AM

Im not sure they will win it but I am sure of a stage win and maybe a overall podium. I also dont think they have a option from Scott to ride anything else but this size wheel bike. I may be wrong.

martinsnyman

Feb 28, 2014, 4:55 AM

Im not sure they will win it but I am sure of a stage win and maybe a overall podium. I also dont think they have a option from Scott to ride anything else but this size wheel bike. I may be wrong.

I agree on the wheelsize, these guys have to ride the flavour of the month, how else are thy gonna sell the new wheel sizes - sure if you gave Buys the option he would have been on a 29er!
Bat-ass

Feb 28, 2014, 5:10 AM

On that type of terrain surely 29er is optimum?

No reason to ride 27,5 other then marketing.

Tumbleweed

Feb 28, 2014, 5:17 AM

On that type of terrain surely 29er is optimum?

No reason to ride 27,5 other then marketing.

What has Nino ridden in the last Epics? He's often voiced his preference for 650B.

Bat-ass

Feb 28, 2014, 5:30 AM

What has Nino ridden in the last Epics? He's often voiced his preference for 650B.

Yip, 100% he was on a 27,5.... and he has voiced his preference.... just hope he hasnt forced it on Phillip. Philip has raced on nothing other than 29er for a long while. Epic terrain vs. 29 .vs. 27,5?? We''ll see!!!

I'm not convinced that height is a big factor in wheel size when amongst average height people, but Phillip is also alot taller than Nico.

camelman

Feb 28, 2014, 5:38 AM

Yep, gotta ride what the boss tells you to ride. If it puts the food on the table, you don't exactly have a choice.

Tumbleweed

Feb 28, 2014, 5:42 AM

Yep, gotta ride what the boss tells you to ride. If it puts the food on the table, you don't exactly have a choice.

Thing is though, Nino was quite involved in developing Scott's 650B bike.

camelman

Feb 28, 2014, 5:45 AM

Thing is though, Nino was quite involved in developing Scott's 650B bike.

Was actually referring to Philip riding the 650b. And you are right about Nino and the 650b development. I think he might be the "boss" I was referring too :whistling: .

Messier87

Feb 28, 2014, 6:18 AM

Ahhh damn - now I need to sell my 29er!

Chro Mo

Feb 28, 2014, 6:21 AM

For a rider of Buys' talent, wheel-size means very little.

He would do well on a 24". He is that good.

Stoffies1

Feb 28, 2014, 12:23 PM

The pic above... Nino's looks like he is riding a 29er???

Gen

Feb 28, 2014, 12:24 PM

Nah Nino is def on 27.5 for epic.. he tweeted so ;)

jcza

Feb 28, 2014, 12:29 PM

Nice guys and great looking bikes but can't see them on the podium.

Jaco-fiets

Mar 2, 2014, 7:14 PM

Would love to see these guys do well!

For me the bulls must be favourite. They seem to be in great form. Def cheering for Sauzie and company as well. Always love to see Hermida do well.

Think i might be on the money with these 4 teams at least making up 3 of the top 5 spots

canadonis

Mar 3, 2014, 5:28 AM

It will be interesting to see how many 650b will be in the field fr th Epic. Giant also has a big push on 650b, would be interesting if they support a team what they would ride. Predominantly 29ers in 2013 and 2012 Epics.

SL7

Mar 30, 2014, 8:02 AM

Anybody know what gearing they have on their bikes?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment