Events

Niyonshuti, Van Zyl & Jim renew contracts with MTN-Qhubeka

· By Press Office · 1 comment

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung is delighted to extend contracts with Adrien Niyonshuti, Johann van Zyl and Songezo Jim into 2015.

ccs-62657-0-29839900-1412065579.jpg

Niyonshuti is one of the longest standing members of Team MTN-Qhubeka after joining the squad back in 2009. Jim joined the team from the beginning of the 2012 season while Van Zyl came across when the team turned Pro-Continental at the beginning of last season. As the team look to target more World Tour races next season, having each of these talented riders continue their careers at MTN-Qhubeka is an exciting prospect for African cycling.

Team MTN-Qhubeka is placing its GC hopes on the shoulders of our young African climbers in 2015, Niyonshuti, Jim & Van Zyl will take on more responsibility in each race, be it in a supporting role or as an opportunist who could affect the outcome of the race.

I really feel so happy to stay with Team MTN-Qhubeka. It means a lot to me because I have been part of the team since 2009, it’s like the team own a piece of my heart so to continue with them in 2015 is great. I will do everything I can to assist my teammates in the new season so that we can be successful as team. I also hope I will be able to achieve a good result personally, because I feel I have it in me. I will look for the breakaway every chance I get and generally, to race consistently well too.

Adrien Niyonshuti

I feel really fortunate and privileged to be able to extend with the team for another season. My 2014 season had many ups and downs, more downs actually, so I’m looking forward to putting it behind me and working hard this winter to reach my goals. I think 2015 is going to be a really exciting season for the team and I’m looking forward to working my butt off to get the Qhubeka name out there as much as possible.

Johann van Zyl

I am very happy to renew my contract with MTN-Qhubeka, for me it is the best set up to be at. I’m looking forward to 2015 already especially with all the big names arriving. I spoke to Tyler Farrar at the Tour of Britain, the motivation and spirit he has to join us was unreal and very exciting for me. These guys are mostly coming from the World Tour level so they are experienced, and as African riders we need that in our team in order to grow as a team and to expand our project as a whole. My goals for 2015 will be to help the team and possibly get a chance at some point to show myself. A big goal would also be to start my first grand tour next year.
Songezo Jim
Riders like Adrien, Songezo and Johann define our team, they have shown what is possible if you work hard, have huge commitment and talent to take on the challenges of racing in the world tour of cycling. They are living their dreams every day they get out on their bikes and try to make every opportunity a memorable one, with the experience coming in 2015 to Team MTN-Qhubeka these guys will continue to learn and fast track themselves to cycling success.
Team Principal – Douglas Ryder

Comments

lesego.2

Sep 30, 2014, 8:47 PM

Mtb qhubeka is breaking barriers and putting our talented African riders on the world stage,so proud !

Add a comment

You must log in to comment